Coach Recommendations

Hi! I'm in Orange County, CA, and have a son who is a very athletic, technically proficient player (2010). Can you recommend any coaches in the O.C. area who a) generally utilize positive, encouraging words in training/games, b) are very mild in the "joystick" department, and c) coach flight 1 or 2 teams (2010 or 2009)? Any insight you can offer would be much appreciated. Thank you!

flight 1 for 8 or 9 year olds...awesome.

first need to get the whole flight level stuff out of your head. kid needs to be placed, by a coach who hopefully you trust to make the decision, into the appropriate flight. most clubs stick kids wherever you want as long as you pay the $$$$. so need to find a coach who will be honest with evaluations - that doesnt include your evaluation. sometimes Ill take the 8 year old sunday league kid over the "flight 1" club player - at that age flight isnt all that important.

whether its flight 1, 2, 3, Signature, Rec the kid should be working on technical training. sometimes its done through the club but Im an advocate of training outside the club - coaches without club ties tend to be more straight shooters. Also no bias involved and not just looking to keep you attending their training.

At age 8 or 9 kids most kids dont have enough understanding of the game to be told what to do. Obviously you dont want a puppet master but the kids will need to be told where to be and who needs to "check" or make runs or whatever...since they arent pros. You wont get kids really "getting IT" until they are at least around 12 years old - most wont even have it click (if it ever does) until they are in their teens. Eventually it sinks in with enough consistent input. Cant always be positive since kids also need a kick in the arse at times...at all ages. Also all kids react differently to various styles of coaching - some kids like ridged coaches and others do well with super positive coaches. Sometimes you need both styles at once from different coaches working with your child. Have to figure out what is best for your kid. I think coaches should have a good general temperament but not realistic not to yell...sometimes more when the team is not having a good day.

Richard Chaplow. Surf B2010. He really meets your criteria and is truly fantastic.

I have a kid that trains with him (different age), but I am familiar with his coaching and you should see about getting out to a few of his practices.

flight 1 for 8 or 9 year olds...awesome.

first need to get the whole flight level stuff out of your head. kid needs to be placed, by a coach who hopefully you trust to make the decision, into the appropriate flight. most clubs stick kids wherever you want as long as you pay the $$$$. so need to find a coach who will be honest with evaluations - that doesnt include your evaluation. sometimes Ill take the 8 year old sunday league kid over the "flight 1" club player - at that age flight isnt all that important.

whether its flight 1, 2, 3, Signature, Rec the kid should be working on technical training. sometimes its done through the club but Im an advocate of training outside the club - coaches without club ties tend to be more straight shooters. Also no bias involved and not just looking to keep you attending their training.

At age 8 or 9 kids most kids dont have enough understanding of the game to be told what to do. Obviously you dont want a puppet master but the kids will need to be told where to be and who needs to "check" or make runs or whatever...since they arent pros. You wont get kids really "getting IT" until they are at least around 12 years old - most wont even have it click (if it ever does) until they are in their teens. Eventually it sinks in with enough consistent input. Cant always be positive since kids also need a kick in the arse at times...at all ages. Also all kids react differently to various styles of coaching - some kids like ridged coaches and others do well with super positive coaches. Sometimes you need both styles at once from different coaches working with your child. Have to figure out what is best for your kid. I think coaches should have a good general temperament but not realistic not to yell...sometimes more when the team is not having a good day.
I'll take that into consideration. Thank you.

Richard Chaplow. Surf B2010. He really meets your criteria and is truly fantastic.

I have a kid that trains with him (different age), but I am familiar with his coaching and you should see about getting out to a few of his practices.
Beautiful! Small world, but I actually have a connection to him--though I've never formally met him. Really appreciate the rec! Blessings!

How do you objectively measure progresion/development?
This is hard for most parents as they might not have the ability to assess things such as: is your child receiving the ball with the correct foot, how is the child moving without the ball, is the child moving in the correct spaces for his position (appropriate for his current age), workrate efficiency, is he passing with correct technique (not toe poking or always passing with outside of foot) etc. Stuff you can notice: strength of passing, focus, strength of tackling/aggressiveness (not to be confused with over-aggression which might need to be toned down in some kids) , touch on the ball, finishing, speed of play, movement (not standing around), give-aways (something most parents tend to be blind to their child committing) and more. Not always about scoring, well except if your kid is a striker and putting the ball in 1/10 shots. Depends on what position your child is playing and what the coach requires of them in the system he/she is playing. Two DM or One DM system? Two striker or One Striker? Different responsibilities and different strengths needed. That is why finding a good coach is important at all ages.

Back