DA/ non DA pro and cons checklist

Yes high school soccer allowed "with waiver"- glad you have known some who have done it. It is up to the club to reinstate them as I am told.
Other sports are fine which is the point of my post. I highly doubt that people can leisurely take time off for high school soccer without a real "reason". If they can then why is everyone here up in arms about it? If we can then hey I am all for it!

There are a lot of opinions when it comes to the Girls DA on here. There are those that are against it, those for it, and those who haven't made up their mind yet. Searching for pro's and con's is a difficult thing a few months into its inaugural season. It will be hard to find a consensus either pro or con on this thread as each poster has their own personal experiences. On a micro level it comes down personal experiences and how it's affected ones own family and daughter. It depends on what one wants to get out of club soccer and does the DA offer the right fit. I will add a little perspective on a macro level. The DA is very demanding and a player and family has to be committed to the process as it will consume 4 nights of training and a game or two on the weekend. If soccer is your players number 1 passion than this can be a good schedule for them to thrive.

Costs are depending on which DA club you are with but at worst they would be similar to ECNL, DPL, EGSL, Tier 1 SCDSL, or CSL Premier team that travels to tournaments throughout the year.

Substitution rules are the same as international rules and many parents seem to not like this rule, but it's how the rest of the world plays the game. Once you are subbed out you cannot re-enter the match. This changes the strategy of the match and coaches have to adapt.

Coaching is the same as any league in the sense that one has to find the best fit for themselves. DA has license standards in place and in its inaugural season has some very good new coaches and some coaches who have had success on the ECNL front for years. Regardless every players experiences with a particular coach is unique to that player so finding the right fit regardless of league is paramount.

Video taping all DA games. This hasn't been touched on much but might be the single biggest difference DA offers vs other league's. Besides players and parents having access to every game for highlight videos, college's, etc the videos are a tremendous tool for the coaches. I can't tell you how many times I have watched a match and listened to parents praise or blame a player during a match. How many times have you heard a coach blame a player or praise a player on a specific play? How many times have you seen written on this forum that the talent pool is diluted and there are only a couple impact players on each team surrounded by role players or movable cones? The video tape doesn't lie and you can have 10 people watch the same game live and have 10 different opinions but when you go back and watch the tape reality is a lot clearer. Coaches see things they missed, player A doesn't look as good as first thought, and player B doesn't look as bad as first thought etc. What some describe as role players or cones had a much greater impact than thought. You can see players movement off the ball and get a better grasp on their soccer IQ. In all watching the video tape after the fact without emotion or suspense gives a clearer picture on what actually took place, the breakdowns, the positives, and the contributions from each player.

Playing time is one of the most talked about and speculated things on this subject. I don't think anyone can speculate on why a kid didn't play unless you are that kid or her parents. Injuries, age, sickness, fatigue, match ups, training that week, flow of the game, and many more things factor into this decision. People have lots of opinions that if a kid isn't playing 100% of the time then its a waste of the kids time. This is a micro decision that each individual should make and decide for themselves.

Training as I mentioned above 4 nights a week is a tremendous commitment for the player and her parents. This is where your daughter will excel or not. She will develop as a player these four days even more so than playing 100% in a match once a week. Find out what the club's approach to their training schedule and if your daughter is already playing DA have you seen her grow as a player, is she in better shape, and after a few months is she feeling burned out or is she just as excited to go to practice? Training is a huge piece to reaching your daughters soccer goals.

High School soccer for most is where the journey ends. If your daughter doesn't have dreams of playing in college or internationally than I would recommend HS soccer. It's level of play, coaching, and practices are all over the map from good to really poor, but it can be fun for every level of player. Time and HS soccer are the two biggest con's one has to sacarfice for the DA and regardless the path each of our daughters take in this journey, if they find the best fit for themselves they will enjoy it all the more. DA, ECNL, DPL, EGSL, SCDSL, CSL, Presidio, AYSO, or HS soccer all have something to offer someone.

There are a lot of opinions when it comes to the Girls DA on here. There are those that are against it, those for it, and those who haven't made up their mind yet. Searching for pro's and con's is a difficult thing a few months into its inaugural season. It will be hard to find a consensus either pro or con on this thread as each poster has their own personal experiences. On a micro level it comes down personal experiences and how it's affected ones own family and daughter. It depends on what one wants to get out of club soccer and does the DA offer the right fit. I will add a little perspective on a macro level. The DA is very demanding and a player and family has to be committed to the process as it will consume 4 nights of training and a game or two on the weekend. If soccer is your players number 1 passion than this can be a good schedule for them to thrive.

Costs are depending on which DA club you are with but at worst they would be similar to ECNL, DPL, EGSL, Tier 1 SCDSL, or CSL Premier team that travels to tournaments throughout the year.

Substitution rules are the same as international rules and many parents seem to not like this rule, but it's how the rest of the world plays the game. Once you are subbed out you cannot re-enter the match. This changes the strategy of the match and coaches have to adapt.

Coaching is the same as any league in the sense that one has to find the best fit for themselves. DA has license standards in place and in its inaugural season has some very good new coaches and some coaches who have had success on the ECNL front for years. Regardless every players experiences with a particular coach is unique to that player so finding the right fit regardless of league is paramount.

Video taping all DA games. This hasn't been touched on much but might be the single biggest difference DA offers vs other league's. Besides players and parents having access to every game for highlight videos, college's, etc the videos are a tremendous tool for the coaches. I can't tell you how many times I have watched a match and listened to parents praise or blame a player during a match. How many times have you heard a coach blame a player or praise a player on a specific play? How many times have you seen written on this forum that the talent pool is diluted and there are only a couple impact players on each team surrounded by role players or movable cones? The video tape doesn't lie and you can have 10 people watch the same game live and have 10 different opinions but when you go back and watch the tape reality is a lot clearer. Coaches see things they missed, player A doesn't look as good as first thought, and player B doesn't look as bad as first thought etc. What some describe as role players or cones had a much greater impact than thought. You can see players movement off the ball and get a better grasp on their soccer IQ. In all watching the video tape after the fact without emotion or suspense gives a clearer picture on what actually took place, the breakdowns, the positives, and the contributions from each player.

Playing time is one of the most talked about and speculated things on this subject. I don't think anyone can speculate on why a kid didn't play unless you are that kid or her parents. Injuries, age, sickness, fatigue, match ups, training that week, flow of the game, and many more things factor into this decision. People have lots of opinions that if a kid isn't playing 100% of the time then its a waste of the kids time. This is a micro decision that each individual should make and decide for themselves.

Training as I mentioned above 4 nights a week is a tremendous commitment for the player and her parents. This is where your daughter will excel or not. She will develop as a player these four days even more so than playing 100% in a match once a week. Find out what the club's approach to their training schedule and if your daughter is already playing DA have you seen her grow as a player, is she in better shape, and after a few months is she feeling burned out or is she just as excited to go to practice? Training is a huge piece to reaching your daughters soccer goals.

High School soccer for most is where the journey ends. If your daughter doesn't have dreams of playing in college or internationally than I would recommend HS soccer. It's level of play, coaching, and practices are all over the map from good to really poor, but it can be fun for every level of player. Time and HS soccer are the two biggest con's one has to sacarfice for the DA and regardless the path each of our daughters take in this journey, if they find the best fit for themselves they will enjoy it all the more. DA, ECNL, DPL, EGSL, SCDSL, CSL, Presidio, AYSO, or HS soccer all have something to offer someone.
Remember too, that 99% of the DA girls will never be playing under FIFA rules after DA.

Are the pros/cons any different for a keeper? How many keepers are on a DA team usually? Talking girls soccer.

DA will have 1 or 2 keepers, depending on a club and age group. Normally 2 keepers.
Some DA clubs will share time for 2 keepers, and some will have starting keeper and a back up. In this case back up will normally only get required 25% playing time, unless starting keeper get injured.

My son played DA last year, chose not to this year. The coaching was great. The fields were great. The competition was excellent. The travel was a killer.

IMO, the great thing about DA was quality consistent coaching and playing against good to great teams every week. There are great coaches and players in flight 1, but from what I saw, the DA clubs made a real effort to get their best coaches in DA and then train their DA coaches to be even better.

IMO the quality of teams in flight 1 have been weakened by DA taking a lot of talented players, and there are a lot of weak teams in flight 1. I think there are a few top notch flight 1 teams (who have DA level talent) that will not get much better because they are facing weak competition.

The drive became an issue for my son. We had a half hour drive to practice and back, for an hour each practice. Done 2x a week, it's manageable. Done 4x a week and it really eats into your schedule. The drive to games, IMO, was a nightmare. I live in OC so driving to LA or OC was not an issue, but we regularly had to drive to San Diego and that was a surprisingly difficult drive. Unless you take off early in the morning, you can run into traffic and what should be a 2 hr drive can easily turn into a 3 hr. plus drive. So 1.5 hrs for game, show up 1 hr early, and 6-7 hrs for the drive, 1 hr. for after game meal and you have literally killed 10 hrs. of a day for one weekend. There were 3 SD based teams and it seemed like we had to drive to each SD teams home field twice. Plus travel to Santa Barbara and Bakersfield (6-8 hrs of driving) added up to a lot of wear and tear on your car.

Everyone's situation is different. Purely from the perspective of getting good coaching and playing good teams, DA is great. But if you want your kid doing well in honors classes, or the kid wants to do other sports, or free up weekends to hang out with their friends, I think you are better off practicing 2x a week with a close by club and doing HS soccer.

I believe DA is for the talented player who is willing to sacrifice social life, other sports, and probably grades to pursue their soccer dreams. There may be a few girls with the ability to play DA and do well at school. I have not met a single boy, including my son, that can handle DA and do well in honors classes.

Reactions: USC
My son played DA last year, chose not to this year. The coaching was great. The fields were great. The competition was excellent. The travel was a killer.

IMO, the great thing about DA was quality consistent coaching and playing against good to great teams every week. There are great coaches and players in flight 1, but from what I saw, the DA clubs made a real effort to get their best coaches in DA and then train their DA coaches to be even better.

IMO the quality of teams in flight 1 have been weakened by DA taking a lot of talented players, and there are a lot of weak teams in flight 1. I think there are a few top notch flight 1 teams (who have DA level talent) that will not get much better because they are facing weak competition.

The drive became an issue for my son. We had a half hour drive to practice and back, for an hour each practice. Done 2x a week, it's manageable. Done 4x a week and it really eats into your schedule. The drive to games, IMO, was a nightmare. I live in OC so driving to LA or OC was not an issue, but we regularly had to drive to San Diego and that was a surprisingly difficult drive. Unless you take off early in the morning, you can run into traffic and what should be a 2 hr drive can easily turn into a 3 hr. plus drive. So 1.5 hrs for game, show up 1 hr early, and 6-7 hrs for the drive, 1 hr. for after game meal and you have literally killed 10 hrs. of a day for one weekend. There were 3 SD based teams and it seemed like we had to drive to each SD teams home field twice. Plus travel to Santa Barbara and Bakersfield (6-8 hrs of driving) added up to a lot of wear and tear on your car.

Everyone's situation is different. Purely from the perspective of getting good coaching and playing good teams, DA is great. But if you want your kid doing well in honors classes, or the kid wants to do other sports, or free up weekends to hang out with their friends, I think you are better off practicing 2x a week with a close by club and doing HS soccer.

I believe DA is for the talented player who is willing to sacrifice social life, other sports, and probably grades to pursue their soccer dreams. There may be a few girls with the ability to play DA and do well at school. I have not met a single boy, including my son, that can handle DA and do well in honors classes.

This is 3rd year for my kid in DA. He had 4.1 GPA last year and does find time for homework and social life. He has 2 honors and 2 AP classes this year and so far have been doing great with it. I'm sure there more kids like him out there. It's all about managing time properly.

As a parent who’s done coast, and Scdsl, and now in DA. ; the DA is way better. The competition, the fields, the refereering, the resources, the training, is way better. His teammates are better which helps him to play better, the cost is better. Really just about everything is better really. I would say the traveling may be a little more but I think it’s worth it. Also the parents seem to be more well behaved. There’s no yelling. But once again it just could be the DA team my son plays for. I can’t speak for all parents and their DA opinions but that’s mine. Brand new training facilities with pristine fields are amazing. Makes me think of the shit crappy horrible grass I played on when I was his age. Just the opportunities my son gets makes it worth it. But I’d like to hear other responses from other DA parents.

Again depends. Some clubs do 90 minutes 4 times per week, some 2:30.
This is something US soccer really needs to get a hold on- the basic expectations of conditioning and length of time of a practice which are so varied per club.

Hello

I have been asked by several families if they should take their player to a DA program or not-

I want to make a check list of the pros and cons of each that as unbiased as possible-

Fire away
I feel if your child is a top soccer player they need to be challenged in practice and games - Academy is for them. This doesn't mean there aren't great players playing non DA, but I guessing 80 percent or higher are playing DA at the 03 and 04 levels. 02, 01, 00 may already have commitments etc that does not necessitate DA. As far as coaching normally tbe better coaches on the club are coaching the DA teams. Again 80 percent of the time. As you all know there are some E coaches that are better than some A licensed coaches but that's a not the majority. The child and family need to want this commitment. Great non DA players will still be spotted - but for the most part practicing and playing with top talent would only help them. An example is with USC football during the Carroll era. Practices agaimst the number 1 defense and number 1 offense were the real matches during this time period. It really pushed all players to get better. In fact this is with all sports that have heavy talented teammates around them. With that being said, I feel most DA parents would have been satisfied with just having ECNL if DA was not around. They are training 4 days a week already - 3 practices and a private or fitness training and were allowed to play HS sports. For top soccer players they need to play and train against better players. They need the faster speed of play.
Hello

I have been asked by several families if they should take their player to a DA program or not-

I want to make a check list of the pros and cons of each that as unbiased as possible-

Fire away
If your player is at an elite level, has an Academy nearby and is willing to give up high school sports then give it a try. The best players will get more out of it practicing and playing against higher caliber players. For the most part the better coaches for the club are coaching these teams. In Southern Ca you are traveling the same as the Flight one/ECNL teams. If you are elite you are already practicing 4 days a week - 3 with your team and 1 with a trainer. If you are not on DA you can still go far/noticed just won't have as many looks from college D1 coaches in the future. These coaches are going to need to choose which events they are going to go to. Make sense to go were 80 percent of the talent is compared to 20 percent...

This is 3rd year for my kid in DA. He had 4.1 GPA last year and does find time for homework and social life. He has 2 honors and 2 AP classes this year and so far have been doing great with it. I'm sure there more kids like him out there. It's all about managing time properly.
Your kid is what my friend considers as a "Super Jock". :eek::)

Yes high school soccer allowed "with waiver"- glad you have known some who have done it. It is up to the club to reinstate them as I am told.
Other sports are fine which is the point of my post. I highly doubt that people can leisurely take time off for high school soccer without a real "reason". If they can then why is everyone here up in arms about it? If we can then hey I am all for it!

There is also the Senior Escape - High school Seniors who already have a commitment to a D1 soccer school quit their DA team because they have little reason to forego their last chance at a year of glory for their school.

Totally reasonable to me. I don't see why you would stay actually between the mandated events for a high school senior and college prep.

Hello

Fire away

You just want to stir the pot....

Posts of pros and cons tainted with personal opinions based on where the writer's kid is at.....Ohy....

Boys side has a long track record to look at and probably should be considered as the future state for the girls side, like it or not.

Girls side is new and is bit of wild-wild west where plenty of dust is to be settled among parents.

The winner in all of this is the clubs with DA status, since there is NO Relegation and Promotion for how well the club is doing. Since USSDA keeps standings after U15, the bottom 3 clubs need to be relegated and new clubs promoted into the older group from U14 and under only clubs. Those relegated drops down to U14 and under only.

Yes USSDA conducts annual reviews but I have never seen a club loose DA status, so its not consequential.

There is also the Senior Escape - High school Seniors who already have a commitment to a D1 soccer school quit their DA team because they have little reason to forego their last chance at a year of glory for their school.

Except that if girls side end up like boys side, EVERY college coach wants their recruited players to stay in DA their senior year to maintain form. They look at it as an investment and staying in the DA is unofficial criteria for them to actually get beyond the verbal commitment.

Except that if girls side end up like boys side, EVERY college coach wants their recruited players to stay in DA their senior year to maintain form. They look at it as an investment and staying in the DA is unofficial criteria for them to actually get beyond the verbal commitment.

I think you just made that up. Was not my experience AT ALL.

Back