Expected drop in teams / players next year?

Sparky9

SILVER ELITE
Curious what the expected drop in the number of players/teams is expected next year for this age group? Most players had their first year of high school and now have some new options for different activities like asb, yearbook etc and other sports like volleyball, lacrosse, water polo etc.
My dd was one of the few 8th graders on her team so she took the time off to try volley ball and is having a lot of fun. She's played soccer since she was 4 and year round club soccer since age 7. She said if her team stays together with her coach next year she will do club again but wouldn't try out anywhere else. Would just play HS volleyball in the fall then HS soccer after that if her team breaks up.
Curious what other kids think about next year...?

My 03 team has players in HS who play multiple sports and club soccer. The girls on my team prefer club soccer over HS sports because it is more intense and competitive.

My daughter has never played volleyball, so I don't have any first-hand knowledge about it. That being said, at my daughter's school, volleyball is like soccer. Only the year-round competitive club players play on Varsity. The freshman girls I am aware of that used to play both (before HS) had to make a choice about what to focus on when they got to HS.

And from what I hear, the tournaments are even more time-consuming that soccer ones, but you probably now know what she'll be getting into for that. I can't imagine a player doing both soccer and volleyball competitively once they get to high school, from what it seems to me.

If Sparky retires from Club Soccer and stays with VB, have her join a VB club after her HS season. I have a DD in VB & the other 2 in soccer.

We are going to the tournament in Vegas this weekend and the 03's have 10 divisions and the 02's have 3. It may have something to do with that particular tournament and maybe there is better event for that age group this weekend, but that's what I am asking about. I wonder if Cal south has any data on that?

We are going to the tournament in Vegas this weekend and the 03's have 10 divisions and the 02's have 3. It may have something to do with that particular tournament and maybe there is better event for that age group this weekend, but that's what I am asking about. I wonder if Cal south has any data on that?

Since I have been keeping track (mid-90's) the largest number of teams is at the U13/14 level, with a dramatic falloff after that. A lot of kids that are playing four or more sports drop some off or specialize in just one when they hit high school age.

The volleyball clubs are nuts. Do one free clinic and they are asking you for a deposit for a club team with a beginning price tag of 4k since your kid has a lot of “potential”. I remember coaching AA ice hockey (2nd tier) about 13 years ago and a parent on our team said the paid 17k that year in fees, travel, camps, private lessons etc. club soccer seems like peanuts compared to that.

Curious what the expected drop in the number of players/teams is expected next year for this age group? Most players had their first year of high school and now have some new options for different activities like asb, yearbook etc and other sports like volleyball, lacrosse, water polo etc.
My dd was one of the few 8th graders on her team so she took the time off to try volley ball and is having a lot of fun. She's played soccer since she was 4 and year round club soccer since age 7. She said if her team stays together with her coach next year she will do club again but wouldn't try out anywhere else. Would just play HS volleyball in the fall then HS soccer after that if her team breaks up.
Curious what other kids think about next year...?

Yes, there is a big drop for the reasons you mentioned. Different sports, different interests and other things. Biggest thing is that girls realize that many of them not going to play soccer past HS and loose interest to continue playing competitively. The only reason for those to continue playing club soccer is if they still enjoying playing, like teammates and like their coach.

33 I agree with you about keeping it fun even if you have no plans to play beyond high school. Interesting 9 teams already posted about looking for players so far so I guess players are dropping out of club.

33 I agree with you about keeping it fun even if you have no plans to play beyond high school. Interesting 9 teams already posted about looking for players so far so I guess players are dropping out of club.
Or they had too many teams within a club to start with

Back