Deciding between clubs

S00CER1

BRONZE
Curious how others approach multiple invites to join several teams? We decided to explore other clubs for various reasons and she has been asked to join several teams without having tried out - all flight 1. How much can you glean from practices and coach speak? She’s at the age U13 that she is looking for higher competition and considering where this will lead but trying to stay realistic.

Curious how others approach multiple invites to join several teams? We decided to explore other clubs for various reasons and she has been asked to join several teams without having tried out - all flight 1. How much can you glean from practices and coach speak? She’s at the age U13 that she is looking for higher competition and considering where this will lead but trying to stay realistic.

Shortest drive to practice and home games.

How much can you glean from practices and coach speak?
If you've been watching her play, and know the style of soccer she/you enjoy, then you can tell quite a lot from practice and even more so from actual games. On the other hand, I can tell you my wife mostly looks at the W-L record because she is a fan of my kids, but never really a fan of soccer.

I would also recommend you take the time to go watch actual games of the teams you're seriously considering. It might be quite easy to do so since they might all play in the same facility in the upcoming State/National Cup. A couple of examples. In practice I see many teams pass like Barcelona, but in actual games the forward dribbles all day and never passes until she gets dis-possessed. Also if your kid plays defender and you see the goalkeeper punts exclusively, then that might be a no go for you.

Best of luck.

U13 now (which is 2006) or u13 next season?
2006 teams just finished their first season of 11v11.
She was asked to join without a tryout? Has she attended a practice? How do these coaches know her?
What’s the roster doing that opens up a spot for a player to join without practicing at least once with the team.
And just because a team plays Flight 1, it doesn’t necessarily mean they belong there.
If the club has DA and DPL, the flight 1 team is their C team.
Look at the girls 2005 age group as an example. (First year that standings are shown). For the most part, the teams with DA or ECNL have not done so great in flight 1. But the smaller clubs or affiliate programs do pretty well.

What’s your geographic location? LA, OC, SD, IE?

U13 now (which is 2006) or u13 next season?
2006 teams just finished their first season of 11v11.
She was asked to join without a tryout? Has she attended a practice? How do these coaches know her?
What’s the roster doing that opens up a spot for a player to join without practicing at least once with the team.
And just because a team plays Flight 1, it doesn’t necessarily mean they belong there.
If the club has DA and DPL, the flight 1 team is their C team.
Look at the girls 2005 age group as an example. (First year that standings are shown). For the most part, the teams with DA or ECNL have not done so great in flight 1. But the smaller clubs or affiliate programs do pretty well.

Too much reality.

Without getting into specifics, she has practiced with one (a team), offered a spot on another after the coach noticed her during league play(b team), and old club (a team). Honestly she’s a good player with positives and negatives but I am probably more critical of her play.
We’re in LA.

Pick the team with the best coach, which is a coach that:
  1. Has a demeanor that resonates with your player;
  2. Isn't an asshat at the games (joystick coaches, rides the referees, etc.)
  3. Is just as (or more) concerned with developing the players than winning games; and,
  4. Has control over the parents/adults.

Without getting into specifics, she has practiced with one (a team), offered a spot on another after the coach noticed her during league play(b team), and old club (a team). Honestly she’s a good player with positives and negatives but I am probably more critical of her play.
We’re in LA.
Posters have given you some sage advice. I base my team selection on the style of play and the quality of coaching.

My gut feels me to trust no one but trying to make sure that my DD has options after our 1st club experience 3 years ago when she was ‘demoted’ for the sake of playing time.

Take your time......
At her age its tough because you want to still make decision for her but you should also allow HER to make it ultimately (of course you'll still have to steer the ship, wink wink)
Great news on hearing that she has multiple offers . I personally would look at the years ahead of her.
What outlet is there available thru that club....
You have right now about 5-7 years left of soccer before she leave to college right.....
A lot is going to happen in these --between-- years......
Don't make any decision without research......and go to a lot of games, and most importantly practices, a lot of them.....
Im prior experiences a good coach will not rush you ....
See where she sits in the squad, I personally liked seeing my child in the middle percentages knowing that within a yr they could be top 5.......
As always playing time is crucial, coach and his demeanor is very important, and lastly where you DD feels comfortable and where she can make friends.....
You can go to a stacked team that wins like crazy, but never really play and never make friends, and potentially have her hate it.....
or
You can go to a stacked team that wins like crazy, earn that playing time cause she is developing cause she is playing with like minded girls and a awesome coach and love the game and your new friends.....

Congrats and good luck, sounds like she is in a good spot!!

Disclaimer - I don't have a daughter that plays/played, but do have two sons that plays and have over 10 years of experience with total of 5 clubs between the two boys.

As is in life, generally speaking, one has to manage expectations. So when you are trying to decide one club over another, it is exactly the situation to do so. If not, its almost always the case where the parents (more than the kids) are unsatisfied or disappointed.

Sounds like the first order of business is to talk to you kid and find out what is she expecting by moving. The parents then has to match her desires with what is available and best option. Clearly things like practicality and affordability are parts of the equation. So are things like good coaches and so on - those are compulsory and is expected as a part of the expectations.

Its really not a gut call (other than your eval of genuineness of the offers), but rather finding the best situation that meets your expectations. So it is very personal and cannot be generalized by any of us.

Good luck and do take bit of time (don't let any coach tell you that they need an answer by the end of the week), since if they were truly interested now, they'll be interested once you're settled on a firm ground.

Good luck.

Back