European Training

I have heard of trips offering kids to be part of a select team to go train and play against European Academies. What has been your experience with these, and do you feel they were worth the money? I know it will be a great experience from a vacation standpoint, but for the money I’m hoping it will be worth it for the knowledge and growth as a player. Is it better to do these younger 10-12 yrs old or later? This type of trip, or look for a team to go to the MIC Cup? Any insight will be helpful.

My daughter traveled to tournaments in Sweden and Austria in her youth days. The Lennart Johansson Trophy in Stockholm at U12. Run by a former UEFA President, who was in attendance, our girls played against girls teams from Atletico Madrid, and other clubs in Germany and England. Christen Press, who was playing for a Swedish club at the time, even came to watch.

She also went to the Cordial Cup in Austria at U14. They ended up winning in the finals in front of 5500 spectators. These two events are at the top of her list for most fun soccer events in her life. (Although I’m not sure what she would say now that she’s played in the NCAA Sweet 16.) She still keeps in contact with some of the players from Vfl Wolfsburg in Germany. They didn’t train with any of the other teams, and I’m not sure if she picked up any technical skills during these 2 week trips, but she did grow as a person in a very positive way. And she grew to love the sport even more passionately...PM me if you want some more details. It is a highly recommended experience.

I'm hearing learning experience is very low, but fun experience is high. But also make sure kids and coaches are a good environment. Awfully high price to have a bad time or see your kid sit on the bench for most of the games. See if they can put a minimum play time in writing if possible.

For that kind of money, skip the academy, and take the family to Europe on your own and fly first or business class. I don't remember much about any of the tournaments my kid won at U-little, but I still remember the first time I flew first class on an international flight :).

All jokes aside, if you're going to Europe, one of the best experience your kids can have is find a pro team they love or know/recognize, dress in their team colors, go watch a match in the supporters' section (usually behind the goals), and chant with the locals for 90 minutes. Your kids will be a fan for life afterward.

money grabs. very few people would take a team without getting something out of it. i know one coach who takes kids to Germany for an experience - sometimes just to give parents a reality check about level of play and show them what kids on a professional track look like. for the most part mainly to give kids an experience outside what is found in the US. not going to change the level of your child's play or get them noticed by a big club in europe

Training can be really good if you player can get in with one of the better academies say in Spain, France, etc

International packaged soccer tours / Tournaments are some else typically; $$$ expensive but can be fun, culturally beatification to youth as they get to explore new places, food, etc with friends. The level of soccer and some of the tourneys can be excellent if the better club participate so choose wisely.

We have some domestic tournaments (Dallas Cup) on a much smaller scale like some of the popular ones overseas like Gothia Cup. but with fans/supports over there being much more passionate.

I have heard of trips offering kids to be part of a select team to go train and play against European Academies. What has been your experience with these, and do you feel they were worth the money? I know it will be a great experience from a vacation standpoint, but for the money I’m hoping it will be worth it for the knowledge and growth as a player. Is it better to do these younger 10-12 yrs old or later? This type of trip, or look for a team to go to the MIC Cup? Any insight will be helpful.
Don't know anything about the girls side but for boys, MIC is an excellent tournament for 10~12 yrs old kids. They will play and see all the top professional clubs' academies and experience what is like to play against them - very cool!

The fun stops there though. Don't expect to be scouted, much less offered a trial with one of these academies. Not saying it never happens, but not expected unless your 12 yr old is world class physical and technical specimen.

For the parents, its wonderful to be in Spain and enjoy the food and the scenery - what's not to like!

If you are serious about European academy training, work with local club that has ties to some of them and have them recommend your child for eval. Since their reputation is at stake, they won't just do it for anyone. The kid has to be actually promising. Also, there are boarding programs where you pay roughly $15k ~$20K/season to live and train in Spain, Italy, Germany with clubs but 12 is probably bit on the younger side. All of these are operated for profit so keep that in mind.

As for tournaments, just look at it like a family vacation with soccer mixed in.

Mirage , tell us more about MIC2019, Vacation and Soccer mixed in is for sure , we are making it a family vacation but what are the do's and dont's in the city....if you don't mind. We have some tours in mind too. As a first timer Id like to take advantage of the city.

My kid received offers from 1st division teams. So, in my case it was worth every penny spent.

Don’t forget about the siestas! Also, do not limit yourself to one city. The high speed rail is nice and efficient and commuter flights are also cheap.
While in Spain I wanted to teach my daughter about the Moors. So, we went to the royal palace in Madrid, then we went to Sevilla, and ended with a trip to the Alhambra in Granada.
My only warning is that they take the siestas serious so, plan accordingly!

Back