Flight 1 Criteria?

Yep. That can be a BIG deal. That's one of the key things that has kept my Extra team together. When we travel for a tournament it's like a 15 family party. I don't think I have 15 non-soccer friends that I could stand being with for an entire weekend.
Changing a kid's team because the parents can't play nice is the ultimate act of parental selfishness. If a kid's happy on a team, parents should just sit down and shut up.

Changing a kid's team because the parents can't play nice is the ultimate act of parental selfishness. If a kid's happy on a team, parents should just sit down and shut up.
Strongly disagree: Family interests outweigh the individual interest of one's child. (Although one could argue that sitting on a sideline with 30 people you strongly dislike to maybe earn a scholarship is in the best interest of the family.)

Strongly disagree: Family interests outweigh the individual interest of one's child. (Although one could argue that sitting on a sideline with 30 people you strongly dislike to maybe earn a scholarship is in the best interest of the family.)

Yep! I also have yet to find a team "where the kid is really happy but the parents are not".
Nope.
These kids listen to adults. That's why they start parroting at an early age "Maggie doesn't pass...Charlotte screws up" it's sad.
The ultimate act of selfishness is leaving a kid in a toxic environment for your own ego. That is more the common standard

I honestly don't know what to say to that. If a kid's enjoyment of a team is at all impacted by parental influence, those parents suck. Whether I get on with other parents on the team should have NO impact on whether or not my kid gets on with her teammates.

Agree with you 100 percent.

What do you mean by family interest? Are you telling me that you can't come to a game, sit down, watch soccer for an hour and then go home without fighting with other parents? Honestly, there are parents on our team that I've spoken to maybe 1 or 2 times all year - I sit with a few families that I like, smile and say hello to most others, and pretty much don't engage the rest.

What do you mean by family interest? Are you telling me that you can't come to a game, sit down, watch soccer for an hour and then go home without fighting with other parents? Honestly, there are parents on our team that I've spoken to maybe 1 or 2 times all year - I sit with a few families that I like, smile and say hello to most others, and pretty much don't engage the rest.

Not speaking for him but I can see how being around some volatile parents may take a toll. Perhaps you haven't been exposed to that yet but I do agree with you that we should be rising above and modeling appropriate behaviors and that is a lesson in itself.
Maybe the best way to say it is when you are with a group of great parents like minded it makes for a wonderful season on and off the pitch.

Maybe we need to retitle the thread to "Team Tryouts for Parents" or something like it....

Two observations on this:

1) It is kids' game and their team - parents, just shut the @#$%^& up and enjoy spending time with your kid(s) as they grow up and are gone before you know it. You'll look back and say those were the best years... I can't believe my older son will be gone this time next year at college and we'll have to settle for watching the webcast of his games. Better than nothing but its not the same. The images of U-little seem like no long ago...

2) There are parents and there are parents. Some are so verbally abusive and loud that other parents on the same team are embarrassed and don't want to have anything to do with some parents. I get that. On my younger son's game this past weekend, there was one of those parents on the other team. I heard on of the parents from that team say something like stuff a sock in his throat... So how long do you want to put up with that. I do recall one of the teams at our old club cutting a kid because the parents were so obnoxious and offensive, they told those folks to go find another place and made it clear the reason why the kid was cut.

So, Flt 1 criteria needs to include parent interview during the player tryouts. Delusional next Messi parents need not apply....

Yep! I also have yet to find a team "where the kid is really happy but the parents are not".
Nope.
These kids listen to adults. That's why they start parroting at an early age "Maggie doesn't pass...Charlotte screws up" it's sad.
The ultimate act of selfishness is leaving a kid in a toxic environment for your own ego. That is more the common standard
This is exactly what is happening at our team. Certain kids won't pass the ball to 'x' bc she sucks and my Dad told me not to! Everyone come to my house except so and so bc my parents don't like 'x' s parents. My child is not a target of it but it is nevertheless a very unhealthy environment.

Maybe we need to retitle the thread to "Team Tryouts for Parents" or something like it....

Two observations on this:

1) It is kids' game and their team - parents, just shut the @#$%^& up and enjoy spending time with your kid(s) as they grow up and are gone before you know it. You'll look back and say those were the best years... I can't believe my older son will be gone this time next year at college and we'll have to settle for watching the webcast of his games. Better than nothing but its not the same. The images of U-little seem like no long ago...

2) There are parents and there are parents. Some are so verbally abusive and loud that other parents on the same team are embarrassed and don't want to have anything to do with some parents. I get that. On my younger son's game this past weekend, there was one of those parents on the other team. I heard on of the parents from that team say something like stuff a sock in his throat... So how long do you want to put up with that. I do recall one of the teams at our old club cutting a kid because the parents were so obnoxious and offensive, they told those folks to go find another place and made it clear the reason why the kid was cut.

So, Flt 1 criteria needs to include parent interview during the player tryouts. Delusional next Messi parents need not apply....

That won't work because the crazies usually have the coaches ear

Welcome to club soccer. I'll give you my jaded take on it:

First of all "Flight 1" just refers to a division in a particular league (SCDSL). Flight 1 team rosters (just like Flight 2, 3, CSL Premier, Gold, etc.) change every year as unhappy players/parents/coaches hop from club to club, or as inept Directors of Coaching shuffle coaches around or lose good coaches. Natural turnover happens every year, so every year, the top teams will have changing rosters. The quality or level of a team doesn't seem to have much effect on the roster staying put (unless everyone is happy and the coach is happy, which is pretty rare IMO). I think what is at the heart of your question is the A team vs B team rosters at a given club.

It's a pretty rare club that moves players from B team to A team. I was told flat out by a DoC at one club that if a kid is on the B team (at u12) then that's where the kid belongs. He only wanted the elite athletes with elite size and speed on the top team. After seeing dozens of "try-outs" where the coaches pay zero attention to what is happening on the field except when the kids run sprints, I attest that most of the time, the coach knows who is going to be on his A team within 20 seconds of watching a kid run. Their minds are usually made up based on size at the younger ages, moving to more of a focus on speed at the older ages. The hook that your kid will be rostered on the B team but will always be evaluated with a possibility of moving up to the "Flight 1" or "EGSL" or "ECNL" or WHATEVER, is most often just that. A hook. Clubs make all their bank off of B and C team parents with college scholly dreams, while loading their A team rosters with the local genetic lottery winners, and teasing the B team parents that they will be evaluated every year. Most of that is pure BS. However, there are some clubs that actually do it. Now things get really interesting in the older ages as many of the beasts at younger ages top out and the late bloomers catch up. But none of this has to do with "evaluations" and "try outs." Anyway, my advice to you is not to give two s#$%s about tryouts, flight 1, 2, ECNL, or whatever right now. Make sure your kid is having fun every time she practices and plays a game, has a coach she likes and who treats the players well, enjoy the time in the car on the way to games, and get plenty of ice cream after both wins and losses. If she trains hard, improves her skills, and has above average athletic ability, your daughter will eventually find the right level of competition for her. Generally speaking with regards to level of play, if your kid is the best one on her team by a long shot, she should find a team where she isn't and work to become the best again. Rinse and repeat. Good luck! ;)
Spot on! Couldn't have said it any better!

Back