Essential Economics for Politicians

The leading explanation for why trucking is in a slump goes back to that central tenet of economics: supply and demand.

Larger economic trends — like increased factory, retail, or construction activity — push up the demand for truck drivers. There's just more stuff to drive around, and you need people and trucks to move them. The supply comes from how many trucks and truck drivers are available.

When demand is high, trucking companies tend to buy lots of trucks and hire new drivers in anticipation of profits to come. But then, once the supply of trucks and truckers catches up to demand, rates fall, making that investment hard to pay off.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why...ing-off-from-a-massive-uptick-in-the-market-1

I'm not. Far from. But learned a lot over the last two years. You should come out to Highland Valley one weekend. I'll give you a tour and a tasting. Although my cart runs on fossil fuel. Hope that's not a problem?
I think it should be ok, but maybe we should run it by my handler first.
upload_2019-10-6_8-48-11.png

The 2019 federal deficit is almost $1 trillion. No one seems to care.

Earlier this week, the Congressional Budget Office announced that the federal deficit for this past fiscal year was $984 billion, the highest that it's been in seven years.

In years past, that announcement would have been met with outrage by Republicans -- and even some Democrats. We are mortgaging our children's future! We are on an unsustainable path! We need to start tightening our belts!

Today? Barely a peep.

That change is indicative of how radically President Donald Trump has reshaped the Republican Party in his own image since he seized it in a hostile takeover in 2016. Trump has never evinced any real interest in shrinking the deficit -- and the underlying national debt it feeds -- beyond some platitudes offered to fiscal conservatives during the campaign.

"We're not a rich country. We're a debtor nation ... We've got to get rid of the $19 trillion in debt," Trump told The Washington Post. "I think I could do it fairly quickly. ... I would say over a period of eight years."
But Trump has put a series of policies in place -- most notably the tax cut law -- that have ballooned the debt to more than $22 trillion in just the last three years alone. And he has done so with no real focus on (or care for) what the ballooning debt means for our overall financial health. And without once fiscally hawkish Republicans in Congress saying much of anything.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/09/politics/budget-deficit-trump/index.html

Earlier this week, the Congressional Budget Office announced that the federal deficit for this past fiscal year was $984 billion, the highest that it's been in seven years.

In years past, that announcement would have been met with outrage by Republicans -- and even some Democrats. We are mortgaging our children's future! We are on an unsustainable path! We need to start tightening our belts!

Today? Barely a peep.

That change is indicative of how radically President Donald Trump has reshaped the Republican Party in his own image since he seized it in a hostile takeover in 2016. Trump has never evinced any real interest in shrinking the deficit -- and the underlying national debt it feeds -- beyond some platitudes offered to fiscal conservatives during the campaign.

"We're not a rich country. We're a debtor nation ... We've got to get rid of the $19 trillion in debt," Trump told The Washington Post. "I think I could do it fairly quickly. ... I would say over a period of eight years."
But Trump has put a series of policies in place -- most notably the tax cut law -- that have ballooned the debt to more than $22 trillion in just the last three years alone. And he has done so with no real focus on (or care for) what the ballooning debt means for our overall financial health. And without once fiscally hawkish Republicans in Congress saying much of anything.

dunce.jpg

Into the corner you go....

Today? Barely a peep.

After 6 straight years of QE under Obama that averaged a trillion in deficits for 8 years, why would anyone care?

After 6 straight years of QE under Obama that averaged a trillion in deficits for 8 years, why would anyone care?

When you take into account the Great Recession, making W. Bush’s temporary tax cuts permanent, increased Social Security and Medicare spending as more Baby Boomers retire and become 65 years old and the Afghanistan and Iraq wars he inherited the story is quite different. President Obama’s debt actually grew at a slower annual rate than any of the Republican presidents even though there were events that negatively impacted the deficit that started before he became President. The Great Recession is probably the biggest of them as can be seen in the yearly deficit numbers.

One important difference between Trump's debt figures and Obama's is that Trump has added a massive amount of debt while the US economy has been strong, whereas Obama took over during the depths of the financial crisis.

Izzy, asking why anyone would care about the massive national debt might be one of the dumbest things you have ever stated here. You might want to retake that online Economics 99 class.

When you take into account the Great Recession, making W. Bush’s temporary tax cuts permanent, increased Social Security and Medicare spending as more Baby Boomers retire and become 65 years old and the Afghanistan and Iraq wars he inherited the story is quite different. President Obama’s debt actually grew at a slower annual rate than any of the Republican presidents even though there were events that negatively impacted the deficit that started before he became President. The Great Recession is probably the biggest of them as can be seen in the yearly deficit numbers.

One important difference between Trump's debt figures and Obama's is that Trump has added a massive amount of debt while the US economy has been strong, whereas Obama took over during the depths of the financial crisis.

Izzy, asking why anyone would care about the massive national debt might be one of the dumbest things you have ever stated here. You might want to retake that online Economics 99 class.

You have no idea what yur talking about....and it " Shows ".....!

Glad you care about debt. Anyone else? Except for messy that is.

Trump promised to eliminate the national debt. It has risen by $3 trillion

Despite Mr. Trump’s campaign boasts about wiping out the debt, as president he has adopted an instant-gratification mentality. In addition to backing a $1.5 trillion tax cut without offsetting reductions in spending, Mr. Trump has pushed for increased military spending and has opposed any serious reforms to entitlements. He signed a spending bill that crashed through the limits put in place by the 2011 debt ceiling deal, which was the crowning achievement of the Tea Party.
In some senses, the Trump era is emblematic of a long-running tendency of Republicans to rail against spending during Democratic administrations only to abandon fiscal restraint when one of their own is in power. Even still, Mr. Trump’s ascendance points to a broader shift on the right. Republicans are increasingly dependent on older voters to win elections, who in turn don’t want to see changes to Social Security and Medicare.

Trump promised to eliminate the national debt. It has risen by $3 trillion

Despite Mr. Trump’s campaign boasts about wiping out the debt, as president he has adopted an instant-gratification mentality. In addition to backing a $1.5 trillion tax cut without offsetting reductions in spending, Mr. Trump has pushed for increased military spending and has opposed any serious reforms to entitlements. He signed a spending bill that crashed through the limits put in place by the 2011 debt ceiling deal, which was the crowning achievement of the Tea Party.
In some senses, the Trump era is emblematic of a long-running tendency of Republicans to rail against spending during Democratic administrations only to abandon fiscal restraint when one of their own is in power. Even still, Mr. Trump’s ascendance points to a broader shift on the right. Republicans are increasingly dependent on older voters to win elections, who in turn don’t want to see changes to Social Security and Medicare.
Spigot Boyʻs policy delight.

Back