Blowouts!!

Panenka

SILVER
How many goals or differential is enough to satisfy a coach's Ego??

Can someone give their opinion as to why this is done ? Csl boys 05 this weekend a score of 19-2
A few weeks back a csl girls thirty something.
Yesterday a team from scsdls takes advantage of a team with no substitutes
8-0

Everyone has their own opinion on how many goals is too many. I have seen teams keep scoring and not let up until the final whistle and other teams back off when up by 6 goals. It all depends on the coach and players. Personally, I think that being ahead by 6 goals is sufficient.

As a referee, when a team runs the score up I have to be even closer to play and inject myself more into the game. A lot of times the team getting beat up on becomes frustrated and will start to commit reckless and dangerous fouls.

Yesterday a team from scsdls takes advantage of a team with no substitutes
8-0

1. Was the losing team complaining or was it obvious the kids were upset? I ask because sometimes they don't care as much as the parents do.

2. If each game is a development opportunity, does the score matter as much as what the kids are getting out of trying to overcome the challenge?

I see these "Blowout" threads constantly, I'm guessing the parents writing them are more upset than their child was. I know at times, my kids seem way less concerned when they lose than I am. Obviously sometimes they can take it hard.

1. Was the losing team complaining or was it obvious the kids were upset? I ask because sometimes they don't care as much as the parents do.

2. If each game is a development opportunity, does the score matter as much as what the kids are getting out of trying to overcome the challenge?

I see these "Blowout" threads constantly, I'm guessing the parents writing them are more upset than their child was. I know at times, my kids seem way less concerned when they lose than I am. Obviously sometimes they can take it hard.
anything over 7 goals is only developing the ego.
players do get upset they just show it differently some get angry some laugh it out. regardless they do get frustrated . If the other team is that good and you want to develop then take 1 or 2 players out, do some rondos challenge your team. Dont humiliate the other team they are still kids

At ulittles if we were well ahead, the coach would move the goalie and defenders into attacking positions and strikers back to defense. Then institute passing rules such as 10 consecutive passes before anyone can take a shot. It's kind of a no win situation because essentially playing keep away can be just as humiliating as a lopsided score line.

anything over 7 goals is only developing the ego.
players do get upset they just show it differently some get angry some laugh it out. regardless they do get frustrated . If the other team is that good and you want to develop then take 1 or 2 players out, do some rondos challenge your team. Dont humiliate the other team they are still kids

I agree, it looks like it was a lower ranked team beating up on the last place team too. SCDSL should probably build some guidance into their rules for blowouts.

This conversation comes up every year, probably multiple times a year. Immediately, people want to blame it on the coach of the team that was scoring all the goals. My DD's team was up 6-0 on a team last year at half. The coach changed everyone's position, changed the formation, said that everyone had to touch the ball before scoring, and the ball had to start with the goalie. If the other team touched the ball, it had to go all the way back to start over. The final was 11-0.

All I'm trying to say is that it isn't always the coach's fault. And doesn't mean that the coach has an ego. Most coaches, and parents I know would rather not play a game like this. It does nothing for their team. Does it even develop the other team? My guess is no.

Back