Build out line

You say there's no benefit with BOL and that kickball is even worse...yet offer up no alternative solutions. Forcing youngers to play out of the back is a great way to get away from horrible kickball games that we know the youngers can devolve into quickly if the BOL rule did not exist. Most U-10 teams (and younger) do not know how to play out of the back effectively...and that's OK. It's a learning process that takes years to develop and the BOL is helping them to think of basic passing/spacing concepts at an earlier age.

If we want to improve as a soccer nation then we have to get away from the immediate gratification impulse and understand that it takes time for soccer players to develop. Enjoy those moments when your team is stringing together 2, 3 or 4 passes together. I would rather see our team making an effort to pass and lose than playing kick ball/high pressure and getting a win.

As I stated before, a better solution is to educate coaches on building out the back (specifically make coach training more readily accessible and cost friendly) instead of legislating changes to how the game is played. I'm not inherently opposed to the BOL; however, its "cost" of changing and slowing down the game is not worth the limited "benefit" it provides which for the most part is only temporary. BOTB requires players to be able to make quick decisions while under pressure, as opposed to stopping the game and moving everyone up field so little Johnny can get an uncontested pass. I get it, teaching BOTB is a disaster when youngers are first learning and drives uneducated parents crazy when their kids give up 5 goals trying to pass out the back. However, what's the point of delaying the inevitable for a few years? To me the BOL is just a crutch and are like training wheels on a bike, it gives people comfort but actually delays the learning of the skill. My other recommendation is futsal, while not apples to oranges, it does provide a good foundation for playing out the back.

Nah - look at it like the youngest ages of youth basketball. Most leagues don't allow teams to play a zone defense. It's too easy to pack the paint and try to force little Johnny to hit 15 footers. Making them play man allows for better chances to get open and to shoot a layup or a 7 foot shot without having 5 defenders hanging all over you.

I did five games of 7v7 at Blues cup, and most of the teams have figured it out and it doesn't slow down the game at all. the defenders back out, sometimes with my help in telling them to, and the attacking goalies had it figured out too. they had their heads up seeing the field and figuring out where to go. it doesn't always work out, but when it does, it's really cool. some teams had a couple of set plays with players positioned to make passes. it is what it is. and it works just fine. in a few years, it will be the norm and this discussion will be over.

I did five games of 7v7 at Blues cup, and most of the teams have figured it out and it doesn't slow down the game at all. the defenders back out, sometimes with my help in telling them to, and the attacking goalies had it figured out too. they had their heads up seeing the field and figuring out where to go. it doesn't always work out, but when it does, it's really cool. some teams had a couple of set plays with players positioned to make passes. it is what it is. and it works just fine. in a few years, it will be the norm and this discussion will be over.

I appreciate your perspective and I have no doubts that it will be the new norm. If goalies are playing heads up that's a positive. I just feel we would have more substantive and long term returns if coaches were educated and learned the importance of BOTB as opposed to be forced to do it (through changes to the "Laws") with youngers for a few years.

Back