Big pond, little fish?

maestroFRSM

SILVER
Question:

From a development standpoint, is it better to be on a so-so team, and play lots of game minutes, or play less but on a top-notch team?

Assume, both teams with great coaches, and both youngers flight 1 (top teams for age).

Easy answer seems to play more minutes, but does competing/practicing constantly with better players make for better development?

Assuming coaches are both good.....Hugely depends on age....if younger pick minutes....if older then pick top notch team....but if kid is really struggling at a certain level then swallow your ego and put them on an environment where they can have fun and succeed.....

Question:

From a development standpoint, is it better to be on a so-so team, and play lots of game minutes, or play less but on a top-notch team?

Assume, both teams with great coaches, and both youngers flight 1 (top teams for age).

Easy answer seems to play more minutes, but does competing/practicing constantly with better players make for better development?

Find a team where your player is the weakest starter. Lots of playing time and lessons to be learned from playing with stronger players.

I think it really depends on the kid and to some extent timing. Also the benefits of one situation are not mutually exclusive of the benefits of another situation. How's that for a non-answer?

Being a big-fish can give kids the confidence to excel and be a leader. Being a small-fish can give you the motivation to step up your game to compete with the bigger fish. I think if your small fish feels like he/she is contributing and valued member of the team, and not worried about making mistakes and getting the "hook", then that situation can work. If your big fish is discouraged by losing and/or the quality of his teammates, then maybe that's not the best situation.

Be thankful you have a good coach in either situation.

My take on this is that you want your kid on the highest-level team where they can keep their confidence up. My son has played on teams that were pretty far above his level, but the coach and the environment was positive enough that he rose to the challenge. And he has played on teams that were closer to his level (he was probably right in the middle), but the environment was toxic and his confidence took a dive. The bump you get practicing with higher-level kids can get totally canceled out by loosing the love for going to practice. If the level of the team is too low, being the "star" can be a short-term boost, but eventually, when they start loosing and there's nothing your player can do about it, the confidence takes a hit again.

Back