Club Selection

Supermodel56

SILVER ELITE
So as tryouts (official and unofficial) are happening over the next few months, I'd love your thoughts on what factors you'd prioritize in selecting a club/team for your DD/DS. Since my DD is younger and I know things change over time, this would primarily be for U12 and under. We're getting a new coach next year with a much different coaching style and there will be some movement on our current team where some of the better players might leave for various reasons... Here is an example with a few consideration factors but feel free to add your own or remove to simplify...

U12 and under
1) coaching style/temperament a good fit for player
1a) focus on individual skills and showcasing vs teamwork/passing/winning
2) level of play by teammates (being challenged)
3) league level of play
4) playing time
5) club reputation
6) winning team/ability to win games or have strong record
7) cost
8) amount of travel
9) coach credentials (level E vs B, etc..)
10) number of players on team
11) being best player on team
12) other parents that you get along with/friends
13) others?

So as tryouts (official and unofficial) are happening over the next few months, I'd love your thoughts on what factors you'd prioritize in selecting a club/team for your DD/DS. Since my DD is younger and I know things change over time, this would primarily be for U12 and under. We're getting a new coach next year with a much different coaching style and there will be some movement on our current team where some of the better players might leave for various reasons... Here is an example with a few consideration factors but feel free to add your own or remove to simplify...

U12 and under
3) league level of play
4) playing time
5) club reputation
7) cost
8) amount of travel
13) others?

This is an excellent question! As with anything related to our children it is something that needs to be dealt with in an extremely thoughtful manner. What is really interesting about the whole journey is that what club or team is the right fit might change over time as your player does. The key question that you have to answer before I could give you advice is what does your player want out of it at this point? Is she looking to play at the highest level or does she just like going to have fun with a group of friends? For my player U11-U12 was when what she wanted started to diverge with what her original club team seemed to be about and a change became necessary. Also I would say the answer differs for boys versus girls in my humble old fashioned opinion.

U12 and under
3) league level of play
4) playing time
5) club reputation
7) cost
8) amount of travel
13) others?
My dd is older, but when she was in U12 we definitely looked at:
1: Coach first, has to be a good fit or your dd will not grow as a player.
2: League/team that fits your dd's ability level, not too high and not too low. Your dd needs to play, but yet still be challenged
3: I will not drive far to get her on the highest level team in Southern California. I know some parents drive 1 1/2 hours or more for the top teams, so their priorities are much different.
Everything else to me doesn't matter. Costs are all about the same everywhere. Coach credentials don't matter too much, depends on the coach. Number of players on the team doesn't matter if you dd is on the right team level. You will make friends on any team.
Just my opinion, of course...

U12 and under
3) league level of play
4) playing time
5) club reputation
7) cost
8) amount of travel
13) others?
I didn't see having fun anywhere on your list.
For Ulittles, this is the only thing that matters, because without this, there won't be any of the other decisions to be made when they are Uolder.
Like Make a Play said, there will be a point when they decide what they want to do (play with friends, be challenged, play HS, play college, etc.). At that point you can decide what path is right for your kid.

Great question!
My opinion u9-u11 totally about ease, fun, development in the truest sense of the word. Who will actually TEACH the game. A W doesn't mean they can teach it means they can often recruit.
For my friends it was about who has the top team, who won the most trophies. Being honest here sometimes you have to take the road less traveled.

My DD is pretty passionate about soccer... Going into U10 she had already decided she wanted to play for the "better club" vs playing with her friends and took a lot of pride being able to make the A team and being one of only a handful of new players. I had warned her but she was willing to take the risk of riding the pine (whether for political or other reasons) for the opportunity to train with better players and a chance to compete for a starting role. She's ultra competitive and hates to lose - and she's not a selfish player at all - she's just as happy feeding her teammates and making great passes/crosses as she is scoring goals.

She loves watching soccer and 2-3 times a week I'll catch her at home just messing around with the ball practicing her skills.

She's in a good place right now but with so many things in the air it's uncertain what the team will look like next year... If we lose a couple of players (due to playing up or whatever) it will definitely change the dynamic and level of play. At which point we have to decide do we have her play up on an A team at a different club, stay, etc...

Would love your thoughts!

Yes, having fun is first. But, why would they be playing club soccer if they aren't having fun?
Soccer should be fun for them or they shouldn't be playing club. When it becomes a chore, then you need to re-think your
dd playing.

My DD is pretty passionate about soccer... Going into U10 she had already decided she wanted to play for the "better club" vs playing with her friends and took a lot of pride being able to make the A team and being one of only a handful of new players. I had warned her but she was willing to take the risk of riding the pine (whether for political or other reasons) for the opportunity to train with better players and a chance to compete for a starting role. She's ultra competitive and hates to lose - and she's not a selfish player at all - she's just as happy feeding her teammates and making great passes/crosses as she is scoring goals.

She loves watching soccer and 2-3 times a week I'll catch her at home just messing around with the ball practicing her skills.

She's in a good place right now but with so many things in the air it's uncertain what the team will look like next year... If we lose a couple of players (due to playing up or whatever) it will definitely change the dynamic and level of play. At which point we have to decide do we have her play up on an A team at a different club, stay, etc...

It's great you found a good team with good players and your dd is being challenged. Sounds like it's been a good experience so far and that is huge. Every year with the teams changing/forming, it gets a bit scary. What are the rest of the families talking about doing? Are they staying? If so, why leave? Sounds like your dd will make the team again and get to play with her friends again. Sounds like a win/win situation right now. Unless, of course, other players decide to leave, coaching staff changes, and new players come in that change the dynamics. Try-out time is not fun!! You never know what you're gonna get, even with a new team.

If she is passionate about it and truly wants to push herself here is what I would do.

1. Pick a coach that is a good communicator. Girls need to be spoken to in a certain way at that impressionable age so a coach that is able to communicate clearly his/her expectations and explain clearly how he/she wants things done to me seemed the right fit at that age. I also agree with Madcow that having drills and practice sessions that are fun like gamifying them is a good thing for young competitive teams. I would like to add that at this age I would recommend getting a good private skills trainer because the coach isn't going to have the time to spend exclusively on skills that is necessary to develop a really high level player of any position.

2. Pick a club that has more than one good coach. The reality is that in most of the more successful clubs which have the history of producing the majority of the more successful players tend to switch the teams coach anywhere from every 2-3 years. This doesn't include the numerous other reasons that you might see a change in your daughters coach at some point. I would be sure that there are other good coaches around.

3. Pick a team with players with the same level of desire as your player. This is HUGE as these are the kids that are going to be spending a ton of time with your player and their good and bad habits will be on full display for your players impressionable mind. If your kid is around a bunch of motivated high achievers it is going to push her to do the same. If she is around a bunch of mean girls and slackers it will either drag her down or frustrate her.

Those would be the 3 biggest considerations for me if I was picking the right place for my player. I would always let her make the final decision. It's good practice for her and if you line up a couple of good options it really puts the power in her hands while still maintaining a level of well meaning parental control.

At the end of the day the club is just a label. You don't just buy clothes for the label you try them on to see if they fit. Sometimes the off brand is a good fit sometimes the name brand is the best fit it just depends on the outfit. Oh and how much Lycra is involved. Just kidding.

Thanks for the feedback! I didn't include "fun" simply because I feel like all of those factors go into "fun" - and I think it's important that it not only be fun for the kid, but also somehow "fun" for the parents too. Riding the pine is no fun (she's not), but at least for my daughter, neither is being on a team where no one else knows how to play "real" soccer.

I'm really interested in how YOU ALL would prioritize given all the complexities - so I'll hold off on getting too deep into our personal situation until further down. There are no "wrong" answers - since everyone has their own situations, but it'd be really valuable for me and hopefully others to hear from folks who've been through it to get their views and thought process!

Good coach that makes practices fun and informative. Nice girls that make good friends and teammates. That's all that matters. If you don't have these two things, leave. Otherwise, let them just have fun and develop a skill. 99.9% will end up being something other than pro soccer players, so creating good memories is what this is about.

All good points. For U12 and under this is a key developmental stage if they plan to continue playing Club. Many of the large clubs rates are relatively consistent but some will then require parents/players to participate in fund raising campaigns or other related activities. Instead, look for clubs that offer and actually provide good coaching, good skills programs and clinics that are focused on developing the players to be a proficient, knowledgeable and competitive as they get older. Remember that parents are paying the club to provide all these key developmental opportunities. Also, the club should have a consistent practice facility. Some clubs will often move from one location to another as well as practice times which can be challenging for parents, so keep all these things in mind when looking into other clubs. Additionally, be cautious of clubs that have frequent coaching changes at these age level.

Many clubs will allow prospective players to train with a club for several sessions. Take advantage of this, this will allow you and your DD to really get a sense of the type of training being provided. You can also use this time to speak with parents about the program. Too often, parents will show up for one practice and make a decision right there and then, be patient and remember you are paying to see your DD improve and thrive in a good learning environment. Find the right one that fits your DD's development needs. On a related note, a parent must also be committed to the club. I've experienced cases where parents may have their DD playing other sports simultaneously. This not a bad thing, but many times parents don't show up for practices or even games because of conflicting schedules. This can create issues among other parents and the coach. For example, if your DD is an impact player but misses practices and then shows up to a game and parents expect them to start and they do not, parents get upset. Club soccer is a big commitment especially if you are serious about your DD's development. In short ask about the number of tournaments the club is planning on participating in so you can determine your level of commitment to not just the club but to your DD's other sports activities. Don't be misled by clubs using the term "Try-outs". Clubs will take you money! As mentioned above, use the so called try-out sessions to really see if the club fits your DD's developmental needs. Don't be afraid to check things out and make the change. Too often, parents will say that they feel obligated to stay with a club because they have made good friends with other parents or their DD has a good team bond. Friends and bonds are great, but in the end as a parent you need to find the right club that wants to improve your DD's soccer skills and not just win to make a better name for the clubs benefit. Again, you are paying the club. In closing there are several clubs out there that are very reasonable in cost and actually provide far more than the expensive clubs that are out there, but you need to take the time to test drive them!

From a purely "Club Selection" standpoint I would choose a club that is player centered and not club centric...so not a club that is focused on its brand development. We have been on both sides of that equation and the difference is dramatic. A club that has a stable of good coaches with longevity with the club.

From a "Coach Selection" standpoint I want a coach that can communicate effectively with youth and can challenge kids in a fun environment. Kids don't learn as effectively if they aren't enjoying what they're doing. A coach that guides the kids but doesn't joystick their play. A coach that allows mistakes. A coach that instills confidence in kids. A coach that shows passion for the game.

From a "Team Selection" a team where my child is not the best or the worst on the team, challenging but not overwhelming. A team with kids that my child will hang out with when not playing or practicing.

I wish there was a Yelp for coaches. There are certain things I look for and want to hear coaches say, but at this point it's all just talk. Everyone says they teach possession, everyone says your kid will play, but how do you really know? I know the best way is to probably go watch them at a game or have your kid guest, but that's not always realistic in terms of time/opportunities/circumstances (at least for our family), and it's also just a snapshot of them at that moment.

Yes, having fun is first. But, why would they be playing club soccer if they aren't having fun?
Soccer should be fun for them or they shouldn't be playing club. When it becomes a chore, then you need to re-think your
dd playing.
I wish there was a Yelp for coaches. There are certain things I look for and want to hear coaches say, but at this point it's all just talk. Everyone says they teach possession, everyone says your kid will play, but how do you really know? I know the best way is to probably go watch them at a game or have your kid guest, but that's not always realistic in terms of time/opportunities/circumstances (at least for our family), and it's also just a snapshot of them at that moment.

There is it's called ratemysoccercoach.com. A colorful site indeed
Out of curiosity I looked at my daughters coach. Funny how last year a person we know rated him 5/5 and I know for a fact this person has since spewed venom about the guy.
Food and services are not emotional. Unfortunately our kids are to us and so it's difficult to ascertain who is upset about various things at club vs who is a real coach to avoid.
I think ulittles is the hardest but I know that by 13 we all kind of know the gig. We know who they are and our daughters can state I don't want to play for that guy.
The only one that consistently gets tons of support and I cannot understand for the life of me why is a "famous futsal guy" who screams at seven year olds and recruits six year olds. No thanks

There is it's called ratemysoccercoach.com. A colorful site indeed
Out of curiosity I looked at my daughters coach. Funny how last year a person we know rated him 5/5 and I know for a fact this person has since spewed venom about the guy.
Food and services are not emotional. Unfortunately our kids are to us and so it's difficult to ascertain who is upset about various things at club vs who is a real coach to avoid.
I think ulittles is the hardest but I know that by 13 we all kind of know the gig. We know who they are and our daughters can state I don't want to play for that guy.
The only one that consistently gets tons of support and I cannot understand for the life of me why is a "famous futsal guy" who screams at seven year olds and recruits six year olds. No thanks

Interesting! But ya, unfortunately not that helpful considering experiences are relative. I guess we will have to go about it the old fashioned way.

This article was originally posted 3 years back
It was so good at the time and I see that it was recently reposted .
It's all about the coach and it's great
http://goalnation.com/identifying-watching-developmental-saboteur/

Thanks for this. We haven't personally dealt with this situation but I have seen a lot of teams with big physical forwards and the rest of the players job is just to get the ball to them. I would avoid this kind of team at all costs.

If she is passionate about it and truly wants to push herself here is what I would do.

1. Pick a coach that is a good communicator. Girls need to be spoken to in a certain way at that impressionable age so a coach that is able to communicate clearly his/her expectations and explain clearly how he/she wants things done to me seemed the right fit at that age. I also agree with Madcow that having drills and practice sessions that are fun like gamifying them is a good thing for young competitive teams. I would like to add that at this age I would recommend getting a good private skills trainer because the coach isn't going to have the time to spend exclusively on skills that is necessary to develop a really high level player of any position.

2. Pick a club that has more than one good coach. The reality is that in most of the more successful clubs which have the history of producing the majority of the more successful players tend to switch the teams coach anywhere from every 2-3 years. This doesn't include the numerous other reasons that you might see a change in your daughters coach at some point. I would be sure that there are other good coaches around.

3. Pick a team with players with the same level of desire as your player. This is HUGE as these are the kids that are going to be spending a ton of time with your player and their good and bad habits will be on full display for your players impressionable mind. If your kid is around a bunch of motivated high achievers it is going to push her to do the same. If she is around a bunch of mean girls and slackers it will either drag her down or frustrate her.

Those would be the 3 biggest considerations for me if I was picking the right place for my player. I would always let her make the final decision. It's good practice for her and if you line up a couple of good options it really puts the power in her hands while still maintaining a level of well meaning parental control.

At the end of the day the club is just a label. You don't just buy clothes for the label you try them on to see if they fit. Sometimes the off brand is a good fit sometimes the name brand is the best fit it just depends on the outfit. Oh and how much Lycra is involved. Just kidding.
well said

Back