Girls Academy has been approved as a full member of U.S. Soccer

Carlsbad7

PREMIER

We are proud to announce that Girls Academy has been approved as a full member of U.S. Soccer. We cannot wait to partner with the very best in the soccer ecosystem to accelerate the development of the game and continue our growth as an elite girls youth soccer platform

As long as this is actually U.S. Soccer Federation and not U.S Club Soccer (seems like it to me?) then from the US Soccer site:

Benefits of Membership with the United States Soccer Federation

MEMBERSHIP WITH THE UNITED STATES SOCCER FEDERATION COMES WITH MANY BENEFITS. SOME OF THESE BENEFITS ARE OUTLINED BELOW:

IN THE AREA OF GOVERNANCE

• US SOCCER PROVIDES THE INTERFACE WITH IOC, USOC, FIFA, AND CONCACAF
  • EACH MEMBER MAY USE THE US SOCCER APPEAL PROCESS
  • MEDIATION FOR DISPUTES
  • SETTLEMENT OF GRIEVANCES BETWEEN ORGANIZATIONAL MEMBERS
  • MEETING AND EVENT PLANNING AND LOGISTICS FOR ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING, BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETINGS, COMMITTEE MEETINGS AND ALL SPECIAL MEETINGS OF THE FEDERATION.
  • PARTICIPATION IN FORMULATING THE BYLAWS AND POLICIES REGARDING GOVERNANCE OF SOCCER IN THE UNITED STATES
  • LINKS FROM US SOCCER WEBSITE TO THE WEBSITES OF AFFILIATES
  • UPDATE AND PUBLISH ON THE WEBSITE BYLAWS AND POLICIES
  • COLLECTION AND POSTING OF MINUTES OF MEETINGS

COACHING

• OFFICIAL FIFA LICENSING PROGRAM FOR ALL LEVELS OF COACH
  • EDUCATION OF COACHES THROUGH DEVELOPMENT AND PRESENTATION OF MATERIALS
  • CONTINUING EDUCATION OPPORTUNITIES FOR COACHES

REFEREES

• EDUCATION THROUGH PRODUCTION AND PRESENTATION OF MATERIALS BY US SOCCER REFEREE DEPARTMENT
  • LICENSING AND INSURING OF US SOCCER REGISTERED REFEREES
  • CONTINUING EDUCATION OF REFEREES
  • TRAINING AND LICENSING OF INSTRUCTORS, ASSESSORS AND ASSIGNORS
  • PRIORITY RIGHTS IN GAME COVERAGE GOES TO AFFILIATED GAMES
  • UP TO DATE WEBSITE FOR REFEREE INFORMATION

INTERNATIONAL GAMES

• APPROVAL OF APPLICATIONS FOR INTERNATIONAL GAMES
  • APPROVAL PROCESS FACILITATED WITH FOREIGN NATIONAL ASSOCIATIONS FOR ALL INTERNATIONAL SOCCER GAMES AND EVENTS

COMMUNICATIONS

• E-MAIL PARTICIPATION IN THE US SOCCER COMMUNICATIONS CENTER, WHICH PROVIDES UPDATES ON THE STATUS OF US SOCCER, NATIONAL TEAMS AND THE SPORT DIRECTLY TO YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS
  • NOTIFICATION OF NATIONAL TEAM GAMES AND TELEVISION SCHEDULE
  • FIRST RIGHT TO PURCHASE TICKETS FOR ALL US SOCCER OPERATED EVENTS – THIS GIVES YOU THE CHANCE TO PURCHASE TICKETS BEFORE THE PUBLIC SALE.

PLAYING OPPORTUNITIES

• AFFILIATION AND PLAYING OPPORTUNITIES OPEN TO ALL IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE TED STEVENS AMATEUR SPORTS ACT
  • SELECTION AND FUNDING OF NATIONAL TEAMS AND PROGRAMS FOR BOYS AND GIRLS, BEGINNING AT AGE 14
  • TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT OF PLAYERS
  • GAME AND EVENT OPERATIONS

OTHER BENEFITS

• APPROVAL OF INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL
  • APPROVAL OF PERMISSION TO HOST INTERNATIONAL TEAMS
  • PROFESSIONAL PLAYER REGISTRATION
  • PROVIDE INFORMATION TO AMATEUR MEMBERS REGARDING PRO STATUS AND INTERNATIONAL CLEARANCE STATUS OF PLAYERS
  • SOLICIT AND TRACK INTERNATIONAL CLEARANCES

Responsibilities of Membership in the United States Soccer Federation

WHILE BEING A MEMBER IN THE US SOCCER FEDERATION ENTITLES YOU TO A NUMBER OF BENEFITS, THERE ARE ALSO RESPONSIBILITIES THAT ORGANIZATIONAL MEMBERS ARE EXPECTED TO FULFILL. SOME OF THESE RESPONSIBILITIES ARE LISTED BELOW:

EACH ORGANIZATIONAL MEMBER MUST DO THE FOLLOWING:

• EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW, COMPLY WITH ALL BYLAWS, POLICIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THE FEDERATION, AND ALL STATUTES, REGULATIONS, DIRECTIVES AND DECISIONS OF FIFA AND CONCACAF, EACH AS THEY MAY BE AMENDED OR MODIFIED FROM TIME-TO-TIME, TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE TO THAT CLASSIFICATION OF ORGANIZATION MEMBER.
  • MAKE AVAILABLE TO THE FEDERATION ANY AMENDMENT TO ITS ORGANIZATIONAL DOCUMENTS OR ITS GOVERNING DOCUMENTS.
  • SUBMIT TO THE FEDERATION ITS MOST CURRENT ANNUAL FINANCIAL STATEMENTS WITHIN NINETY (90) DAYS AFTER THE END OF ITS FISCAL YEAR.
  • EXCEPT ASSOCIATES AND AS PROVIDED BY SECTION 1 OF BYLAW 601

• REQUIRE THAT EVERY PLAYER, COACH, TRAINER, MANAGER, ADMINISTRATOR AND OFFICIAL THAT IS SPONSORED, FINANCED, COACHED, ORGANIZED OR ADMINISTERED BY AN ORGANIZATION MEMBER OR A MEMBER ORGANIZATION OF AN ORGANIZATION MEMBER BE REGISTERED WITH THE APPROPRIATE ORGANIZATION MEMBER; AND

• REGISTER WITH THE FEDERATION EACH SEASONAL YEAR THE NAMES AND ADDRESSES OF THOSE PLAYERS, COACHES, TRAINERS, MANAGERS, ADMINISTRATORS, AND OFFICIALS REGISTERED WITH SUCH ORGANIZATION MEMBER.

• PAY FEES AND OTHER AMOUNTS DUE TO THE FEDERATION BY DEADLINES SET BY THE FEDERATION.

• COMPLY WITH THE SPORTS ACT.

• IF THE ORGANIZATION MEMBER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR RECRUITING, TRAINING, FIELDING OR FUNDING SOCCER PLAYERS, ESTABLISH A RISK MANAGEMENT PROGRAM TO PROMOTE THE SAFETY AND PROTECT THE WELFARE OF PARTICIPANTS.

• EXCEPT WITH RESPECT TO A PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE, THE MEMBERSHIP OF THE ORGANIZATION MEMBER AND ITS MEMBER ORGANIZATIONS SHALL BE OPEN TO ANY INDIVIDUAL WHO IS AN AMATEUR ATHLETE, COACH, TRAINER, MANAGER, ADMINISTRATOR, OR OFFICIAL ACTIVE IN THE SPORT OF SOCCER WHO IS NOT SUBJECT TO SUSPENSION UNDER SECTION 4 OF BYLAW 241 OR PURSUANT TO THE DISCIPLINARY OR RISK MANAGEMENT ACTION OF ANY AMATEUR SOCCER ORGANIZATION IN ITS TERRITORY; AND EXCEPT FOR A NATIONAL ASSOCIATION, THE MEMBERSHIP OF THE ORGANIZATION MEMBER AND ITS MEMBER ORGANIZATIONS SHALL BE OPEN TO ANY AMATEUR SOCCER ORGANIZATION IN ITS TERRITORY.
  • THE ARTICLES OF INCORPORATION OF THE FEDERATION, ITS RULES AND POLICIES, AND THESE BYLAWS, INCLUDING BYLAW 603 GOVERNING INTERPLAY, SHALL TAKE PRECEDENCE OVER AND SUPERSEDE THE ORGANIZATIONAL AND GOVERNING DOCUMENTS OF THE ORGANIZATION MEMBER AND ITS MEMBER ORGANIZATIONS EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW OTHERWISE REQUIRES AND THE ORGANIZATION MEMBER AND ITS MEMBER ORGANIZATIONS SHALL ABIDE BY THE ARTICLES OF INCORPORATION OF THE FEDERATION, ITS DULY APPROVED BINDING RULES AND POLICIES, AND THESE BYLAWS.
  • THE ORGANIZATION MEMBER SHALL NOT BECOME A MEMBER OF ANY ORGANIZATION THAT IMPOSES ANY REQUIREMENT THAT CONFLICTS WITH THE ARTICLES OF INCORPORATION OF THE FEDERATION, ITS RULES AND POLICIES, OR THESE BYLAWS.
  • EXCEPT WITH RESPECT TO A PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE AND FOR-PROFIT ORGANIZATION MEMBERS, THE ORGANIZATION MEMBER SHALL HAVE A BOARD OF DIRECTORS (OR SIMILAR BODY) SELECTED THROUGH AN OPEN AND DEMOCRATIC ELECTION PROCESS.
  • EXCEPT WITH RESPECT TO A PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE, THE ACTIONS AND POLICIES ADOPTED BY THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS (OR SIMILAR BODY), EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE OF THE BOARD (OR SIMILAR BODY), OR OFFICERS OF THE ORGANIZATION MEMBER SHALL BE REPORTED TO ITS MEMBERSHIP, OR THEIR AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVES, AT LEAST ONCE EACH YEAR AT A MEETING OF THE ORGANIZATION MEMBER’S MEMBERSHIP, WITH NOTICE OF THE MEETING AND ITS PURPOSES GIVEN TO SUCH MEMBERSHIP AT LEAST FIFTEEN (15) DAYS IN ADVANCE OF THE MEETING.
  • THE ORGANIZATION MEMBER SHALL PROVIDE PROMPT AND EQUITABLE PROCEDURES FOR RESOLUTION OF COMPLAINTS OF ITS MEMBERS AND PROCEDURES FOR FAIR NOTICE AND AN OPPORTUNITY FOR A HEARING WITH RESPECT TO ANY COMPLAINT OF ANY ATHLETE, COACH, TRAINER, MANAGER, ADMINISTRATOR OR OFFICIAL WHO IS A MEMBER OF THE ORGANIZATION MEMBER, OR A MEMBER ORGANIZATION THEREOF, CONCERNING A PROPOSED DECLARATION THAT ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL IS INELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE PROGRAMS OR OTHER ACTIVITIES OF SUCH ORGANIZATION MEMBER OR A MEMBER ORGANIZATION THEREOF AND SUCH PROCEDURES SHALL CONFORM, AS APPLICABLE, TO THE PROVISIONS OF PART VII OF THESE BYLAWS.
  • THE ORGANIZATION MEMBER SHALL ADOPT POLICIES PROHIBITING SEXUAL AND PHYSICAL ABUSE.
  • THE FEDERATION MAY AUDIT OR REVIEW AN ORGANIZATION MEMBER TO DETERMINE COMPLIANCE WITH THE PROVISIONS OF SECTION 3. THE FEDERATION’S REVIEW SHALL BE PERFORMED BY A TASK FORCE OR COMMITTEE DESIGNATED BY THE BOARD.
  • IF AN ORGANIZATION MEMBER INTENDS OR IS BEING COMPELLED BY LAW TO DISSOLVE OR OTHERWISE TERMINATE ITS EXISTENCE FOR ANY REASON, IT SHALL IMMEDIATELY NOTIFY THE FEDERATION.

Oh and the current list of membership organizations are here: https://www.ussoccer.com/organization-members-directory

Includes other organizations you may have heard of including:

UNITED PREMIER SOCCER LEAGUE​

NATIONAL AFFILIATE

US YOUTH FUTSAL​

NATIONAL AFFILIATE

AYSO​

NATIONAL ASSOCIATION

US ADULT SOCCER​

NATIONAL ASSOCIATION

US CLUB SOCCER​

NATIONAL ASSOCIATION

US YOUTH SOCCER​

NATIONAL ASSOCIATION

UNITED FUTSAL​

OTHER AFFILIATE

UNITED STATES SPECIALTY SPORTS ASSOCIATION-SOCCER​

OTHER AFFILIATE

US FUTSAL​

OTHER AFFILIATE

MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER​

PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE

NATIONAL INDEPENDENT SOCCER ASSOCIATION​

PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE

NATIONAL WOMEN'S SOCCER LEAGUE​

PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE

NORTH AMERICAN SOCCER LEAGUE​

PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE

UNITED SOCCER LEAGUE​

PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE

CALIFORNIA STATE SOCCER ASSOCIATION-SOUTH (CALSOUTH)​

STATE ASSOCIATION

So pretty much any organization you may have heard of except ECNL and SOCAL are members of the US Soccer Federation. I'm guessing Girls Academy will get a National Affiliate designation. The difference between National Affiliate and National Association being the number of players represented:

"NATIONAL AFFILIATE" MEANS AN AMATEUR SPORTS ORGANIZATION THAT CONDUCTS SOCCER PROGRAMS IN WHICH PLAYERS COMPETE IN AT LEAST 26 STATES OF THE UNITED STATES.

"NATIONAL ASSOCIATION" MEANS AN AMATEUR SPORTS ORGANIZATION THAT CONDUCTS SOCCER PROGRAMS IN WHICH PLAYERS COMPETE IN EACH OF AT LEAST 26 STATES OF THE UNITED STATES, WITH AT LEAST 1,000 PLAYERS IN EACH OF 26 STATES OF THE UNITED STATES AND AT LEAST 200,000 PLAYERS IN THE UNITED STATES AND IS A MEMBER OF THE YOUTH OR ADULT COUNCIL ESTABLISHED UNDER BYLAW 312 OR 313.

It means that we're going to redo the whole DA vs ECNL thing again.

GA getting full membership in US Soccer allows NWSL and GA to create something similar to MLS Next but for girls. The only thing missing is a homegrown rule.

If NWSL Next happens ECNL will be in trouble.

Say what?

San Diego Wave are not going to suddenly stop talking to Surf just because GA now has a different sanctioning body. They certainly are not going to create a system of ID camps, but then ignore 85% of the best players.

I am generally sympathetic to ex-DA parents who were angry at USSF and DA for leaving them with no league. And ECNL’s decision to restrict admission was pretty crappy.

But it’s long past time to move on from those days.

Say what?

San Diego Wave are not going to suddenly stop talking to Surf just because GA now has a different sanctioning body. They certainly are not going to create a system of ID camps, but then ignore 85% of the best players.

I am generally sympathetic to ex-DA parents who were angry at USSF and DA for leaving them with no league. And ECNL’s decision to restrict admission was pretty crappy.

OK we'll see what happens.

Say what?

The missing piece is whether they actually create a girl's academy system. There's been chatter about this for a couple years now, but the economics just haven't been there. This seems to be another piece laying the groundwork. Eventually their hand will be forced and they will have to figure it out given that the rest of the world has caught up to the USWNT. The only question is how quickly does it happen.

The missing piece is whether they actually create a girl's academy system. There's been chatter about this for a couple years now, but the economics just haven't been there. This seems to be another piece laying the groundwork. Eventually their hand will be forced and they will have to figure it out given that the rest of the world has caught up to the USWNT. The only question is how quickly does it happen.
I think NWSL is getting pushed into creating "NWSL Next" with GA to lock down talent at an early age.

USL (NWSL's primary competitor) also received promotion from US Soccer this week.

The interesting thing about USL is that it doesn't have salary caps. Someone with lots of money could buy their way into being competitive with NWSL. Right now the only thing keeping this from happening is NWSL's new media deal. Locking down talent at a young age via NWSL Next keeps USL from growing.

So pretty much any organization you may have heard of except ECNL and SOCAL are members of the US Soccer Federation.

SoCal and ECNL operate under US Club Soccer (a National Affiliate), the same way GA and DPL sat/sit under USSSA (an Other Affiliate). From a player's perspective, the only difference is the name on the ID card and release form.

Other Affiliates don't get a spot on the USSF Youth Council. National Affiliates do.

Instead of paying USSSA paying GA for sanctioning and insurance, they go direct and may be able to turn it into a revenue stream if they can get DPL to go with them instead of USSSA. And they get a seat at the table with the Youth Council, whatever that's worth.

As for this giving GA some sort of preferential seat with NWSL affiliation, I think that's a reach for a multitude of reasons.

It means that we're going to redo the whole DA vs ECNL thing again.

GA getting full membership in US Soccer allows NWSL and GA to create something similar to MLS Next but for girls. The only thing missing is a homegrown rule.

If NWSL Next happens ECNL will be in trouble.
Let me save you some disappointment...this will not change anything

Let me save you some disappointment...this will not change anything
I tend to think about things in terms of potential outcomes or possibilities. Once I understand all the outcomes I assess the likehood of each one happening.

I agree with you that doing nothing and maintaining the status quo is the most likely outcome. This is because doing nothing is always easier than doing something.

However I also think that NWSL is getting forced to start functioning like all the other big leagues. We recently saw a big media deal and increased salary caps. By July we'll know if watching professional women's soccer is something people want to do with their time. If things go well there will be calls for increased levels of competition. To provide this NWSL will need to create Acadamies and a homegrown rule.

MLS has figured all this stuff out so a template has already been created.

A lot of might happen, might not. But, it's a reasonable possibility. Note that I didn't state a league NWSL could partner with for a female version of MLSN. Personally I think one is better positioned for this but it could be another league or a mix of several.

would an nwsl next academy whatever you call be attractive in this country where we have ncaa, and even with higher salaries are they going to give money to unproven high schoolers over proven college players?

I tend to think about things in terms of potential outcomes or possibilities. Once I understand all the outcomes I assess the likehood of each one happening.

I agree with you that doing nothing and maintaining the status quo is the most likely outcome. This is because doing nothing is always easier than doing something.

However I also think that NWSL is getting forced to start functioning like all the other big leagues. We recently saw a big media deal and increased salary caps. By July we'll know if watching professional women's soccer is something people want to do with their time. If things go well there will be calls for increased levels of competition. To provide this NWSL will need to create Acadamies and a homegrown rule.

MLS has figured all this stuff out so a template has already been created.

A lot of might happen, might not. But, it's a reasonable possibility. Note that I didn't state a league NWSL could partner with for a female version of MLSN. Personally I think one is better positioned for this but it could be another league or a mix of several.
I have been holding my breath waiting for Angel City FC to open up an academy. But that has yet to materialize even after years of rumors. Path of least resistance...Angel City just brings in the top top youth players and signs them. Much easier/cheaper than spinning up an entire academy structure.

I have been holding my breath waiting for Angel City FC to open up an academy. But that has yet to materialize even after years of rumors. Path of least resistance...Angel City just brings in the top top youth players and signs them. Much easier/cheaper than spinning up an entire academy structure.
I believe what will happen is that NWSL clubs either run their own pay to play club in GA or they'll partner with a local GA club.

This way they get all the benefits of an Academy but it costs nothing to run.

As long as there's a homegrown rule NWSL clubs get all the benefits and none of the costs.

Before NWSL Next, there will be a NWSL Reserve league. Sorry to say but all this approved member nonsense is another pull the wool over peoples eyes and present it like it's a players pathway to the National Team. The same way under DA you had coaches running around, who had never been anywhere near a top team, or elite league telling people this is 'THE' pathway. Its all posturing and BS. All leagues/clubs do it, this isn't a bash against any one league or another.

Find a coach that cares, make sure your kid is learning the game and to also love the game, has supportive team mates, is playing good minutes, and the rest will all fall into place. Around 15/16 if they show a desire to want to play in college etc find a club, league that can help support accelerate the process. But the worst thing I hear out there is the 'one size fits all approach' - 'You have to do this, or that' - Guess what, some kids take the direct route, some take the scenic. enjoy the ride!

I'd prefer to see that. Have the academies build out their scouting and coaching network. Run extra invite-only training sessions. Let the academies run the id2/pdp/odp type pools. Kill those political messes and align financial incentives with actually developing pro players. Pay the clubs finder fees. They could actually make the leagues less relevant and expand the player pool they're tracking. They'll be incentivized to keep things more local so their coaches and scouts have less travel away from the first team. The first team benefits with more coaches and trainers around. That's a common complaint with investment in the women's game vs. the mens game, less staff and facilities. Invest in those and put the extra bandwidth to use in that coaching/scouting network.

They can't do a proper academy yet:

La Masia houses about 60 players: 10 in the farmhouse, and the rest in rooms of the adjacent stadium; the rest of the youth players must provide for their own accommodation.[3] The academy is one of the most expensive in Europe, operating at a cost of £5 million a year. The main cost is the dormitory, La Masia itself. The minimum age for the youth program is six years; each year, more than 1,000 boys from the ages of six to eight try out for admission. The best 200 are selected.[11] The club also actively seeks for prospective students; it employs a system in which 15 scouts are deployed in Catalonia, 15 in the rest of Spain and 10 scattered throughout the world. To alleviate the expenses of this scouting, the club has an agreement with 15 local clubs for them to train players who are not ready for entry into the youth academy. In return, FC Barcelona gives money, coaching and technical advice to these clubs for their services.

Socal is about the same size as Catalonia. Even split up between ACFC and the Wave, there are still 15 strong local clubs local to both. Break down the artificial league barriers. Host games at their facilities.

Strive to emulate the best, not the mediocrity we currently have.

What are some of the reasons?

Any kind of inside info you can relay. ;-)
70-80% of the top talent on the girls side comes out of ECNL clubs. The current U17 WYNT roster is a good example of this.
4 of the 5 NWSL clubs that have affiliated youth programs participate in.... ECNL.

The last time USSF tried to undercut ECNL, they had some short term success then it blew up in their faces. I don't think they're going to step on that landmine again anytime soon.

A whole host of commercial/economic nexuses between ECNL and NWSL related entities are well within the sphere of publicly available information. They aren't hard to find.

Back