Electronic Whistle

Just curious as to how refs feel about electronic whistles. Was playing in a pickup game that was being ref'd with an e-whistle and it sounded like a real whistle...took me a few moments to figure out where the whistle sound was coming from. I'm sure traditionalists would frown upon e-whistles...but maybe there is an advantage with not having to bring the whistle to mouth to blow? I've seen refs not 100% sure whether to make a call where they start to raise their arm but decide against it.

Just curious as to how refs feel about electronic whistles. Was playing in a pickup game that was being ref'd with an e-whistle and it sounded like a real whistle...took me a few moments to figure out where the whistle sound was coming from. I'm sure traditionalists would frown upon e-whistles...but maybe there is an advantage with not having to bring the whistle to mouth to blow? I've seen refs not 100% sure whether to make a call where they start to raise their arm but decide against it.
What a great idea!

I've seen coaches use them during practice. They sound exactly like regular whistles.

They should make electronic whistles with distinctly different tones. This way during tournaments players wouldnt get distracted by calls happening on adjoining fields.

I've seen coaches use them during practice. They sound exactly like regular whistles.

They should make electronic whistles with distinctly different tones. This way during tournaments players wouldnt get distracted by calls happening on adjoining fields.
It seems to me that it would be useful to have the option of different emotional tones, so as to distinguish between "start the half" and "cut that out!".

It seems to me that it would be useful to have the option of different emotional tones, so as to distinguish between "start the half" and "cut that out!".
Just bring an air horn for when players get out of hand. Not sure why other than airhorns being extremely loud but people immediately scatter when you point + sound off an airhorn in their direction.

Works against bears as well.

Back