Bigger, faster, stronger........

I watched the UCSB vs CPSLO mens college game. Could not believe how physical the game was. Players getting grabbed with both arms, knocked down, kicked, tripped, most of it being allowed, with nothing in the box being called at all. Even the women's game allows a lot of grabbing, pushing, bumping.

I watched the UCSB vs CPSLO mens college game. Could not believe how physical the game was. Players getting grabbed with both arms, knocked down, kicked, tripped, most of it being allowed, with nothing in the box being called at all. Even the women's game allows a lot of grabbing, pushing, bumping.

The refereeing in that game was horrible. Spectators should have demanded their money back, since admission to UCSB's rugby games is free.

Having watched most of my DD college games these past two years, some of the worst refereeing I have seen has been at the college level. I have refereed with a good number of these San Diego college referees and they call a much better game when working youth club, High School, and adult leagues. In the college game it seems like the referees do not use cards properly (meaning too little use) and most swallow their whistles. The college game in my opinion is far to physical causing senseless injuries. I stopped worked college games a number of years ago, so I am not sure what they are teaching the referees now. I have also noticed a good number of college referees that should not be out on the college field because they are too old and slow to keep up with play which causes them to miss many fouls and misconduct because they are way out of position and too far away. Most of these referees would have trouble keeping up with a G/BU14 game. They were all really good referees at one time, but they are evidently too vain to realize they cannot keep up with the older players and that they need to move down and work U-little games. The college referee association should weed out these older and slower referees. There are more than enough good young referees to take their place.

Back