Ending the half and the game, when to blow the whistle.

I would never blow the whistle during a legitimate attack. There is plenty of wasted time in a game that waiting is reasonable and adding the time is acceptable considering it's likely 30 seconds of time.

Tell me when you see a professional game stop mid attack. It doesn't happen.

One change I would support - time is kept by a clock or by another official. When time runs out, the game ends on the next dead-ball situation.
There is a proposal on the table now for reducing the periods from 45 minutes to 30 minutes but stop the clock for every stoppage. That is supposedly going to stop time wasting.

There is a proposal on the table now for reducing the periods from 45 minutes to 30 minutes but stop the clock for every stoppage. That is supposedly going to stop time wasting.
Doesn't sound good to me. Neither does the video referee stuff. Goal line technology I think is fine, but taking the human element out of this game, like some of the other sports have done, I don't like it.....

Doesn't sound good to me. Neither does the video referee stuff. Goal line technology I think is fine, but taking the human element out of this game, like some of the other sports have done, I don't like it.....

"taking the human element out of this game" -- what does that mean?

One change I would support - time is kept by a clock or by another official. When time runs out, the game ends on the next dead-ball situation.
I agree that this would be the solution. Why is it hard to have time kept by a clock held by the AR? Then when time was up, a buzzer would sound that we could all hear signaling the end of the game. No confusion. How about that?

Everybody has a cell phone now so it seems it would be easy to accomplish this. In regards to added time, I would say that, in youth soccer, there should barely ever be added time. But, if there was a substantial injury delay, then at the end of the half/game regulation time, the center ref could just put up (for example) three fingers for 3 extra minutes if that's what he deemed, and it could be timed by the same clock held by the AR.

Why should refs have to be looking down at their watches at the end of the game? It's a distraction. Plus, many parents time the game, and it's an obvious problem when there has been no real stoppage during the game, yet it continues on after all the parental buzzers go off.

I agree. Did you happen to see the melee towards the end of the Mexico-New Zealand game? Clear video of at least one punch to the head and despite the fact that the CR reviewed the video, no punishment. That's not VAR's fault but its still up the judgment of the Ref, so VAR in some ways is meaningless.

I agree. Did you happen to see the melee towards the end of the Mexico-New Zealand game? Clear video of at least one punch to the head and despite the fact that the CR reviewed the video, no punishment. That's not VAR's fault but its still up the judgment of the Ref, so VAR in some ways is meaningless.
That sort of thing can be, and sometimes is, handled by the governing body after the fact. Yes I saw that video. Referees should have done more..... In my opinion

Back