Boys DA rumors

boomer

SILVER
Rumors coming out of multiple camps today...

Single age group for BU16 coming for the 2019/2020 season
Doing away with BU12 & BU13 after the 2019/2020 season (current players not effected)

Anyone able to shed some light?

Question: any insights on what would happen with the u12 thru u14 only clubs? I can infer but figure i’d Ask. Some impact to SoCal but lots of impact to groups like washington

Question: any insights on what would happen with the u12 thru u14 only clubs? I can infer but figure i’d Ask. Some impact to SoCal but lots of impact to groups like washington
Good question with an answer TBD once that dust settles, assuming these rumors are true. Changes their realities for sure. My take, some may try to graduate with their players to the older age groups I suppose. But those that don't, you'd think most were pretty successful clubs prior to being awarded DA status at the younger age groups and will continue to be successful afterwards.

I think is smart to do away with u12 for sure. Having an 06 son that played the DA u12 9v9 I didnt a big advantage and playing the same 7 teams 3 times and no tourneys or state cup some kids get bored plus one ref at every game didnt help

2019/20 age group discussion for possible da realignment groups:

BU14 / 06
BU15 / 05
BU16 / 04
BU17 / 03
BU18/19 02 & 01'

Will know soon when the apps come but single age groups has been discussed every years past 3 for the olders so maybe this time?

Staying with 5 age groups is same $$ so I could see the short sided ages going away since DA traditional been 11v11.

Rumors coming out of multiple camps today...

Single age group for BU16 coming for the 2019/2020 season
Doing away with BU12 & BU13 after the 2019/2020 season (current players not effected)

Anyone able to shed some light?

Can you elaborate on what camps?

BU14 / 06
BU15 / 05
BU16 / 04
BU17 / 03
BU18/19 02 & 01'

Will know soon when the apps come but single age groups has been discussed every years past 3 for the olders so maybe this time?

Staying with 5 age groups is same $$ so I could see the short sided ages going away since DA traditional been 11v11.
Splitting the 16s and 17s is the right call. Hope they do it. Too many 2003s on the sidelines this year.

Hopefully, all groups will get an opportunity to play for a National Championship. Can they take a break to play for their high school as well? Unless DA is going to be like Harvard of course.

Hopefully, all groups will get an opportunity to play for a National Championship. Can they take a break to play for their high school as well? Unless DA is going to be like Harvard of course.

DA has there own playoffs & championship for the older age groups but you have to finish top 3-4 in the division to qualify unless you get a wild card.
http://www.ussoccerda.com/sam/standings/league/

HS not currently unless you apply & get a waiver before season starts. Few players do this. There is normally a break to fit in HS play but this year some overlap so while hopefully HS can be fit in future years but kind of doubtful da is going to reserve course on this one.

BU14 / 06
BU15 / 05
BU16 / 04
BU17 / 03
BU18/19 02 & 01'

I agree with doing away with the U12s, but if these are the '19/20 brackets, what happens to the 07s (the current U12s)?

Also, does this mean that LAFC and Galaxy's youngers (U12 / U13) will play in Coast or SCDSL? Talk about uneven competition.

I’ve heard a someone whom I would personally assume to be highly informed (I don’t have his/her permission to name) say they have heard this as planned and that they anticipate they will do away with the u-12s next year, allowing the 07s to progress. Then do away with the u-13s, the following year.
The impression I got was the end of the u-12/13s is coming definitively, just not clear how to not penalize the 07s.

If that is the case then is a smart move in my opinion get rid of u12 and 13s and separate the 16s and 17s
The same clubs that are dominating in the younger ages will continue to dominate
Difference will be no DA patch

playing devil's advocate on this change.

statistically, the biggest size advantage between early developers/Jan-Mar birthdays and late developers/Oct-Dec birthdays starts in the u13 age group and then is most pronounced in u14.

having the u12 enables, in theory, us soccer to ID kids with solid skills/ability early, wait out the big growth spurt at u13 and u14, and then see how the high performing u12 late developers/late birthdays do at u15.

This is assuming that US soccer has it together enough to actively track progress by player over time.

If academy is to start at u14 then there's a whole set of players who seem they like they would go by the wayside due to age-related size disadvantage.

Plus, there's a large number of feeder academy clubs with u12 thru u14 academy teams that would probably find it hard to continue to recruit players/families into an academy track - given the $, time and energy required - without the academy brand formally attached.

And there's a number of academy u12 teams that have actively been including 08's this year. what happens with those boys? You could argue that they continue w/ the 07s but the age difference/size difference/developmental difference will kick in next year.

@Kante
I agree. I have mixed emotions. These are personal to my experience and may not relate to others:
Pros:
1. Playing u-12 DA took the pressure off winning and results.
2. Allowed clubs to create a large pool and shake it to see the top that develop into the u-13 team.
3. Players under contract for 10 months reduced team shakeup and fear of losing spot/teammates bailing.

Cons:
1. Tournaments can be fun for the family and player.
2. Some teams could not field comparable quality due to so many u-12 teams.
3. 08 and 09 parents won’t be able to brag around the water cooler.

And there's a number of academy u12 teams that have actively been including 08's this year. what happens with those boys? .
I’m under the impression that the 08s will be the ones most impacted and that the 07s will be grandfathered in and the door closing behind them.

I have seen coaching changes at u12 DA
Because the results have not been there even though a team has improved as a whole but had more losses than wins so winning does matter
To most just they say the opposite. I don’t think u12 -14 clubs will be impacted negatively in those ages .TFA is a perfect example a lot people choose them before before the mls academies right now

Ussda is changing again /w a plan to go back to u13/14 as the beginning group making sense from a $$$ cost & uniformity standpoint. The shorter fields and u12/u13 rules go away and clubs don't have to find and pay for two different sized fields, lots of high Schools won't let you mark there turf fields for example.

Since there is no ynt for those ages anyway ussda sees these ages as a nice to have luxury but not really essential. Meanwhile da sees older players walk away each year in the combo groups so they have decided to make some changes.

U13 / 2007 could go on for 19-20' or they could be a u13/14 combo group like what was done for years but changes are coming either way, just a matter of what/when? Apps come out shortly so will know soon.

Back