Futsal vs outdoor soccer contact

zebrafish

SILVER ELITE
My kid is playing futsal now. Trying to figure out if/what is the difference between outdoor soccer and futsal between what is considered acceptable contact.

US youth futsal says on their website:

"Futsal is a minimum contact sport. However, some contact may occur, as long as it is done in a legal manner. It cannot be done by play that is careless, reckless, or with excessive force."

Gotta love the circular logic (some contact is ok if it is legal).

http://www.futsal.com/index.php/futsal-rules-of-the-game-summary
LAW XII - Fouls and Misconduct

Direct free kick awarded when a player intentionally commits any of the following 11 offenses (penalty kick awarded when infringement
takes place in penalty area)

· kicking or attempting to kick an opponent
· tripping an opponent
· jumping at an opponent
· charging an opponent in a violent or dangerous manner
· charging an opponent from behind
· striking, attempting to strike, or spitting at an opponent
· holding an opponent
· pushing an opponent
· charging an opponent with shoulder (i.e., shoulder charge)
· sliding at an opponent (i.e., sliding tackle)
· handling the ball (except goalkeeper)

Indirect free kick awarded when any of the following 8 offenses is committed (kick taken from the 6-meter line when infringement takes
place in penalty area):

· dangerous play (e.g. attempting to kick ball held by goalkeeper)
· obstruction
· charging the goalkeeper in the penalty area (i.e., goalkeeper charge)
· goalkeeper throws ball directly over the halfway-line (without it first touching his own side of the pitch or any player)
· goalkeeper picks up or touches with his hands a back pass
· goalkeeper picks up or touches with his hands a kick-in from a teammate
· goalkeeper controls the ball with any part of his body for more than 4 seconds
· goalkeeper touches with any part of his body a back pass that has been played back to him before the ball has (1) crossed the
halfway-line or (2) been touched by an opponent

Players shall be cautioned (i.e., shown yellow card) when:

· a substituting player enters the pitch from an incorrect position or before the player he is substituting has entirely left the pitch
· he persistently infringes the Laws of the Game
· he shows dissent with any decision of the referee
· he is guilty of ungentlemanly conduct

These 4 yellow-card offenses are punishable by an indirect free kick taken from the point of infringement (or from the 6-meter line
when the infringement takes place in penalty area).

Players shall be sent off (i.e., shown the red card) for:

· (a) serious foul play
· (b) violent conduct
· (c) foul or abusive language
· (d) second instance of cautionable offense (i.e., second yellow card)
· (e) intentionally impeding a clear goal opportunity (e.g. through a "professional foul")
· (f) intentionally impeding a clear goal opportunity in the penalty area by handling the ball

Direct free kicks (or penalty kicks) accompany the expulsion for (a), (b), (e) and (f); indirect free kicks, for (c) and (d) (from the 6-meter line
when the infringement takes place in the penalty area).

Differences Between Futsal & Soccer:
http://www.futsal.com/index.php/differences-between-futsal-a-soccer-

IMO Soccer is a lot more physical than Futsal, lots more space players, attacking, kicking balls long, with physical challenges in the air and whatnot.

Futsal, with fewer players and space means players don't have to challenge as hard, instead of a shoulder charge you can try to intercept, steal the the ball or slow the other team down with less force. Fouls become much more tactical.

My kid is playing futsal now. Trying to figure out if/what is the difference between outdoor soccer and futsal between what is considered acceptable contact.

US youth futsal says on their website:

"Futsal is a minimum contact sport. However, some contact may occur, as long as it is done in a legal manner. It cannot be done by play that is careless, reckless, or with excessive force."

Gotta love the circular logic (some contact is ok if it is legal).
What is it that is causing you confusion?

Is futsal supposed to allow the same level of contact as the outdoor game? Less? If less, how do you conceptualize this?
Charging is a foul in Futsal. In outdoor it may or may not be. That's the extent of difference in as far as contact is concerned. No need for abstracts.

Back