Girls Development Academy

Here is an answer - if the stated purpose is player development, recording win-loss-tie results is measuring the wrong thing.
I somewhat agree, for the youngers. For the olders, the competition is needed to push the players.

I somewhat agree, for the youngers. For the olders, the competition is needed to push the players.
Nonsense. What is needed is a method of measuring what is allegedly being provided, with real consequences for the players, coaches, and teams/clubs that do not measure up.

Here is an answer - if the stated purpose is player development, recording win-loss-tie results is measuring the wrong thing.

The stated purpose is to develop better soccer players so that they win games at higher levels of competition. Development is not a goal in of itself. If you are developing players, they should learn to win the right way at the lower levels and then work their way up to higher levels. Competition also drives kids to become better and develop under a more intense environment. Everyone knows there is a big difference in intensity between playing showcase games and, for instance, tournament games. The only reason not to keep win/loss records is that competition drives some parents/coaches to use tactics that are not in the best interest of a player's long-term development. But the misuse of tactics by some doesn't mean win/losses an irrelevant data point when assessing development. Are wins over emphasized by some? Certainly. Irrelevant? Hardly.

Also, there are a lot of people that would argue that we should put more emphasis on winning and losing through promotion and relegation of clubs.

For those interested, there was a great HBO segment on development of soccer in Japan.
It really challenges the common belief on this forum that Americans don't know how to develop soccer players. The youtube clip doesn't give justice to Tom Byer's influence on soccer in Japan. You need to watch the full segment to get a sense of how he helped change Japanese soccer culture.

For those interested, there was a great HBO segment on development of soccer in Japan.
It really challenges the common belief on this forum that Americans don't know how to develop soccer players. The youtube clip doesn't give justice to Tom Byer's influence on soccer in Japan. You need to watch the full segment to get a sense of how he helped change Japanese soccer culture.

Other countries have soccer balls all over the house, we have the Fisher-Price adjustable basketball hoop. We don't lack creativity in basketball.

Please elaborate on how it is a waste of time? Prior to GDA, would you say the same thing about ECNL? Cause the percentages don’t change. Or are you just saying that playing against some of the best players and teams possible is dumb?
ECNL was the top program for girls, so they played with and against the best and were able to play HS if they wanted to. They also didn't follow FIFA sub rules. If the National team players can't adjust to FIFA sub rules after playing one game then there is a bigger problem with the players than US soccer is aware of. Only the top 1% will ever, ever play under FIFA sub rules.
Why would records count if the purpose is player development?
Other countries have soccer balls all over the house, we have the Fisher-Price adjustable basketball hoop. We don't lack creativity in basketball.
We have soccer balls everywhere! Watch your step in our house!

master:TAC089.jpg
Highly recommend

ECNL was the top program for girls, so they played with and against the best and were able to play HS if they wanted to. They also didn't follow FIFA sub rules. If the National team players can't adjust to FIFA sub rules after playing one game then there is a bigger problem with the players than US soccer is aware of. Only the top 1% will ever, ever play under FIFA sub rules.

We have soccer balls everywhere! Watch your step in our house!

FIFA substitution rules originated with team owners who did not want to pay for more players.

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere in this thread and I hate to be redundant but 136 pages is a lot to sift through so...

Even after only half a year of DA, the players that are getting maximum playing time should be improving simply as a result of the caliber of their competition.

I'm particularly curious to hear opinions of those whose players are getting 5 - 20 minutes a game (or not getting any playing time at all). It's one thing to practice against the best competition, but it's hard to improve if those skills developed during practice aren't given time to be applied under game conditions.

But if the players are developing as a whole wouldn’t they play better and win more? What am I missing?

Could be that some teams are playing 12-14 girls for most of every game. And they win because these are the strongest players.
Another team could be giving quality minutes to a larger pool from their roster and they lose because of it.
Another possibility is that the team took the best 18 players that showed up, without regard for the position they play. And now they are putting the pieces together/teaching girls something new.

But if the players are developing as a whole wouldn’t they play better and win more? What am I missing?
Not necessarily. I see the better teams lose all the time. I've seen it from professional to youth. For example just a week or two ago I watched ManU beat Arsenal but the Gunners were the better team.

Last edited:
No 06 age group next year. 06’s can play up with 05’s.

No splitting of 02/03 age groups, next year.

No change in sub rules.

Atlantic division and Frontier division will piolet 06 age group. They will also piolet U16 and U17 split.

Back