CA college athletes can now get paid$$

How much is a college education worth?

This is actually a deeper question than you think - it really depends on major and what career choice the student decides on. But if you’re referring to the value of the scholarship an athlete receives - a quick google search says on avg a student athlete gets $10k in tuition/room/board. I don’t know if that’s total or per year. But let’s say it’s per year. Given student athletes put in 20hrs/week on avg over the entire year that’s less than $10/hr they’re “earning” for the time put in.

This is actually a deeper question than you think - it really depends on major and what career choice the student decides on. But if you’re referring to the value of the scholarship an athlete receives - a quick google search says on avg a student athlete gets $10k in tuition/room/board. I don’t know if that’s total or per year. But let’s say it’s per year. Given student athletes put in 20hrs/week on avg over the entire year that’s less than $10/hr they’re “earning” for the time put in.
I would assume that the major D1 schools’ scholarships are worth $50K per year easy. Not nearly enough when the shirts and video games etc are sold, if you’re Zion or someone like that.

I would assume that the major D1 schools’ scholarships are worth $50K per year easy. Not nearly enough when the shirts and video games etc are sold, if you’re Zion or someone like that.

That's if you're getting a full ride. For most athletes it doesn't sound like it's even close to that much. I have no problem with schools making money off it's players - it doesn't matter how much - that's how the world works. Companies hire employees because employees enable the company to generate significant revenue - they deliver a positive ROI. The problem is when the schools/NCAA won't allow kids to make their own deals, create their own brands, launch their own businesses, etc... This is anti-competitive and in many ways unfair to the athletes.

That SAID.... I can also see why this is very troubling for the NCAA and could put college sports at risk altogether - it has less to do with not wanting to help the athletes or thinking they deserve it.

The biggest "issue" I see is when it comes to recruiting and I think this is why the NCAA is so concerned - the bigger schools will likely have boosters willing to pay top dollar offering high paying "jobs" to lure players. As a result, this will give those schools a huge advantage in terms of talent and now you've got teams where the players are essentially professionally paid athletes playing against teams with players who aren't. It could potentially destroy the league altogether if the games become non-competitive and there's a perceived non-level recruiting playing field. This is why the NFL/NBA/MLB drafts are largely based on previous season performance - prioritizing losing teams, salary caps, etc... and also why the NCAA regulates recruiting so heavily - it benefits the league and players to have competitive games and at least some semblance of recruiting fairness, because without it, the interest quickly declines and the audience (which is where the real money - eyeballs watching/fans) would shrink dramatically. Watching pro athletes play against gifted high school athletes is only fun for so long... Unless there's some equal structure as to how much college athletes get paid and recruited - just the idea of unfairness is enough for a significant portion of the audience to lose interest in the games altogether - without the audience and interest, all the revenue goes away, not just for the NCAA, but for the school and the player.

I think the biggest challenge in all this will be figuring out how the NCAA is going maintain a level playing field when it comes to recruiting. If they don't, Gavin Newsom may have just single-handedly destroyed college sports.

That's if you're getting a full ride. For most athletes it doesn't sound like it's even close to that much. I have no problem with schools making money off it's players - it doesn't matter how much - that's how the world works. Companies hire employees because employees enable the company to generate significant revenue - they deliver a positive ROI. The problem is when the schools/NCAA won't allow kids to make their own deals, create their own brands, launch their own businesses, etc... This is anti-competitive and in many ways unfair to the athletes.

That SAID.... I can also see why this is very troubling for the NCAA and could put college sports at risk altogether - it has less to do with not wanting to help the athletes or thinking they deserve it.

The biggest "issue" I see is when it comes to recruiting and I think this is why the NCAA is so concerned - the bigger schools will likely have boosters willing to pay top dollar offering high paying "jobs" to lure players. As a result, this will give those schools a huge advantage in terms of talent and now you've got teams where the players are essentially professionally paid athletes playing against teams with players who aren't. It could potentially destroy the league altogether if the games become non-competitive and there's a perceived non-level recruiting playing field. This is why the NFL/NBA/MLB drafts are largely based on previous season performance - prioritizing losing teams, salary caps, etc... and also why the NCAA regulates recruiting so heavily - it benefits the league and players to have competitive games and at least some semblance of recruiting fairness, because without it, the interest quickly declines and the audience (which is where the real money - eyeballs watching/fans) would shrink dramatically. Watching pro athletes play against gifted high school athletes is only fun for so long... Unless there's some equal structure as to how much college athletes get paid and recruited - just the idea of unfairness is enough for a significant portion of the audience to lose interest in the games altogether - without the audience and interest, all the revenue goes away, not just for the NCAA, but for the school and the player.

I think the biggest challenge in all this will be figuring out how the NCAA is going maintain a level playing field when it comes to recruiting. If they don't, Gavin Newsom may have just single-handedly destroyed college sports.

The schools that will have a big advantage with this are those that are already doing it illegally.

Except that if it wasn't for football or hoop, most of them wouldn't be attending college or getting it for free. They did receive compensation... it's called tuition, books, rent, meal cards, preferential class placement, free tutoring. There's a dollar value on that. And don't tell me most of them would have been accepted any other way. And if they get hurt? OH FUCKING WELL. At least they're enrolled in college and many will receive their full scholarship. Yeah... they won't make millions running or bouncing a ball, but welcome to the real world. Get a job.
Except that for basketball and football, they can't go pro unless they play in college and the dollar value of their scholarship does not come close to the revenue they bring in.

they should have gone pro. If there is no league, then create one. If the league is unsuccessful, like lavar ball’s, then they don’t generate enough money. Pretty simple.
Is this a serious suggestion? Work for no money or start your own league?

My point here is that if you do work that generates revenue, you should be compensated for it.

Not as much as it used to be.

I have no problem deducting a kid's scholarship from their compensation, sure, but when a kid brings in more money than the $50k they get, they should make a portion of that money.

Not always true - do you bring in more revenue/value for your employer than they pay you? Most likely you do. If not, your employer is probably looking to get rid of you - unless it's gov.

Have you heard him speak? He’s clearly way more intelligent than you. Leave your own jealousy and insecurity out of it and you may see things more clearly.
I have to agree with Messy here Outlaw. Zion's story is super inspiring. I got pissed when I played local HS Hoops in OC when guys like Tom Lewis bolted their local HS Team for Mater Dei to make a super team. Zion stayed at his smaller prep charter school to play with his friends he grew up with. Had many "offers" to switch HS to play big time HS Hoops. Fantastic human too. Go Zion!!!

Not always true
Correct. Not always true. But when it is true - and it is for most of the Basketball and Football players at the big programs and even some unlikely others: many of my daughter's gymnastics friends have been going to UCLA meets to watch Katelyn Ohashi. That's entirely due to her, not the program - they should get paid.

Baseball players can turn pro out of high school. What other sports pay enough to make a living?
I'm not sure I'm getting your point. Hockey players can go pro out of HS too. Tennis, golf, soccer and baseball all have to make this choice. It's only basketball and football that aren't allowed to.

Have you heard him speak? He’s clearly way more intelligent than you. Leave your own jealousy and insecurity out of it and you may see things more clearly.

Yes, I've heard him speak. And you judging anyone's intelligence is laughable. Any dolt that uses "way more" should be taken out behind the barn and dealt with.

I have to agree with Messy here Outlaw. Zion's story is super inspiring. I got pissed when I played local HS Hoops in OC when guys like Tom Lewis bolted their local HS Team for Mater Dei to make a super team. Zion stayed at his smaller prep charter school to play with his friends he grew up with. Had many "offers" to switch HS to play big time HS Hoops. Fantastic human too. Go Zion!!!

'Fantastic human' on the take. Have you already forgotten the freebies he asked recruiters for? Or do you think recruiters make that shit up?

I'm not sure I'm getting your point. Hockey players can go pro out of HS too. Tennis, golf, soccer and baseball all have to make this choice. It's only basketball and football that aren't allowed to.

Why are you saying basketball players can't turn pro out of high school? And let's not pretend a 1-and-done at Duke or North Carolina qualifies as 'going to college'.

Now now, Outlaw...you're way more angry than I've seen you in awhile. Didn't you get any cock this weekend?

Do you think it's appropriate to make jokes like this? Real funny, dude. What is wrong with you?
My bad. I carried some “off-topic” hostilities (his homophobic attack on my preferred presidential candidate) into an inappropriate arena. Sorry.

Back