College Entrance Scam includes former Yale Women's Soccer Coach

Do you really think that anybody cares about what you do with your kid’s education? I doubt UCLA or USC does. They get more applications and than anyone and their alumni do fine. Were your son’s even recruited by UCLA? With all due respect, your statement is laughable.
That's not the point. Its my/our personal integrity.

No he was not recruited by UCLA and not because he doesn't want to play in college but he's not on the national team pool, like the most recruited are.

Glad you've found it laughable. At least you got a laugh from it.

Not one athletic scholarship is state funded, nor does the athletic department cost the school one cent so the public pays nothing so try again.
UCLA is publicly funded and sits on land that was paid for by the tax payers. To say the athletic department has never benefited from being part of UCLA (and hence benefited from our tax dollars) is just fancy accounting. Without the institution, the athletic department would not exist. Without tax dollars, UCLA would not exist. The UC in UCLA stands for University OF California. We have a right to know.

I am not among the crowd saying anyone should be fired. I am saying that what we know now shows that poor decisions were made at a public university and we tax payers deserve to know the whole story. Once the full story is known, decisions can be made.

So what schools are you recommending for your child?
We're looking at U of Chi, Johns Hopkins, Duke, Georgetown and alike. We'll apply to UCSD/SB as safety schools too. He didn't like Berkeley itself so no Cal for us.

We probably won't bother with Ivys or Stanford, unless he gets up into SAT 1500+/ACT 34+, and subject tests in 780-800 range.

UCLA is publicly funded and sits on land that was paid for by the tax payers. To say the athletic department has never benefited from being part of UCLA (and hence benefited from our tax dollars) is just fancy accounting. Without the institution, the athletic department would not exist. Without tax dollars, UCLA would not exist. The UC in UCLA stands for University OF California. We have a right to know.

I am not among the crowd saying anyone should be fired. I am saying that what we know now shows that poor decisions were made at a public university and we tax payers deserve to know the whole story. Once the full story is known, decisions can be made.

I am not disagreeing with the fact that poor decision making happened but the responsible party is already suffering and could see significant jail time. You fail to realize that UCLA and their women’s soccer team were the victims here.

I am not disagreeing with the fact that poor decision making happened but the responsible party is already suffering and could see significant jail time. You fail to realize that UCLA and their women’s soccer team were the victims here.
I don't fail to realize that. The players are especially the victims. Having said all that and to some extent on behalf of the players, the public deserves to know the full story. At this point we do not and until we do the integrity of the program is in question.

I don't fail to realize that. The players are especially the victims. Having said all that and to some extent on behalf of the players, the public deserves to know the full story. At this point we do not and until we do the integrity of the program is in question.
All athletes at these programs are victims, every single school involved and even the ones that haven't been discovered yet and even student/athletes who are or will be applying to college. I would also add the general student body as well. How many students were admitted because they "knew" somebody or had family donate money to the school?

We're looking at U of Chi, Johns Hopkins, Duke, Georgetown and alike. We'll apply to UCSD/SB as safety schools too. He didn't like Berkeley itself so no Cal for us.

We probably won't bother with Ivys or Stanford, unless he gets up into SAT 1500+/ACT 34+, and subject tests in 780-800 range.

You have curious purity standards. I'm surprised Georgetown is an option given it turned a blind eye for years while more than 12x as many unqualified kids got in through the tennis team as part of the same scandal. Georgetown also has a slight issue with its history of selling slaves to finance the school and sloppy handling of that little tidbit of information. Oh, and at least 14 current and former Georgetown connected priests have been credibly accused of sexual abuse. which shouldn't be a surprise given the horrific handling of sex abuse by the Catholic church. But I guess the systematic molesting of little boys is small potatoes compared to the horror of one girl at UCLA getting admitted who didn't deserve to make the soccer team.

Wanna talk about Duke? It recently paid $112 million for fraudulently obtaining federal grants using fabricated research. But at least the basketball team is perfectly clean.

How was UCLA the victim? The head coach of a sport has to personally present any special admits to the admissions committee. Amanda herself has to do that. Secondly, the head coach of a team has to personally sign the official roster which is then circulated to compliance, housing, sports information, training room etc. The roster is an official document. Signed off on by AC herself. How are they the victims?

AC knowingly admitted a player on a w soccer slot who wasn't deserving. That is fraud.

There is an active investigation happening now. AC is telling parents "I did someone a favor" as her spin on the situation but that might not be enough to save her as admitting someone whether it's a favor or in exchange for money it is still fraud. UCLA wants to save her but it might not be up to them if the optics look bad enough.

What makes you think that the players don’t know what is going on and that they and all involved parties and their parents haven’t been instructed to not comment?

How was UCLA the victim? The head coach of a sport has to personally present any special admits to the admissions committee. Amanda herself has to do that. Secondly, the head coach of a team has to personally sign the official roster which is then circulated to compliance, housing, sports information, training room etc. The roster is an official document. Signed off on by AC herself. How are they the victims?

AC knowingly admitted a player on a w soccer slot who wasn't deserving. That is fraud.

There is an active investigation happening now. AC is telling parents "I did someone a favor" as her spin on the situation but that might not be enough to save her as admitting someone whether it's a favor or in exchange for money it is still fraud. UCLA wants to save her but it might not be up to them if the optics look bad enough.

You clearly don’t know what you are talking about. You have no clue what was told to anyone and you are dead wrong about the athletic admissions process.

This is exactly the reason why everyone is keeping quiet. The media and people like you are assuming a lot.

You have curious purity standards. I'm surprised Georgetown is an option given it turned a blind eye for years while more than 12x as many unqualified kids got in through the tennis team as part of the same scandal. Georgetown also has a slight issue with its history of selling slaves to finance the school and sloppy handling of that little tidbit of information. Oh, and at least 14 current and former Georgetown connected priests have been credibly accused of sexual abuse. which shouldn't be a surprise given the horrific handling of sex abuse by the Catholic church. But I guess the systematic molesting of little boys is small potatoes compared to the horror of one girl at UCLA getting admitted who didn't deserve to make the soccer team.

Wanna talk about Duke? It recently paid $112 million for fraudulently obtaining federal grants using fabricated research. But at least the basketball team is perfectly clean.

Didn't realize that I was stepping into a trap. You only wanted to know what schools we were considering so you can simply bring up all the mishaps of the past, including what happened during slavery period of our country. I'm certain none of us, not just Georgetown, are proud of those times. Perhaps you're either UCLA or USC grad? Our family has two UCLA grads.

Yes almost every school has issues but the difference is who they are today, as our kid is considering to apply. Cannot go back and change the past and often is the case, those involved are gone today. Clearly not the case for either USC or UCLA administrators or ADs.

I only mentioned that we have crossed off these two schools because we have options, thanks to my kids grades/scores and his extracurriculars.

You have no clue what was told to anyone and you are dead wrong about the athletic admissions process.

We all have a vested interest in the admissions process for our public universities, given how competitive it is to get in. One would hope the process to gain admission outside of normal application channels would be closely monitored, have multiple layers of approval and review, and the decision maker who vouches for someone's direct admission remains accountable for that person. I doubt the process was "just pay Salcedo."

In this case, it may be that a favor resulted in or necessitated future fraud, and the mistakes and poor judgment multiplied. That is what happens when you start out with a lie -- the cover-up is often worse.

By way of contrast, my own child's athletic commitment to a D1 program required meeting and an interview with every member of the coaching staff, an interview with the assistant athletic director, meeting with the head trainer, and meeting with people in academic services and advising (not to mention spending two days with the team). On an ongoing basis, in addition to still watching her play, the soccer staff requires she send every standardized test score and her interim and final grades/transcripts every semester. The coaching staff also met with us, her parents, several times, both with and without our daughter present, and we met with the assistant AD at their request. When I expressed my surprise at the amount of time they spent with us prior to the commitment, the coach made it very clear it was not about soccer. He stated that his career, the soccer program and the school are directly impacted by the decisions every player makes, both on and off the field. He needed to be confident that the players he recruited had the right character.

I do not know AC. She seems like a hell of a coach, and we need more of those in this country. I am less certain about who she is as a person, but I hope this experience makes her an even better one.

To find fraud, you must have a victim who is harmed because they reasonably relied to their detriment on a false misrepresentation. If UCLA is not a victim as you claim, then there is no fraud. Which means the Isackson's were morons for pleading guilty on the fraud claim. Unless, just maybe, you're the one who's the moron.

To find fraud, you must have a victim who is harmed because they reasonably relied to their detriment on a false misrepresentation. If UCLA is not a victim as you claim, then there is no fraud. Which means the Isackson's were morons for pleading guilty on the fraud claim. Unless, just maybe, you're the one who's the moron.

There does not need to be an actual victim for mail fraud - no one needs to be harmed. It's the Isackson's intent that matters.

The forum's collective IQ level seems to drop every time you post. Please stop.

There does not need to be an actual victim for mail fraud - no one needs to be harmed. It's the Isackson's intent that matters.

The forum's collective IQ level seems to drop every time you post. Please stop.

The legal definition for mail/wire fraud is that the intent has to be to obtain money or property... in other words, if you send a letter to a friend that contained a lie, you wouldn’t be charged for fraud unless you we’re trying to use that lie to obtain money or property - which in the case of this scam they did neither. They lied to gain admission - to pay money, the Isaacksons were not seeking any financial benefit.

Racketeering is when an organized business is dealing with illegal or fraudulent activity. The families involved were not part of the business - they were simply customers.

The legal definition for mail/wire fraud is that the intent has to be to obtain money or property... in other words, if you send a letter to a friend that contained a lie, you wouldn’t be charged for fraud unless you we’re trying to use that lie to obtain money or property - which in the case of this scam they did neither. They lied to gain admission - to pay money, the Isaacksons were not seeking any financial benefit.

Racketeering is when an organized business is dealing with illegal or fraudulent activity. The families involved were not part of the business - they were simply customers.

You would be laughed out of court.

You would be laughed out of court.

I don’t think you know how the law works... you actually have to break a law to be convicted. The first question the lawyers will ask is what money or property did they seek to defraud the university from?

Again, with the whole definition thing, try looking it up...

Back