Etiquette

size_five

BRONZE
This can be a general thread on etiquette discussions; however, I'll start off with two.

Parents and fans of a team should sit on "their half" of the field, meaning along the sideline on the half across from where their boys are seated. Sitting on your opponents half is just plain impolite.

Second, at fields with stadium seating, if you bring an umbrella or canopy, please set it up near the top of the stands as to not block the views of other spectators.

This can be a general thread on etiquette discussions; however, I'll start off with two.

Parents and fans of a team should sit on "their half" of the field, meaning along the sideline on the half across from where their boys are seated. Sitting on your opponents half is just plain impolite.

I completely agree and I had to ask some parents to move after the team manager had requested the parent move and they refused this weekend.

Second, at fields with stadium seating, if you bring an umbrella or canopy, please set it up near the top of the stands as to not block the views of other spectators.
#1. Mountain out of a mole hill. Who cares.
#2. Absolutely.

#1. Mountain out of a mole hill. Who cares.
#2. Absolutely.
Plenty of people care. I hear comments about it all the time, so I'm saying something about it.
If you don't care, well, that's your business, but that doesn't mean it doesn't matter to others.
Also, if you don't care, then it shouldn't be too big an imposition for you to be polite and sit on your side. Thx

You hearing about it doesn't change the fact that its just petty.

I disagree. Our club's parents are mostly calm and there to watch their kids. My wife and I sit on our team's side to just watch our kid and usually sit toward the end line. When a parent comes from the other team because their DD or DS is playing on that part of the field, it's fine, but when they are screaming their head off, overly instructing, etc. it's not cool and is certainly obnoxious.

I love soccer, love watching my kids play, want the best for them and have coached for a long time, but anyone who thinks their kid needs them screaming like that is just fooling themselves.

#1 Parents too vested & emotional in the results or outcome of a call, play, or the game to act rationaly at times. Nick picking too much.

Let's not forget this is still a kids game and they don't much care about anything but playing and would rather not hear all the sideline commotion or petty stuff.

We have friends sometimes we visit with so I don't always sit on the opposite side all game, we joke laugh and occasionally debate stuff but we try to keep things calm and civil.

At the beginning of the season(s) on when there are problems normally parent and/or player reminders will be sent out by the da or your club.

You hearing about it doesn't change the fact that its just petty.
Not when said spectators are yelling, cheering and being boisterous. It tends to be provocative and leads to bad things. If they are being subdued and social....no big deal. But I would thing the OP’s comments are geared towards those making more of a verbal presence than a physical one.

Not when said spectators are yelling, cheering and being boisterous. It tends to be provocative and leads to bad things. If they are being subdued and social....no big deal. But I would thing the OP’s comments are geared towards those making more of a verbal presence than a physical one.

Then he should have said that.

Then he should have said that.
If you have not figured it out yet, this is why a lot of people on this forum do not like you. This adds nothing constructive to the discussion. Stick to constructive posts that add value.

If you have not figured it out yet, this is why a lot of people on this forum do not like you. This adds nothing constructive to the discussion. Stick to constructive posts that add value.

If you don't agree with me, I am open to a polite discussion. Character assassination is not a good way to start.

By my estimation, the reason a lot of people do not like me is because they don't like hearing the truth.

While I think most people agree that it's not good form for parents/fans to sit on the opponent's half and yelling, cheering and being boisterous ... I think there is also the issue with physical presence.

First, most people would like to sit near midfield to get the best view of both halves of the field. Also, often, you'd like to sit near your team's other parents, as you've developed a relationship with these people. I've been to several games where the opposing team spread out on both sides of midfield, relegating our parents to either stand behind them , wedge in onsey-twosey between their groups, or sit down together down near the top of the box. This is not cool.

Second, as for the "yelling cheering and being boisterous": while most of us agree this is obnoxious, this leaves things open for interpretation. While I might find my comments, cheering, etc to not be obnoxious, the other team might not.

Really, the simple answer is just sit on your side of the field. It reduces issues, removes matters of varied interpretation, and provides the best chance of a good experience. It's simple, it's polite, and it's the right thing to do.

If you don't agree with me, I am open to a polite discussion. Character assassination is not a good way to start.

By my estimation, the reason a lot of people do not like me is because they don't like hearing the truth.
Your estimator is way off, it's because you are an asshole.

I would add one for the camera people. If you are taking pictures or video of the game, shut up! For good lighting, camera people need to move around the field. Don't make it hard on those of us who do keep quiet by mouthing off on the sideline! Be friendly and nice to everyone around you.

I would add one for the camera people. If you are taking pictures or video of the game, shut up! For good lighting, camera people need to move around the field. Don't make it hard on those of us who do keep quiet by mouthing off on the sideline! Be friendly and nice to everyone around you.
People just need to shut up period. We have all pretty much heard it all, talk to your kid, be positive and enjoy the game, your kid will enjoy their self more also.
BTW, my daughter shushes me from the field on a regular basis, mostly in fun, I hope.

I would add one here..

When you're kid's game is over, get out of the way. This is such a pain.

They sit and talk, not moving, well into the start of the next game while people that are trying to get a spot to watch their kid are trying to squeeze in and find some space.

It's the worse during some tournaments when a team has set up their camp, right there on the sideline. EZ ups, tables, chairs, taking up all of the space that is there between two fields. Find a place away from the field. You are not the only one playing there.

Please don’t spit/drop sunflower seed or pistachio shells where you are sitting.

What on Earth makes you think someone else should have to come sit on top of your disgusting mess?

I’m talking directly to you (whoever does this)

Back