Cal South, phases 0 through 2, permits, and 2021

Yes, clearly masks and distancing don't work. That's why Japan is struggling. That's why Europe is still struggling. That's why we are the only rich nation that is still struggling.

Covid is worse than the flu death wise when not contained, but more importantly, it's more debilitating to those who get a bad case and don't die. Have you ever met someone who had the flu and years later is still dealing with side effects from that flu? There are hundreds of thousands of people with Covid for whom that is true. And because 75 million people in our country are considered high risk due to pre-existing conditions and many millions more are at risk due to age, there is no plan for opening that won't seriously harm millions on top of those who will needlessly die.

We all love soccer. We all want our kids in school and playing games. Some of us believe in science and experts. Some of us/you don't. Some of us care about others, some don't.

“years later”? WTH? Covid has only existed for 8 months...... Talk about fear mongering.....

Well I can read:

"Most people with coronavirus who have symptoms will no longer be contagious by 10 days after symptoms resolve."

...and I can do math:

"The time from exposure to symptom onset (known as the incubation period) is thought to be three to 14 days, though symptoms typically appear within four or five days after exposure."

Add that up and you get a month? That doesn't take an epidemiologist.
And where did you study for math in college Dr?

Don't forget - 99% of these government leaders are not risk takers, they are not entrepreneurs, they rely on groupthink. That will always be reflected in their decisions. They would never make it in a private sector, creative, competition-based work environment. And they know it.
That is a pretty big generalization. What do you base your statistics on, please state your source.

Well I can read:

"Most people with coronavirus who have symptoms will no longer be contagious by 10 days after symptoms resolve."

...and I can do math:

"The time from exposure to symptom onset (known as the incubation period) is thought to be three to 14 days, though symptoms typically appear within four or five days after exposure."

Add that up and you get a month? That doesn't take an epidemiologist.
Chinese lockdowns haven't eliminated it there. What makes you think the US can implement a better lockdown than the Chinese government? They are kinda good at it and the incentive to listen is great as they have consistently demonstrated that if you disagree, your life doesn't matter. This all leads me to believe that the virus can't read or do math either - or, maybe, we don't understand the virus as well as some believe we do.

“years later”? WTH? Covid has only existed for 8 months...... Talk about fear mongering.....
What up dad? Can you believe this sh*t now? These people don;t even want their kid playing soccer, yet they come on here like activists. I swear I just want my dd to play soccer. Most of the one's I called out long ago for controlling the GDA and college deals and, 25% starts. I saw this all way before. Selfish folks who want the cake and the ice cream all to themselves. However, if they can't even have cake, they will poison the cake with fear and scare everyone the cake will kill you now unless you get a cake vaccine. You get the point. I will have my wife's masters degree teach my dd now. My dd is finally over that 13-15 age and is now becoming a very strong woman and is super independent. Surf in the morning, class with mom, then surf some more. Look for private coach like a Doug and get ready for scrimmages. Let's let the girls have a nice summer and get ready to battle some exhibitions. My dd needs a four weeks heads up before she plays a game. Soccer right now should only be played by the risk takers.

And where did you study for math in college Dr?

So, okay, besides you not really adding anything to the conversation, I don't understand your point. Are you saying we need to be quarantined for more than a month entirely to completely eradicate the virus? The point is to eliminate the virus so we can get to phase 3 of Cal South's guidelines of return to play-- you know, the title of the thread. How do we get there short of a vaccine?

So, okay, besides you not really adding anything to the conversation, I don't understand your point. Are you saying we need to be quarantined for more than a month entirely to completely eradicate the virus? The point is to eliminate the virus so we can get to phase 3 of Cal South's guidelines of return to play-- you know, the title of the thread. How do we get there short of a vaccine?
You will not eliminate the virus - it's here to stay. So learn to deal with it instead of hiding from it.

Soccer right now should only be played by the risk takers.

Risk isn't a yes or no thing - every time my kid steps out on the field they take risk of injury. Driving to the field incurs risk. What you're asking people to do is to raise the level of risk that they're willing to accept in order to get on the field. That may be fine for you, but for those who hold the keys to really playing -- the insurance agencies and lawyers -- the level of risk with a still-mostly-unknown virus is too great right now.

Maybe as we learn more about its spread, we will be able to manage the liability down to a "sign this concussion and covid waiver" but right now that's simply not realistic. We have to give it some time.

How have Germany, Taiwan, Korea, Canada etc done it?

Its not magic. It's a national effort to try and curb the spread.

Meanwhile Americans are still arguing if masks work.

Chinese lockdowns haven't eliminated it there. What makes you think the US can implement a better lockdown than the Chinese government? They are kinda good at it and the incentive to listen is great as they have consistently demonstrated that if you disagree, your life doesn't matter. This all leads me to believe that the virus can't read or do math either - or, maybe, we don't understand the virus as well as some believe we do.

That's a great question - I think it's safe to say that the official numbers reported of 85k people infected total in China is probably not accurate. So let's take a better example of Italy, which was hit really hard really early. They have, for the most part, managed to stop the spread -- they're averaging roughly 150 new cases per day in a country with 60m people. IMO that's about as well as you could expect a western country to be able to do. So let's try our hardest to get to there -- let's get the good ol' USA to 900 new cases per day (the same number of cases per population that Italy has right now). How do we get to that low number?

Step one in "learning to deal with it" is wearing your mask and stopping gathering.

If you aren't doing that much, you haven't learned jack.
I'm doing my part. Not sure about all those protests - I'm positive they have nothing to do with the rate of current increase in cases.

How have Germany, Taiwan, Korea, Canada etc done it?

Its not magic. It's a national effort to try and curb the spread.

Meanwhile Americans are still arguing if masks work.

It's not a platitutde either. Take each case. Taiwan shut down early...had great testing....they don't have a border to be concerned with....and they didn't believe the WHO or China when they said there was no problem so were able to contain the thing before it really got going. Germany has test that is not always free and which can be much harder to get than La County (you basically have to have symptoms or been contact traced)....Germany still has a rolling outbreak in its East which they haven't been able to contain....their mask usage is about on par with ours...and they basically got lucky in that they timed their lockdowns perfectly. South Korea almost got the thing under control....they forcibly remove you from your home if you are quarantined and have family there....they got unlucky with a few outbreaks and are now dealing with new outbreaks they haven't been able to completely smash. Canada has also burned through its wave and I suspect might now be in the ideal weather conditions to supress the thing (with southern states being too hot having a bad pull from aircon and lack of Vitamin D from too many people being indoors). Norway and Finland have had similar results and they don't mandate masks either. Japan has had better results in part because of masks but the masks haven't been enough to contain the outbreaks there either...they help but aren't a magic bullet. New York similarly has burned through its initial wave.

So what's going on in the US? Masks.....yeah but we also don't have adequate masks....the bandanas surgical masks and some cloth masks probably aren't optimal. The border is definately contributing some....our worst outbreaks are on the border. Lockdowns released too early? Well, Europe got back to work and school much more robustly, with shorter lockdowns than Los Angeles had. More likely the timing of the lockdowns: locking down somewhere where there isn't an outbreak likely just pushes the outbreak later. The protests? Yeah I think that had something to do with it but more indirectly than directly....by convincing young people they should just go out and not worry about things.

Oh well, guess I gotta start to pack......

I'm saying if teachers dont teach who can, then we all need to stay home. Catch my drift?

Risk isn't a yes or no thing - every time my kid steps out on the field they take risk of injury. Driving to the field incurs risk. What you're asking people to do is to raise the level of risk that they're willing to accept in order to get on the field. That may be fine for you, but for those who hold the keys to really playing -- the insurance agencies and lawyers -- the level of risk with a still-mostly-unknown virus is too great right now.

Maybe as we learn more about its spread, we will be able to manage the liability down to a "sign this concussion and covid waiver" but right now that's simply not realistic. We have to give it some time.
BS!!! Yes or No. You want to explore the western frontier or stay back where it's safe? Time to live life. Go away and stay home dude. We just want our dd to exercise. Why are you here? Buzz off!!!

BS!!! Yes or No. You want to explore the western frontier or stay back where it's safe? Time to live life. Go away and stay home dude. We just want our dd to exercise. Why are you here? Buzz off!!!

You aren't being rational. Take a deep breath and please try again. Cases are not going to go down until we all take some shared responsibility. The only way to get to phase 3 of Cal South's guidelines, as far as I can tell, is for us to lower the number of cases, not "explore the western frontier". If there was some magic incantation to get to phase 3, without just posting and adding on more exclamation points, don't you think that every single club in the southland would be doing it right now? Don't you think your kid would be getting very specific instructions from her club about what her responsibility is in reducing the number of cases?

That's why I created this thread and it's very clear that nobody has the answer of how we get to phase 3 of the return to play guidelines without throwing out platitudes of "living life" or somesuch. I would love love love to be proven wrong; someone please show me the specific steps that get us back to playing more than scrimmages.

That's a great question - I think it's safe to say that the official numbers reported of 85k people infected total in China is probably not accurate. So let's take a better example of Italy, which was hit really hard really early. They have, for the most part, managed to stop the spread -- they're averaging roughly 150 new cases per day in a country with 60m people. IMO that's about as well as you could expect a western country to be able to do. So let's try our hardest to get to there -- let's get the good ol' USA to 900 new cases per day (the same number of cases per population that Italy has right now). How do we get to that low number?
My thoughts - Once the virus gets established in a region, short of draconian shutdown that just won't happen in the US, we can only mitigate the virus' reach. Yes, masks and distancing helps, but the virus will run its course. NYC and Cali likely had 100's, maybe 1000's of infections before they knew what was happening. Once that happens, it's just mitigation at best, NYC at worst. Hawaii caught it early enough and has largely avoided any impact.

The other thing that I believe is getting underplayed is the effect weather has on the virus spread. AZ, FL, TX and SoCal are rising now and they all pretty much have to be inside in the AC to survive. If you look at Oregon from the beginning it has no weeks over the expected deaths. Washington state, one of the first places the virus was identified, has only a few weeks slightly over the threshold. Are they really that much better at containing the virus than NYC (below) or even a few of the surrounding states to NYC that were also hit hard? To me, that indicates significant other factors outside of our control.

1594337389738.png

You aren't being rational. Take a deep breath and please try again. Cases are not going to go down until we all take some shared responsibility. The only way to get to phase 3 of Cal South's guidelines, as far as I can tell, is for us to lower the number of cases, not "explore the western frontier". If there was some magic incantation to get to phase 3, without just posting and adding on more exclamation points, don't you think that every single club in the southland would be doing it right now? Don't you think your kid would be getting very specific instructions from her club about what her responsibility is in reducing the number of cases?

That's why I created this thread and it's very clear that nobody has the answer of how we get to phase 3 of the return to play guidelines without throwing out platitudes of "living life" or somesuch. I would love love love to be proven wrong; someone please show me the specific steps that get us back to playing more than scrimmages.

Back to step 0-1. Restart after youth sports guidance is issued.

Cal South needs to rethink since camps where never meant to be used for youth sports drills or practice according to the pubic state heath office. Need to wait until youth sports guidance is issued.

Back