Cost for privates

Buy some pop-up goals.
Have him contact his teammates saying he will be at <insert name here> park at <insert time here> AM/PM to play soccer.
Sit and watch him figure it out.

If there is some technical deficiency that you guys are worried about, fair enough. Setup a private to address that. Don't to privates for the sake of privates. Have a goal going in.

I don't get why the op and other posters always get flamed for wanting extra training for their kids. (ulittles especially)

We live in a new era. Kids don't play in the streets or parks anymore. Privates / clinics / camps are the new modern play for all sports.

If you want extra work you'll need to take the plunge if your payers truly interested.

Again, do what your player wants but don't listen to the posters telling you "ball and a walls all you need". I don't care how self motivated one is. Repetition like that's going to get boring sooo fast especially for younger kids. You try going in your back yard and kick the ball against the house for an hour. Your going to be done in 5 mins.

Find a trainer, get rates. Most discount for 3 kids. Keep pricing in reason. Don't break the bank at this age so your target price should be between $20-25 hr for group, no more then $40 for an individual. You'll be very supprised if you find someone decent how much improvement you'll see over a few sessions.

This worked 15 years ago. Not anymore.

You very well know this doesn't work in So. California. The lawsuit capital of the world. Too much risk involved regardless of how well you know the other family's.

Still works for my 10 year old and his buds. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess I am a bad parent. LOL.

I think the majority here is right on it...nothing beats playing, live situational experiences, and just getting out there....a bunch of the kids on my DD's team play Futsal on Friday or Saturday's a couple times a month even in season depending on the season schedule....they play, hang out, and have fun....much better than their heads down on their devices....the privates absolutely need to be focused with a goal in mind....I was just texting our DD's Trainer/Private Coach about training on Tuesday night and about what specifically do we want to focus on during the session. There always needs to be a goal and focus. IMHO...getting an assessment on strengths/weaknesses, and having the trainer actually watch a game of two can really help...there is one trainer who works with a couple girls on our team and he was at about 3 games this season watching the kids. He incorporates what he sees with feedback from the kids/parents and they set goals to improve in a couple of areas. It is not a shotgun approach to just see what sticks. Somebody wrote on this thread, you get what you pay for and I believe that is right-on.

The right private trainer/coach can make a big difference...but only if the kid wants it and wants to be there...we did not start privates until our kid asked how she could get better, and that was in February (she is an '06)...we did all the club provided stuff, etc. with her teammates before that and it was more about the social aspect than really training to get better.

I think the majority here is right on it...nothing beats playing, live situational experiences, and just getting out there....a bunch of the kids on my DD's team play Futsal on Friday or Saturday's a couple times a month even in season depending on the season schedule....they play, hang out, and have fun....much better than their heads down on their devices....the privates absolutely need to be focused with a goal in mind....I was just texting our DD's Trainer/Private Coach about training on Tuesday night and about what specifically do we want to focus on during the session. There always needs to be a goal and focus. IMHO...getting an assessment on strengths/weaknesses, and having the trainer actually watch a game of two can really help...there is one trainer who works with a couple girls on our team and he was at about 3 games this season watching the kids. He incorporates what he sees with feedback from the kids/parents and they set goals to improve in a couple of areas. It is not a shotgun approach to just see what sticks. Somebody wrote on this thread, you get what you pay for and I believe that is right-on.

The right private trainer/coach can make a big difference...but only if the kid wants it and wants to be there...we did not start privates until our kid asked how she could get better, and that was in February (she is an '06)...we did all the club provided stuff, etc. with her teammates before that and it was more about the social aspect than really training to get better.

forgot to add something you pointed out. good to get training from someone outside the club so things arent always "doing great" or "efforting well" when you ask for an assessment. trainers who tend to do training for a living often get out to games to see how players are doing . usually from a distance - their version of the Prime Directive.

others mention just going to the park. that is great as well. anything to get a touch on the ball. issue is can they or their friends correct each other's bad habits? not usually, since they usually develop the habit having fun with other kids. on the flip side, the club system (which includes private training system) tends to limit/stifle the style kids develop when playing with their friends - the stuff your kid gets yelled at if they do it in a game. damn that Neymar trying to make the game fun. good to have a balance, but kids do need more than some nets a park these days

This worked 15 years ago. Not anymore.

You very well know this doesn't work in So. California. The lawsuit capital of the world. Too much risk involved regardless of how well you know the other family's.

My neighbors being sued over a backyard basketball game leading into a broken nose from the ball coming off the rim wrong.

They knew the other family for 3 years

Sorry that struck a nerve....That's a joke right? You can't be serious....what a bunch of pitiful, horrible people to sue over kids playing...that kid is in for a rough youth...can't imagine the kid getting invited or allowed into other peoples homes....Is it going to come to the point where you will have to sign a release every-time a kid goes to a friends to play, has a friend over, or has any interaction at all...next you know people will sue for hurt feelings...forgot...already happens.

Maybe parents will start suing clubs and coaches over playing time due to the emotional distress it caused Johnny or Sally. I'm printing up waivers...

Go to the park. Let the city assume the liability. LOL.

If you've organized it and invited the kids, and a kid gets hurt for a reason other than a defect in the park (e.g. a gopher hole), depending on the circumstances they still might come after you and (gasp) win...for example, if one kid plays too rough and breaks another's nose that has nothing to do with the city's liability but they'll say it was your failure to provide adequate supervision, particularly if you just "let them play" or worse were reading a book or went away while this was happening. Not saying it would happen...just in our overly litigious society it could.

If you've organized it and invited the kids, and a kid gets hurt for a reason other than a defect in the park (e.g. a gopher hole), depending on the circumstances they still might come after you and (gasp) win...for example, if one kid plays too rough and breaks another's nose that has nothing to do with the city's liability but they'll say it was your failure to provide adequate supervision, particularly if you just "let them play" or worse were reading a book or went away while this was happening. Not saying it would happen...just in our overly litigious society it could.

Most times I’m not even there. LOL.

The [hopefully definitive :p] comparison of the various ways (outside of club practice) kids have of getting extra touches on the ball. Feel free to provide input. YMMV. I'd think ideally a kid should have a mix of these during their soccer education.

Self-Practice (e.g., banging against a wall, Coerver exercises). Pros: cheap; repetition is a great way to improve; some kids are mature and/or motivated enough to do it. Cons: Could be boring and hard to keep the kid's attention; can't practice certain things without a partner; might learn bad habits if no correction.

Practice with Parent. Pros: cheap; parent might have best idea what coach wants kid to work on; good way to bond and spend time with the kids; parent might be easier to schedule than more organized activities. Cons: Parents might not really know what kid needs to work on or might not fully understand the technique, particularly if they haven't played; some kids push back on parenting.

Camps. Pros: can be fun; meet other players; might learn new things; can work on techniques which require more than 1 person; taught by people with soccer experience. Cons: without repetition and reinforcement techniques learned in camp can be easily forgotten; might not be worth the bang for the buck; even if the head coach is great assistants may not be; talent levels may vary greatly; some camps are more serious than others; claims of ID sometimes are dubious.

Recurring soccer clinics and small group training. Pros: cheaper than privates; recurring reinforcement of techniques learned; can work on techniques which require more than 1 person; taught by people with soccer experience and with motivation to keep customers coming back. Cons: you have to work on things which the instructor wants to work on and not necessarily things you need to improve on; talent level and needs within the group may vary.

Privates. Pros: can work on techniques most immediately pressing for the player; taught generally by people with soccer experience (but you get what you pay for) and with motivation to keep customers coming back; way to get individual attention. Cons: can't recreate scenarios involving more than 2 or 3 people; insurance quality may vary; can be expensive; teaching quality may vary; may not necessarily know what the player needs to work on.

Pickup Games: Pros: great way to have unstructured, creative exploration and self-learning. Cons: hard to arrange in this day and age; liability concerns; usually no correction or supervision of technique.

I’m sorry, I still don’t understand why pick-up games are hard to arrange. LOL. What is the challenge?

more location than getting kids out. although we have had issues even getting kids to show up to state cup in the past. bet if I put scrimmages together Id get kids out who have gone missing the last few weeks

I agree with a couple things said already based on my own experience:

1. Seems kind of young to start private sessions in an '09 player, but it's your money and who are we to say what you do with it?

2. Some players do fine in a small group, others may benefit more from 1 on 1; it is about knowing your kid and their personality. I've noticed my kid does better in 1 on 1 environment. Not worried about "looking stupid" if there isn't a friend there-- more willing to relax and take some risks and make some mistakes. That is my own kid's personality foible.

3. Having an objective is really helpful. In terms of my own kid, initial goal was about correcting shot technique. We have achieved this more or less. In the process, we also developed the "weak foot" to the point where it is no longer "weak". Next, we're moving on to improving 1v1.

4. Improvement is slow and continuous. Hence the belief in the "privates" concept over a period of time vs putting your kid in a 3 day camp that may not have staying power.

5. I would never avoid a scrimmage or game due to fear of litigation. The world is filled with crazy people. Live your life. Don't live it in a bubble.

My 2009 son wants to try some privates over the winter break. Located in Oceanside. Any idea what an hour cost or even a half an hour session.
Check out SDFC they train out of Del Mar. it’s a training academy and a supplement from club training. Very good program in place

I’m sorry, I still don’t understand why pick-up games are hard to arrange. LOL. What is the challenge?
That's easy parents don't have time to take theirs kids out to the park to play or let them go on their own because of fear. Another possibility is that kids get too much homework now than before.

Back