DPL

Overtime

SILVER ELITE
Hearing talk that DPL clubs are considering a DA style format for 2003’s only which includes no high school soccer. Anyone else?

Hearing talk that DPL clubs are considering a DA style format for 2003’s only which includes no high school soccer. Anyone else?
No but his is a dumb move by clubs.
Ugh man USSDA should be prompting all forms of Soccer, they should be working on making HS soccer better.
Imagine if HS Soccer was as competitive and robust as High School Football.
Imaging if the ODP system was more competitive and Robust.
Imaging if they partnered with ECNL and just used them as a feeder system into DA.
Imagine if they promoted PDP and ID2 as a pathway to the National Team.
Imagine if they supported ODP Regional and ID2 teams to travel to more international competitions.
Imagine if they infused monies and endorsements and recognition to local clubs that make it to finals and semi finals of National Cup.
Imagine if they put together a National true age group ranking and stat system, and held a National Showcase event and Invited all the top Club teams regardless of Affiliation.
Imaging if rather than using national training centers for players, they used them for Coaches to help them better develop there players and teams locally.
Imaging if they kept a full coach and club database and showed which clubs/HS coaches were producing the most talented players and these clubs and coaches were rewarded for these achievements.

I believe the USSDA should be promoting all soccer in the USA, they should be promoting more and reaping the rewards of our youth growing up in environments where there are a lot of choices and everything is maximized to be the best it can be. And stop trying to eliminate, or make other avenues to peruse soccer seem irrelevant. Build a system that rewards the individual Coaches for making better players,
But what do i know, maybes this approach is not economically viable, and wont increase revenue....

HS soccer will never be good. With or without DA. All club players and all club coaches. Yet it’s garbage.

But this DPL consideration is stupid. Go play ECNL.

HS soccer will never be good. With or without DA. All club players and all club coaches. Yet it’s garbage.

But this DPL consideration is stupid. Go play ECNL.

Yes, HS Soccer has alot of room for improvement, but think about it, They have club coaches running the programs and honestly especially in my area in Orange County if all the Girls in Club Played HS soccer and the coaches stepped it up and had more USSDA support. The Local HS teams would be able to put together Exceptional Teams. HS already have Stadiums and Facilities and Leagues already set up to do this. It would not take much to get HS Soccer Quality up second to only Football. My thing is why are we not doing that.

DPL you need to think about the rest of the nation, all DA clubs need a way to keep their off year girls in the club too. This is not just a Socal Problem. Clubs need an internal feeder system for their DA teams, call it DA2 , call it Pre-academy, call it DPL whatever. They need something, Its same old B team A team sell. ( PLAY ON THE B-TEAM TO DEVELOP THEN MOVE TO THE A-TEAM NEXT YEAR), there is nothing wrong with it. Clubs need it to be able to develop players internally to infuse their DA-team. Without it , clubs are stuck with recuiting as the major way of bringing new talent and players into their DA teams.

Your kids and their kids will be senior citizens before someone gets it right.
Why is soccer the only year round club sport that is looking to ban high school play? Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, Softball all break for high school. Why is the situation there any different? I am hearing club coaches are frustrated with the rusty play and fitness post HS season. It was stated before in this thread varsity HS soccer is comprised of club coaches and club players. If the quality of play is not up to club standards look in the mirror club soccer. You are basically calling yourselves a failure when it comes to HS soccer.

Different agendas, right? A HS coach is making what $3-4K to coach the season. He’s going to rely on his best theee or four players. He/She doesn’t have to work anyone in that they don’t want to, as HS kids aren’t paying customers. They aren’t as inverted. That’s not saying they don’t want to win.

But look around. Just because a coach coaches at club, doesn’t make them incredible. Did you watch the final between Jserra and SM? It’s classic kickball. GB even said that the opportunity was there to play it over the top every time. That’s not playing out of the back. He does the same at club. He gets results whereas many do not.

I walk around fields and see clubs scrimmaging at practice, not working on anything tactical or technical. There is poor play across the board.

One other factor: the kids need to look in the mirror. They don’t treat HS soccer with the same discipline as club. It’s known as the fun sport and not serious. And ask any player and most educated parent and they will acknowledge, play isn’t good, but it’s fun. School spirit, playing with your buddies is a change of pace as opposed to the grind of club.

Different agendas, right? A HS coach is making what $3-4K to coach the season. He’s going to rely on his best theee or four players. He/She doesn’t have to work anyone in that they don’t want to, as HS kids aren’t paying customers. They aren’t as inverted. That’s not saying they don’t want to win.

But look around. Just because a coach coaches at club, doesn’t make them incredible. Did you watch the final between Jserra and SM? It’s classic kickball. GB even said that the opportunity was there to play it over the top every time. That’s not playing out of the back. He does the same at club. He gets results whereas many do not.

I walk around fields and see clubs scrimmaging at practice, not working on anything tactical or technical. There is poor play across the board.

One other factor: the kids need to look in the mirror. They don’t treat HS soccer with the same discipline as club. It’s known as the fun sport and not serious. And ask any player and most educated parent and they will acknowledge, play isn’t good, but it’s fun. School spirit, playing with your buddies is a change of pace as opposed to the grind of club.
Good point on how HS soccer is treated by the players. Is this such as bad thing....playing for your school, having fun can be a necessary break.

Also your grade level can make a difference. My freshman daughter played varsity on a solid team with a good coach and came out of HS a more confident and better player. As the girls get older this effect may lessen.

Good point on how HS soccer is treated by the players. Is this such as bad thing....playing for your school, having fun can be a necessary break.

Also your grade level can make a difference. My freshman daughter played varsity on a solid team with a good coach and came out of HS a more confident and better player. As the girls get older this effect may lessen.

Most of these kids aren’t playing HS, they play until it’s not fun. And come junior or senior year, you see a bit of drop off from kids who don’t want to do it anymore. There’s nothing wrong with HS soccer. It’s just not good and probably never will be. The stakes aren’t high enough beyond city pride. But club, that’s where there are bones to pick and scores to settle and those games can have a higher bit of quality.

Most of these kids aren’t playing HS, they play until it’s not fun. And come junior or senior year, you see a bit of drop off from kids who don’t want to do it anymore. There’s nothing wrong with HS soccer. It’s just not good and probably never will be. The stakes aren’t high enough beyond city pride. But club, that’s where there are bones to pick and scores to settle and those games can have a higher bit of quality.
Why do we not hear these arguments in other sports? What is so unique to soccer?

It’s always been that way in southern calfornia. I’m not saying that’s right.

Even in the 80s the prime players focused on club more than HS. A good friend was on the national champ boys teams at NHB. He didn’t care about HS and neither did most of his teammates.

I would add that’s volleyball to a lesser degree is in the middle between the other sports and soccer. Club seems to have a prominence.

I think that at least on the Frosh/Soph level, girls should be encouraged to play HS. Most girls who are good club players will be playing up (either JV or Varsity depending on your HS team) which allows them exposure to older girls who albeit less talented, represent a sometimes faster, more physical opponent which can help augment their game. My daughter's first year was great. Not a ton of development but she was able to:
Play with lifelong friends who she never played with that are on rival clubs
Play against club teammates who go to other high schools (fun bragging rights)
Explore new positions (my daughter is a dead set center forward/striker and she played mid for her high school) which was new and scary
Have a new coaches perspective and approach
Get to enjoy a break from the club
These are just a few things that we took away from her first year. I didn't see any greater disparity of injuries or dirty play.

Just some insight from what I thought was a really (Emphasis on) fun season for my DD. She played on a very competitive South OC High School team.

Your right about grade level making a difference. A different dynamic is in play as upperclassman don’t care that a freshman plays on a high-level club team, they still have to earn their respect on the high school field. My freshman dd was a starter on a CIF championship team, but was still assigned to putting the equipment away after games. It taught her a lot and is good experience when they enter the college world even if they are a highly ranked recruit.

Just some insight from what I thought was a really (Emphasis on) fun season for my DD. She played on a very competitive South OC High School team.[/QUOTE]

Mine had much the same experience. As a teenager entering the “scary” high school world, it gave her an identity with classmates and teachers as well. As her team continued to do well and community involvement and support increased, she was exposed to a different dynamic than club soccer. Seeing her teachers supporting the team at games and having a teenage employee at her favorite restaurant recognize her as being on the team is just a different experience than telling people who know nothing about club soccer they won some prestigious tournament.

I would be happy if this happens and my dd gets to play DPL next year. Her High School does not have a sports program and we were wondering how that would play out next year. Currently an 8th grader on a DA team so at least for me .. I would be happy about this.

Back