Galway Downs

Anyone know if they have benches and canopies set up?
That spot is one of the worst for lugging a bunch of crap to the field.

I think that's league dependent. For MLS Next the home team provides canopy and bench. If by "they" you mean, Galway Downs, I think that's a no.

This weekend we have state cup there. Several years ago- We had state cup games there and they provided bench and canopy.

They used to have a "Chat with us" button on their homepage. It seems to have disappeared. (I'd love to see some of the things that people sent them!!)
I'll try emailing but im sure they have more important things to deal with right now than whether or not I have to haul a canopy across the desert.

They used to have a "Chat with us" button on their homepage. It seems to have disappeared. (I'd love to see some of the things that people sent them!!)
I'll try emailing but im sure they have more important things to deal with right now than whether or not I have to haul a canopy across the desert.

Doubtful they will be providing you with anything, so don't count on that.

Big your dust goggles, nose plug, ice and water for those thirsty fields that are better for horses vs soccer.

Id bet the Chat feature was deleted shortly after the Discovery schedules came out.

I can't answer your question but I hate that place and will be there both days this weekend.
We will be there Sunday for an 11am game, "supposed" to be in low 80's. I'm going to be in the minority here, but I don't hate Galway Downs. The wind and dust suck, but the newer 11v11 fields along the main road are in very good condition, albeit a bit small compared to most 11v11 pitches. Coming from SD I'd much rather go to Galway than Great Park because of traffic. GP is a much nicer facility, but the turf fields are brutal in the heat. Our game two weeks ago was 96 air temp on turf. Turf temp had to be well over 100. (I know that's an anomaly). Haven't played O'side forever but I hear those fields are no longer in great shape.

We will be there Sunday for an 11am game, "supposed" to be in low 80's. I'm going to be in the minority here, but I don't hate Galway Downs. The wind and dust suck, but the newer 11v11 fields along the main road are in very good condition, albeit a bit small compared to most 11v11 pitches. Coming from SD I'd much rather go to Galway than Great Park because of traffic. GP is a much nicer facility, but the turf fields are brutal in the heat. Our game two weeks ago was 96 air temp on turf. Turf temp had to be well over 100. (I know that's an anomaly). Haven't played O'side forever but I hear those fields are no longer in great shape.
I like Galloway as well. Lots of wineries around, good food, overall not terrible fields. They could water a little more to keep the fields green out of season.

Great attitude bro and i see your point. I saw a snake by my car once and just went back to the fields. I sure didnt want to tell my wife or dd because it was on their side. I wasnt going to get up and close to see if it had a rattle either. It's way to far off the 15 and then everyone is drinking wine on the weekends. Now if you could stay at Vail Lake with RV, now your talking. 80's is really 90s so dont fool yourself. Plus you always have to keep one eye out for Gun Guy.........

When we were there in the spring, we played on fields inside the track and were able to park on the track itself so we were close to the fields. Hopefully if your game is on one of those fields you can at least drive there to drop off the gear even if you need to park farther away.

If I remember correctly, only Sioverlakes provides both benches and ez-ups. Everyplace else, it’s bring your own ez-ups

I remember one mud fest ago , I think it was the state cup of 2019??? Its was so muddy there and on my silverado my tires were bald, My fault for being lazy. It was so muddy that not only did I lose a shoe , I barely made it up the exit ramp, embarrassed to say the least.

I haven't read anything posted and will likely not answer your question. I would just like to join the cacophony of voices crying out against the wasteland that is Galway. haha.. If you google top ten places to break your arm because some genius slapped sod on top of a parking lot, Galway is #1!

How about this for a fun weekend of soccer.
1. Saturday game at Galway downs. Hour and 45 minutes there. 45 minute warmup. 100 minute game. Stop for lunch. Hour and 45 minutes home.
Left the house at 7:30 am- Got home around 2:30pm. 6 hours on the road. $10 for parking (cash only)
2. Sunday game at SoCal Complex (Oceanside). Gave extra time for traffic (but it was very light Sunday morning). 45 minute drive. There 30 minutes before warm ups. 45 minute warm up. 90 minute game. Hour drive home.
Left the house at 9:45. Got home at 3pm. 5 1/2 hours on the road.. ($12 for parking)

I know that having a social life is important for kids. My wife and I also like going to dinner, parties, etc. This soccer thing is getting in the way.

How about this for a fun weekend of soccer.
1. Saturday game at Galway downs. Hour and 45 minutes there. 45 minute warmup. 100 minute game. Stop for lunch. Hour and 45 minutes home.
Left the house at 7:30 am- Got home around 2:30pm. 6 hours on the road. $10 for parking (cash only)
2. Sunday game at SoCal Complex (Oceanside). Gave extra time for traffic (but it was very light Sunday morning). 45 minute drive. There 30 minutes before warm ups. 45 minute warm up. 90 minute game. Hour drive home.
Left the house at 9:45. Got home at 3pm. 5 1/2 hours on the road.. ($12 for parking)

I know that having a social life is important for kids. My wife and I also like going to dinner, parties, etc. This soccer thing is getting in the way.
To me that is a great weekend. Have less than two years of this left, then she is off to college. I want to enjoy every minute of this since it will be gone soon.

Back