Fundraisers- I hate them

This is the attitude of someone who has money and values their time more than the fundraising cost. It's certainly fine to have money and value your time more than the fundraising costs, but there is something very wrong with failing to consider that many others don't have the money to pay another $120 to club dues, plus another $120 for girl scout cookies, plus $120 for PTA candles, plus all the other nickel and dime fundraising stuff for kids that, when added up, isn't a blip on the radar for you but which can be significant for many. Why is it so important for you to deprive others of options that allow them to keep their own costs down and continue participating in something they might not otherwise be able to afford? There is nothing stopping you from just writing the $120 check you'd prefer to write. You can even let the club keep the golf balls if having them makes you so angry.

My son joined a club this year that operates in an area that is economically depressed with a high immigrant population. Our club dues are ridiculously low from what they once were. The DOC called in the parents to talk about fundraising. Of the 16 kids, 4 or 5 of the parents showed up, all women. My wife (non-Spanish speaker) listened to the fundraising pitch presented in Spanish then translated to English. The other mom's got real excited about coming up with fundraising ideas and were planning the tamale making element when my wife asked "Exactly how much are you trying to raise?" The answer was "$40k this year." That is a whole lot of f'ing tamales.

You make a good point. For some, investing $40 in masa and pork to make $100 in tamale's is all they can do. For others, take my "$150 donation" and be gone. That $150 is a day and a half wage for some, for others its an hour of work.

My biggest disappointment in this, is I think the number scarred the hell out of the moms so there goes my opportunity to buy some kick-ass tamales.

Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, all of the stores start to ask for donations for various charities - feed the children; feed the animals; sports donations to fund youth fields, etc (actually - I think this is really more year round now. But I notice it more over the holidays). I pick 1 week between Thanksgiving and Christmas and I say "yes" that entire week. If I see a guy on the street with a sign, I hand him a few dollars.
That's about the extent of my giving throughout the year. But if a kid on my kid's team needed money to cover dues, uniforms, travel - I'd help cover it without blinking an eye.

Wow, you sound like a real philanthropist, but that still doesn't explain your animosity toward the club holding a fundraiser to help defray the club dues for the needy. Or why you're so opposed to letting others to sell golf balls instead of having to write a check.

The reality is I called you out for being selfish and thoughtless, and now you're just trying to convince yourself that you're not as big a jerk as you actually are.

Just add $120 to my club dues and allocate that for a kids scholarship. Don't mandate that each kid sells 12 golf balls.
Do any clubs provide detailed financial statements that show where this fundraiser money goes? I can look at a 990 form, but that doesn't tell very much. It compares this year's reserves to last year's reserves. It shows the total paid to coaches. It shows how much was collected from dues and other activities.

(I for one don't think that running a club is a very good way to make a ton of money)

last club I was at did that. Added $200 for golf bale. Then they also added another event they used to fund the gold event - which is a giant party for certain folks. How many folks can take a day off in the week to drink half a day?

So the golf fundraising went from mandatory $200 down to $100 + event that had mandatory food/drinks/other items donations by teams. Then coaches and managers got hounded that “fundraising” was down and coaches got threatened Their pay would be withheld if numbers were not met. To top that off they made team donate baskets with min values for NEW golf tournament auction. They hammered the lack of fundraising- even though the fundraising was already completed due to hike in dues. So all was just gravy, managed another $100k in cash/items and told everyone fundraising was down from previous year. Maybe some clubs use the fundraising for scholarships or to cover kids who ended up not paying dues, but some just use it to make more profit and give certain admins (real owners) more money

At least with Girl Scouts I get some cookies out of the deal. With a golf ball thing- I’m just giving them $100. And I’m pretty sure if you “win” the prize, it’s customary to not collect it and give it back to the club.
F@&# THAT!

Maybe some clubs use the fundraising for scholarships or to cover kids who ended up not paying dues, but some just use it to make more profit and give certain admins (real owners) more money

i fundraise for kids outside the club system. A few people I know do it even at pro/semi pro level. Very few of the bigger clubs that offer the highest level of play will work with giving kids full scholarships. They can’t afford to, but some really not in business to help kids

We’ve done team fundraisers in the past that have included;
1. Super bowl pool, World Cup bracket and March madness brackets with 50% of the pot going towards the team.
2. Clothing/shoe drive to an organization that pays by the pound.
3. OC register newspaper sales where the Register gives a great payback for a minimal subscription.
4. Sales of mugs with college and pro sports logos with a nice return to the team. And those that buy the cups get something they can actually use.
5. As a coach, I’ve also given several hundred dollars per year for players that exceed expectations in training on their own during summer. ( I’ve also taken less pay to fund players who needed some help covering their club dues.)
7. For a few travel tournaments, my wife and I personally paid for multiple hotel rooms for kids who’s parents couldn’t afford to attend.

Our team has also volunteered time and money for the following:
1. AYSO VIP league for special needs players.
2. AYSO VIP tournament.
3. Christmas shopping for military families with over $2,000 spent over 2 years. And several hours spent shopping, wrapping and delivering gifts. (In lieu of a team Christmas gift exchange/party).

So when I say “I hate fundraisers”,
I’m talking about mandatory, club wide requirements that nobody knows how the money is actually used.

So when I say “I hate fundraisers”,
I’m talking about mandatory, club wide requirements that nobody knows how the money is actually used.
THIS! Exactly!
Seriously though, I think more clubs should do the booze fundraiser. It was a GREAT way to have my daughter understand that she had some skin in the game, given that she worked hard for her opportunity to play for a team and she valued those dollars. Every dollar she raised went directly to her team dues.

THIS! Exactly!
Seriously though, I think more clubs should do the booze fundraiser. It was a GREAT way to have my daughter understand that she had some skin in the game, given that she worked hard for her opportunity to play for a team and she valued those dollars. Every dollar she raised went directly to her team dues.

I like a good drink & gambling just like the next person..

Do booze & gambling like fund raisers have some potential legal & liability ramifications possiblly? not to mention moral ones but maybe the legal hawks can chime in on this one?

Back