Changes to the Laws of the Game

So it might be premature because we haven't seen the wording yet, but wondering on thoughts about how the new Laws might affect the youth game.

They apparently include:
-goalkicks no longer need to leave the penalty area
-no opponents in the wall on a free kick
-a goalkeeper only needs to have one foot on the line during a penalty
-handball goals disallowed whether deliberate or not
-drop ball in some situations if the ball hits the ref (rumored to be if possession changes control)
-managers and coaches can be shown cards

IMHO the big one is the goal kicks rules....in the youth game it will encourage more "sending it" and also seem to destroy the build out line (the penalty box now is the build out line at all levels).

The one I least look forward to as a ref is the ball striking me rule. If I'm hit the first thing on my mind isn't monitoring whether the ball changed possession.

Can't see the one foot rule changing anything on goalkeeper technique defending a penalty...they really should move the spot back. Will be fun to see coaches get carded.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/esp...ecessary-meddling-they-reward-attractive-play

Very little impact for any of the rule changes (although they make sense so it’s a good move IMO). 90% of teams I watch ‘send it’ anyway so the penalty area change for goal kicks won’t alter that.

For teams who are patient and prepared to play out of the back, it’s actually an advantage, certainly the way I see it anyway. Rather than having to wait for the ball to come out of the area, you can now go inside, change the angle and distance and receive a shorter pass from the keeper. If opponents decide to press inside the area, they could be left even more exposed in midfield when you’ve sucked them in. Risky? Sure. But risk and courage are necessary to help young players develop.

“It’s too dangerous receiving it right in front of your goal!” I can already hear the cries from coaches and sidelines...

So it might be premature because we haven't seen the wording yet, but wondering on thoughts about how the new Laws might affect the youth game.

They apparently include:
-goalkicks no longer need to leave the penalty area
-no opponents in the wall on a free kick
-a goalkeeper only needs to have one foot on the line during a penalty
-handball goals disallowed whether deliberate or not
-drop ball in some situations if the ball hits the ref (rumored to be if possession changes control)
-managers and coaches can be shown cards

IMHO the big one is the goal kicks rules....in the youth game it will encourage more "sending it" and also seem to destroy the build out line (the penalty box now is the build out line at all levels).

The one I least look forward to as a ref is the ball striking me rule. If I'm hit the first thing on my mind isn't monitoring whether the ball changed possession.

Can't see the one foot rule changing anything on goalkeeper technique defending a penalty...they really should move the spot back. Will be fun to see coaches get carded.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/esp...ecessary-meddling-they-reward-attractive-play

Coaches as well as parents DO get carded and it is in State Cup rules.

This is an aside, but...

Right after they changed the kickoff rule, our kids took a backwards kick to start a game because they knew it was legal. The old school (and just old) ref blew the whistle and made them retake it. All the parents started shouting "It's okay... rule change. The rule changed..." The ref ignored them and went on with the game. Much later in the game, the ref was out of position and blew for offside when the kid was clearly on. The parents started shouting again, "that's not off side... he was on..." The ref turned to the parents and shouted. "It's okay. Rule change..."

It was a very funny moment.

I'm sure someone at the Development Initiative is tearing their hair wondering what they are going to do now with the build out line for the youngest.
Don't think the build out line will be impacted at all. Opponents will still have to be behind the build out line. Just now the goal kick can be passed to someone 5 yards away instead of 10+.

Even for older divisions, opponents will still have to stand outside the penalty area. The team taking the goal kick has the opportunity to play short or go long. The only reason players stand outside the pa now is that they cannot play the ball before it crosses the line. Now they won't have to. Not much change at all.

I think it’s they can move in to the pa as soon as the ball is initially kicked (works like a kickoff)
Not exactly. As it exists now, opposing players cannot be in the penalty area until the ball has cleared the pa. Players from the team taking the goal kick can be in the penalty area at any time, but cannot play the ball until it has exited the penalty area. There's no restriction on where they can start.

The rule was changed as teams were wasting time by stepping into the pa and playing the ball, forcing a retake of the goal kick. Also many opposing players didn't realize they couldn't cut across the corner to close down when the ball was played short to the side of the pa - that would also force a retake of the goal kick. This change eliminates that, and though the final wording isn't out, I'd be shocked if the requirement that opponent's stay out of of the pa doesn't remain.

Not exactly. As it exists now, opposing players cannot be in the penalty area until the ball has cleared the pa. Players from the team taking the goal kick can be in the penalty area at any time, but cannot play the ball until it has exited the penalty area. There's no restriction on where they can start.

The rule was changed as teams were wasting time by stepping into the pa and playing the ball, forcing a retake of the goal kick. Also many opposing players didn't realize they couldn't cut across the corner to close down when the ball was played short to the side of the pa - that would also force a retake of the goal kick. This change eliminates that, and though the final wording isn't out, I'd be shocked if the requirement that opponent's stay out of of the pa doesn't remain.

Sorry for the confusion. Should have been more precise. Was talking the revision, not the current rule. From the Spanish/Spain broadcast I was listening to last night, it appears that the rule is that the team not in possession must leave the PA, the ball no longer needs to clear the PA, the team with the ball in possession can be in the PA, but the nonpossessing team gets to reenter the PA as soon as it is kicked by the goalkeeper (or other kicking player). So in practice it would work a little bit like the kick off does now, and sort of like the build out line or a line of scrimmage in gridiron football. And as you correctly state, the public has not seen the final wording so who knows how it ends up.

For the "send it" youth teams what you will likely see is the goalkeeper tapping it to the big legged defender who waits to draw in the opposing forwards, and then "sends it" which is why the Development Initiative probably now has a dilemma on their hands.

Sorry for the confusion. Should have been more precise. Was talking the revision, not the current rule. From the Spanish/Spain broadcast I was listening to last night, it appears that the rule is that the team not in possession must leave the PA, the ball no longer needs to clear the PA, the team with the ball in possession can be in the PA, but the nonpossessing team gets to reenter the PA as soon as it is kicked by the goalkeeper (or other kicking player). So in practice it would work a little bit like the kick off does now, and sort of like the build out line or a line of scrimmage in gridiron football. And as you correctly state, the public has not seen the final wording so who knows how it ends up.

For the "send it" youth teams what you will likely see is the goalkeeper tapping it to the big legged defender who waits to draw in the opposing forwards, and then "sends it" which is why the Development Initiative probably now has a dilemma on their hands.
Yes, I think it will work just like any free kick, where opponents are required to be 10 yards away - just a little bit further to outside the pa.

To be honest, I don't see much of an impact. Send it teams will just send it anyway. Teams that want to play short will have a 2 v 1 early on and with better angles. Players won't be trapped along the touchline. But we'll see...

From US Soccer:

The changes outlined below will be on exhibition at the 2019 SheBelieves Cup and will be amongst other possible changes up for ratification on March 2.

• A player being substituted must leave the field of play at the nearest point on the boundary line.
  • Yellow and red cards for misconduct can be issued to team officials.
  • On a goal kick and a free kick for the defending team in their own penalty area, the ball is in play as soon as the kick is taken so a player – or opponent as long as they started outside the penalty or were not given the proper time to exit the penalty – can play the ball before it leaves the penalty area.

From IFAB (3/2/2019):
133rd Annual General Meeting of The IFAB: sensible changes to make the game better

• On the topic of defining handball, a decision was taken by The IFAB to provide a more precise and detailed definition for what constitutes handball, in particular with regard to the occasions when a non-deliberate/accidental handball will be penalised. For example a goal scored directly from the hand/arm (even if accidental) and a player scoring or creating a goal-scoring opportunity after having gained possession/control of the ball from their hand/arm (even if accidental) will no longer be allowed.

• the AGM also approved changes to the Laws of the Game related to a player being substituted having to leave the field of play at the nearest boundary line, yellow and red cards for misconduct by team officials and the ball not having to leave the penalty area at goal kicks and defending team free kicks in the penalty area.

• Additional approved Law changes included: measures to deal with attacking players causing problems in the defensive ‘wall’, changing the dropped ball procedure, giving a dropped ball in certain situations when the ball hits the referee and the goalkeeper only being required to have one foot on the line at a penalty kick.

So cal has the worst referees. Its funny how they think the know the laws of the game! Calsouth needs to improve referee education.

Back