Galway Downs To Provide Medical For League Games

The Galway Downs soccer page (http://www.galwaydowns.com/soccer/) states that Athletic Trainers/EMTs will be provided for all league games (using some of the parking dollars). I appreciate that this is probably expensive and hard to do with the one off games at some park, but it seems to me that with the new emphasis on concussions, concerns about heat acclimation, this is probably a really good idea and all clubs should be taking care of this. Are there any other facilities doing this?

They should do this for all Tournaments as well, went to a tournament over the weekend and one of our players got hurt (may have torn a ligament) but no Athletic Trainer available let alone a First Aid Kit. We pay all this money to tournaments/clubs and they don't provide the bare essentials as First Aid, that's ridiculous. Especially hearing about the young boy who passed this weekend, there should be some type of medical assistance at these tournaments for these occurrences.

@etc1217, absolutely. I can understand not having medical for the youngers (7v7 and possibly 9v9) who very rarely get seriously injured and with the new no header rule, will rarely get concussions.

They should do this for all Tournaments as well, went to a tournament over the weekend and one of our players got hurt (may have torn a ligament) but no Athletic Trainer available let alone a First Aid Kit. We pay all this money to tournaments/clubs and they don't provide the bare essentials as First Aid, that's ridiculous. Especially hearing about the young boy who passed this weekend, there should be some type of medical assistance at these tournaments for these occurrences.
What would an AT or First Aid kit have done for a torn ligament?

We've decided to bring a bucket of ice and zip lock bags this year. Instant ice packs stay cold for about 5 minutes. Better than nothing, but they don't last long enough.

At some point, as adults, we have to take a little bit of responsibility for our own actions...or lack thereof. I have never known a team or been associated with a team that didn't carry around their own first aid kit. Not sure if they still do this, but CSL use to provide every one of their teams with a team first aid kit free of charge, to have at all of their games so every game should have had at least two first aid kits in addition to any kits the parents already had.

US Soccer requires an Athletic Trainer for all Develop Academy games. Every coach/team manager should have a basic first aid kit to treat bumps, bruises, minor cuts, etc. that's a given. I understand the basic job of the Athletic Trainer is to conduct an initial assessment of an athlete's injury or illness in order to provide emergency or continued care, and to determine whether they should be referred to physicians for definitive diagnosis and treatment.

@GKDad65, Its my understanding with ligament damage the treatment is to immobilize and ice. I've seen EMTs and AT bring out cardboard splints and lots of ice to immobilize the injured leg and then wrap it. Often times the injury is borderline, and AT's are trained to assess the injury to ascertain whether the player can continue to play after a little ice/rest or needs to leave the game/facility and see a doctor ASAP.

In my mind, having trained medical professionals on the field and available to assess injuries and run through more advanced concussion protocols is just a really good idea. Especially for the older kids (u13 and up) who tend to have much more catastrophic collisions and injuries.

Surf has been providing similar type services for years at the polo fields. I agree with everyone who mentioned this should be standard operating procedure for all U13 and above matches.

My husband was on the scene where the tragedy occurred this past weekend, but he arrived after the EMTs/paramedics were already there. He's a physician and was shocked they didn't have a defibrillator on site, said it could have saved the boy's life. It's very common to have defibrillators in non-medical settings now, such as grocery stores, banks, etc. Given this, it makes sense to try to have them at all tournaments.

My husband was on the scene where the tragedy occurred this past weekend, but he arrived after the EMTs/paramedics were already there. He's a physician and was shocked they didn't have a defibrillator on site, said it could have saved the boy's life. It's very common to have defibrillators in non-medical settings now, such as grocery stores, banks, etc. Given this, it makes sense to try to have them at all tournaments.

The very last thing anyone should be doing is questioning what did or did not happen from fifty yards out. These kinds of posts are maddening to me.
I am quite sure that a death has triggered a full incident review.
I am also quite sure that your husband would not want to be publicly asked about his opinion on what could of or could not have saved a young child's life. This is in poor taste and you do not know what was or was not available at this venue or how close said equipment was to the field

The very last thing anyone should be doing is questioning what did or did not happen from fifty yards out. These kinds of posts are maddening to me.
I am also quite sure that your husband would not want to be publicly asked about his opinion on what could of or could not have saved a young child's life. This is in poor taste and you do not know what was or was not available at this venue or how close said equipment was to the field

What?? Of course we should be looking at what happened and what can be done in the future to help prevent these kinds of tragedies. I'm not talking about assigning liability for legal purposes (and you'll note I didn't even suggest anything of the sort), I'm suggesting improvements that can be made in an effort to prevent such tragedies in the future and help ensure no other family has to endure the pain of losing a child on the soccer field. As for my husband, he would gladly stand to publicly provide his opinion on what could have saved a young child's life - why would you think otherwise? Your post makes no sense whatsoever. We as a soccer community should be interested in continuing to improve all aspects of the sport, most particularly safety.

Right. I doubt the husband said this, as though he knew what caused the collapse, what treatment had been rendered, other pertinent medical factors for diagnosis, all after arriving after the fire department arrived (were they emts or paramedics?)

Nothing wrong with advocating for AEDs at sports competitions, but making an assertion that it could have saved the boy's life under the guise of a hearsay medical opinion is stupid, and fake facts.

Right. I doubt the husband said this, as though he knew what caused the collapse, what treatment had been rendered, other pertinent medical factors for diagnosis, all after arriving after the fire department arrived (were they emts or paramedics?)

Nothing wrong with advocating for AEDs at sports competitions, but making an assertion that it could have saved the boy's life under the guise of a hearsay medical opinion is stupid, and fake facts.

Amen brother. Amen. I am feeling especially charitable today so I will refrain from asking what type of physician he is. I have never met a credible ED or Surgeon/Trauma who would dare say something so stupid in a public forum after a tragedy.
Yet another soccer moms opinion from her Escalade with no global understanding of Pre hospital medicine or the scene.

Talk about throwing your husband into the fire and under the bus! Then doubling down by coming out and saying that he would express his opinion publically. Does he agree with your assertion of HIS opinion? Does his malpractice provider agree with this opinion? He arrived after the EMT's so he has no idea as to what transpired before the emt's. He likely was not part of the emergency response so his is pure conjecture. Is he specifically trained in trauma, currently practiced in triage, and emergency medicine? AED's are never a bad Idea. Properly used, maybe it's use could have changed this situation . Maybe in the future we will see these devices at all public events. I am sure your husband has a suspicions as to what happened. I would guess your husband would likely hold his opinion until all investigation is complete. I have to agree with striker17 on this. Let's just support the family , the community, and let the family grieve the loss of their son without casting doubt.

What?? Of course we should be looking at what happened and what can be done in the future to help prevent these kinds of tragedies. I'm not talking about assigning liability for legal purposes (and you'll note I didn't even suggest anything of the sort), I'm suggesting improvements that can be made in an effort to prevent such tragedies in the future and help ensure no other family has to endure the pain of losing a child on the soccer field. As for my husband, he would gladly stand to publicly provide his opinion on what could have saved a young child's life - why would you think otherwise? Your post makes no sense whatsoever. We as a soccer community should be interested in continuing to improve all aspects of the sport, most particularly safety.
Again, nothing wrong with advocating for more preventative or responsive measures. BUT NONE OF US, including you and your husband, KNOW WHAT CAUSED THIS CHILD'S DEATH.

Most educated adults, doctors or not, can reasonably conclude what could have happened as such a thing is so rare, but to assert as fact that 1.) "they didn't have a defibrillator on site" (there likely was once your husband arrived as rescue was there), and that 2.) one being at the site prior to rescue arriving "could have saved the boy's life," is not factual, but pure speculation.

I have never met a credible ED or Surgeon/Trauma who would dare say something so stupid in a public forum after a tragedy.
Yet another soccer moms opinion from her Escalade with no global understanding of Pre hospital medicine or the scene.
Yep, give the doc the benefit of the doubt. His wife posted this.

Again, nothing wrong with advocating for more preventative or responsive measures. BUT NONE OF US, including you and your husband, KNOW WHAT CAUSED THIS CHILD'S DEATH.

Most educated adults, doctors or not, can reasonably conclude what could have happened as such a thing is so rare, but to assert as fact that 1.) "they didn't have a defibrillator on site" (there likely was once your husband arrived as rescue was there), and that 2.) one being at the site prior to rescue arriving "could have saved the boy's life," is not factual, but pure speculation.

In fairness to her, she did say "could" rather than "would" and I haven't heard anyone argue here that defibs on site aren't a good idea. I further point out she posted it in the medical thread, not the condolences thread, which is appropriate. I further point no one has given any evidence one way or another whether they had a defib on site. If the statement is inaccurate, that's a bold accusation to be throwing around and the poster shouldn't be doing it without facts. If it is accurate, then the poster has a bit of a point. In any case, the question of whether these tournies do have a defib on site, and whether the cost of having one is justified, are in fact relevant questions, separate and apart from this tragedy.

Back