College Entrance Scam includes former Yale Women's Soccer Coach

@Davin, my source was someone who worked for the football program. His point to me was the W-L record for the football team has major financial implications for the school above and beyond just winning or losing on paper. It generates enough to pay for the entire athletic program of the university. And Stanford's endowment is so titanic that I am sure you could show that it pays for whatever you want to show it pays for...I am a fan of Stanford and I am in awe of the University's total and undisputed academic, financial and athletic domination of all other universities
I have my sources too. I'm not sure your's is correct. The coaching endowments at Stanford are specific to that coaching position and not some generic endowment. The donors know exactly which position they are endowing.
Here's one for a defensive back coach on the football staff: https://gostanford.com/news/2017/8/16/football-defensive-backs-position-endowed.aspx
Here's one for the women's swimming coach: https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.c...ns-head-coaching-position-receives-endowment/

@Davin, my source was someone who worked for the football program. His point to me was the W-L record for the football team has major financial implications for the school above and beyond just winning or losing on paper. It generates enough to pay for the entire athletic program of the university. And Stanford's endowment is so titanic that I am sure you could show that it pays for whatever you want to show it pays for...I am a fan of Stanford and I am in awe of the University's total and undisputed academic, financial and athletic domination of all other universities.
...with obvious contempt of any ethical restraint and "all-in" with elitism and discrimination.

UCLA doesn’t want trouble with the NCAA and May want to set an example here.

Soccer is an insignificant sport in the grand scheme of things at UCLA and it would not surprise me if the athletic director cleaned the entire house.

Remember, the soccer coaches are supervised by the athletic director. I’m sure his superiors are asking him some serious questions also.
It would not surprise me if the AD goes as well.

It would not surprise me if the AD goes as well.

It wouldn’t surprise me if UCLA fired all of the men and women’s soccer coaches and self imposed a reduction in the number of scholarships. I could also see NCAA sanctioning them and banning them from playoffs for a couple years.

Rich people f’ing it up for the rest of us.

Rick Pitino from SoCal? Joe Paterno? Baylor University? Tar Heels and their grades? This one crook happens to be in Newport Beach and Feds stumbled upon him. Glad they did. Guaranteed there are 100 other crooks doing similar deals that are sh**ting their pants across the country. Hope they catch more. This isn't just a SoCal problem.
And you better believe it isn't just happening in athletic departments! Engineering, music, art whatever. Oh, your dad is friends with so and so on the board, etc. etc. etc. etc. So sad for all the hard working students who will one way or another suffer some of the consequences and for all the additional pressure put on the younger student athletes coming up.

Well, they don’t call USC “University of Spoiled Children” for nothing...

I think the reason this story is so fascinating is because it covers so many topics and has so many implications:

1) The lengths some parents will go through to prevent their kids from experiencing failure - how are these kids going to deal with failure as adults? (Maybe they won’t have to because they have that financial safety net?)

2) This is going to draw significant attention to college athletics and admissions criteria - such as why are athletes prioritized to begin with? should coaches even have the authority to offer admission to recruits? Recruiting is going to get more difficult and stringent.

3) Will involved programs be penalized for a few years and lose NCAA eligibility?

4) Philosophically, does it really matter that people can buy their way in if they didn’t actually take up a roster spot? If the argument is that these kids didn’t earn it or weren’t as competitive as others, isn’t that the same as affirmative action? We’re talking about 50kids in the US out of 2.2 million incoming freshman each year - that’s .002%. I mean given the choice, would you rather pay $500k to get your kid into USC or just teach your kid to work hard and get their grades up so they earn it?

5) Assuming these kids graduated and are doing well, it says a lot about how you do on theses tests really don’t mean anything in terms of your potential.

Supermodel56, I am sure as an intelligent individual you have done your research and have seen the stats to know that well over 80% of the students at USC are on financial aid. Every school has their super rich students. Please quit calling USC spoiled rich kids. It really is getting old and is offensive to those of us who worked hard, took out loans, had partial scholarships and worked every da_ day for four years. You seem to have some hidden vendetta against USC. My comments are not about all the cheating that has gone on at the many universities that are now under scrutiny, those involved should be punished.

I have my sources too. I'm not sure your's is correct. The coaching endowments at Stanford are specific to that coaching position and not some generic endowment. The donors know exactly which position they are endowing.
Here's one for a defensive back coach on the football staff: https://gostanford.com/news/2017/8/16/football-defensive-backs-position-endowed.aspx
Here's one for the women's swimming coach: https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.c...ns-head-coaching-position-receives-endowment/

Hi Devin I get your point no worries. My general point is that the football program generates a substantial amount of revenue accoring to my source. It is entirely consistent with both of our points that the football program can generate X and there are also endowments assigned to support X for the program although I might argue it does not technically need said support.

It wouldn’t surprise me if UCLA fired all of the men and women’s soccer coaches and self imposed a reduction in the number of scholarships. I could also see NCAA sanctioning them and banning them from playoffs for a couple years.

Rich people f’ing it up for the rest of us.

This has nothing to do with scholarships and there is no reason to reduce them due to this scandal.

This has nothing to do with scholarships and there is no reason to reduce them due to this scandal.

Agreed. The issue is that the coaches are allocated 6-9 recruits that they are allowed to move from the "qualified" bucket into the "admitted" bucket and with little oversight apparently. Sadly some coaches decided to monetize one or more of their slots.

If the NCAA doesn't stamp out maleficence by the athletic departments by reducing scholarships (i.e. their ability to compete)... how exactly do you all suggest they get punished?

Sure you can bring in a new crop of coaches, but that won't teach/keep the boosters or new coaches from falling pray to the same pressures the old coaches did. Take away some scholarship for a couple years on the other hand, and everyone gets taught the lesson and the entire structure works against the influence of outside money.

Last edited:
As punishment, I would suggest that Lauren Isackson start at left back for the UCLA kneelers but that might actually improve the defense.

Thanks Messi!

As punishment, I would suggest that Lauren Isackson start at left back for the UCLA kneelers but that might actually improve the defense.

Thanks Messi!

So aside from complaining you've got nothing?
Can't help but ask... care to share the name of your kid? I'd be interested in looking her up and have a public discussion about how squeeky clean the push-up family is.

If the NCAA doesn't stamp out maleficence by the athletic departments by reducing scholarships (i.e. their ability to compete)... how exactly do you all suggest they get punished?

Sure you can bring in a new crop of coaches, but that won't teach the boosters or new coaches from falling pray to the same pressures the old coaches did. Take away some scholarship for a couple years on the other hand, and everyone gets taught the lesson and the entire structure works against the influence of outside money.
I'm all for punishments that fit crimes. These coaches abused their preferred acceptance slots, so take those away for a couple years.

Good to see USC Trustees stepping up to get their star crew recruits some valuable time on the water.

Lori Loughlins' daughter Olivia Jade was aboard USC official's yacht in Bahamas when mom was charged

Yes there were a couple celebs involved, but I'm not sure the larger message here is only about privilege and wealth. Here's a write up from the NYTimes about another Ivy League cheating scandal not to long back: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/30/us/tm-landry-college-prep-black-students.html

I couldn't tell you if the root of all this shameful behavior around sending kids to college is because social media rubs everyone else's accomplishments in our face day-after-day, and we inflict so much greed and jealously on ourselves; or if the American Dream is truly dead and we are now forced into a death-match over the few left-over crumbs of opportunity? But what I can say for sure is somewhere along the line we've gone off the rails.

Anyway my dd graduates college in a couple months so I'm just going to excuse myself from this thread now that I'm remembering how happy I am the college acceptance stage has passed for me and mine. My only reflection is for all the huff and puff, how many of us wouldn't game the system college system if given the chance (with the way things are), and also how I'll never get back all those sleepless nights spent agonizing my kids future.

Back