For Keeper Parents/Coaches/Players

PLSAP

SILVER ELITE
Another little thread to share experiences, ask questions, give advice, help out. I'll start with a question, and it's kind of something a lot don't think about and off topic, but how does your keeper throw the ball? After a long injury, it's like the muscle memory isn't there anymore. Used to have a pretty good throw, distance, accuracy, and some loft, but can't even throw it straight anymore. There are some who always put a little spin on it just because of the way they throw it, some bounce it off the ground, any stories and insight will be helpful!

Preferably not to the other team. Watched a HS age team play on Saturday, the female goalie went over the top (as opposed to side arm), the ball came down where she wanted with very littler bounce. I was very impressed. I would imagine it takes a LOT of work to come over the top and not have the ball bounce all over the place. If sidearm is needed to get the ball where it needs to go without bouncing I would recommend side arm.

Preferably not to the other team. Watched a HS age team play on Saturday, the female goalie went over the top (as opposed to side arm), the ball came down where she wanted with very littler bounce. I was very impressed. I would imagine it takes a LOT of work to come over the top and not have the ball bounce all over the place. If sidearm is needed to get the ball where it needs to go without bouncing I would recommend side arm.
Said funny to "Not to the other team". I've personally never liked it when keepers use the side arm for anything other than warm up. You can't really get distance and it looks awful.

Another little thread to share experiences, ask questions, give advice, help out. I'll start with a question, and it's kind of something a lot don't think about and off topic, but how does your keeper throw the ball? After a long injury, it's like the muscle memory isn't there anymore. Used to have a pretty good throw, distance, accuracy, and some loft, but can't even throw it straight anymore. There are some who always put a little spin on it just because of the way they throw it, some bounce it off the ground, any stories and insight will be helpful!
How long was your kid out and what age?

How long was your kid out and what age?
Well, working on it a little more today and I think it was just some stiff wrist that needed some usage and loosing up in that movement, because it was significantly better today. Did catches while out, but that doesn't require as much flexibility.

Oh yeah! So I posted this for help and I remember wanting to share:
If your kid is a keeper, and especially one that plays on the field or with his friends outside of organized soccer, please please please make sure that when he/she is in goal that they aren't worried about being megged. It's a common occurrence, especially with all the kids trying to meg each other during a lunch game or pick up game.
1) It is highly unlikely in a regular shot
2) Has even happened to some of the best (recently Neuer vs Real Madrid look up highlight to show your kid)
3) Only likely to happen in a 1v1, and if it does, he was put in that position by his teammates and not really his fault

BECAUSE: I have seen kid after kid mess up their knees and ACL's and Meniscus's from bending their knees in and ditching their form because they are scared of the ball going through their legs. Super important that they don't!

Said funny to "Not to the other team". I've personally never liked it when keepers use the side arm for anything other than warm up. You can't really get distance and it looks awful.

??? When done right you can get lots of distance. It tends to be more accurate and far less bounce than overhand throws. Look online for some amazing distribution of the ball side arm.

Back