Benefits of Playing Local - MSA GA Document

Fascinating document that Murrieta Soccer Academy has published about their GA program but what caught my eye is these slides.
Reasons why players should play local. We all think it but they have gone and put it out there. The club obviously really want to bring all the best talent back into the Valley
(Yes my daughter plays here and we are so impressed with them since moving) -
Full Document - https://murrietasocceracademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/GA-Guide.pdf

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    691.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 2.png
    2.png
    664.7 KB · Views: 138
Fascinating document that Murrieta Soccer Academy has published about their GA program but what caught my eye is these slides.
Reasons why players should play local. We all think it but they have gone and put it out there. The club obviously really want to bring all the best talent back into the Valley
(Yes my daughter plays here and we are so impressed with them since moving) -
Full Document - https://murrietasocceracademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/GA-Guide.pdf
Completely agree but they should also join a local league that allows time to play more and spend more time with family on the weekend.

Emma, it seems everyone should operate the way that works for you. It doesn't work that way for everyone. Choose the team, club, and league that works for you. In the meantime, do not try to hold the rest of our kids back by fitting into your box.

Emma, it seems everyone should operate the way that works for you. It doesn't work that way for everyone. Choose the team, club, and league that works for you. In the meantime, do not try to hold the rest of our kids back by fitting into your box.
We are throwing around ideas on a board with our own opinion. I haven't made anyone operate the way I'd like them to. If I could wave a wand and make it happen, I would. But for now, if the clubs and NCAA is looking at some of these posts, they may find ways to better the system because their influence decides how parents make decisions.

I'm actually trying to expand the box in order capture more possibilities for our children.

La Jolla Nomads used to be the cream of the crop in San Diego when it came to boys in 90s , early 2000s . some of the age groups had boys teams that were amongst the best in country

forget the name of guy who was running it , but he would take on kids from south of San Diego, real talented players that made these teams great . These kids barely had money to buy shoes

there were certainly parents who did not like subsidizing these players, or chaperoning them at out of state tournaments , you wanna play you pay ( especially if they took their kids spot ) was the mentality.

I think a lot of people just wanna see the game grow and get the most out of this large gigantic pool of players , but I also understand how some parents don’t want that to be at the expense of their kid

La Jolla Nomads used to be the cream of the crop in San Diego when it came to boys in 90s , early 2000s . some of the age groups had boys teams that were amongst the best in country

forget the name of guy who was running it , but he would take on kids from south of San Diego, real talented players that made these teams great . These kids barely had money to buy shoes

there were certainly parents who did not like subsidizing these players, or chaperoning them at out of state tournaments , you wanna play you pay ( especially if they took their kids spot ) was the mentality.

I think a lot of people just wanna see the game grow and get the most out of this large gigantic pool of players , but I also understand how some parents don’t want that to be at the expense of their kid

Or are they saying "practice with us and dont drive to play for Surf or Blues."

That's exactly what they're saying. You can add Legends to that list too I'd think. While it does seem hypocritical for the club to say this while being a member of a national league, inland empire clubs are going to be driving pretty far to games no matter the league. It's not like drives to SoCal or Coast games would be any shorter for them. Showcase and playoff events are another story though.

wow Derek is still running the show
What happened to the club, Surf lol ?
They were out marketed by Surf and Albion. Now a niche club with basically only MLS Next clubs. U15 and above the teams are competitive in MLS Next. Not much of a youngers program to feed into the U13 and U14 teams.

That's exactly what they're saying. You can add Legends to that list too I'd think. While it does seem hypocritical for the club to say this while being a member of a national league, inland empire clubs are going to be driving pretty far to games no matter the league. It's not like drives to SoCal or Coast games would be any shorter for them. Showcase and playoff events are another story though.

Despite the "play local" part of the thread title, isn't it really "train local"?

Despite the "play local" part of the thread title, isn't it really "train local"?
The really funny thing is that last year southwest GA included Phoenix and Vegas. This is the first year of SW GA being only SoCal. They created a new division called Mountain West and put Phoenix and Vegas with them. Basically I see this as a dig on ECNL SW as it still includes Phoenix and LV and teams have to travel. I think this is more of a "hey you can be in an elite league and not have to drive if you come to us... never mind the competition isn't that good anymore....THINK OF THE CHILDREN!"

Travel to practice is a big deal. You have maybe 150 practices, plus another 10 home games, every year. Most of that is at rush hour. It can easily add up to 300-400 hours a year if you choose a far away club.

For scale, a full time job is 2000 hours a year. Adding another 300 on top of it is no small thing.

They were out marketed by Surf and Albion. Now a niche club with basically only MLS Next clubs. U15 and above the teams are competitive in MLS Next. Not much of a youngers program to feed into the U13 and U14 teams.
Murrieta Soccer Academy, Legends Temecula Valley, and City SC Temecula(or whatever they are called now) have been losing elite players driving North, South and West the last 7 years. All 3 of these clubs have changed names the last 2-3 years to re-brand. Why? The valley has the talent to make a top level club but these 3 clubs (and 2-3 others) are dividing up any local talent. Promises made and promises broken every year at these clubs to play in a higher level. Some don’t have the coaching licenses, ie Legends South and some don’t have the players, ie Murrieta Surf.
So the elite players, and their super dedicated parents bail from Temec/Murrieta to seek top level play and coaching at the SoCal powerhouses, and I don’t blame them. Playing in the SCDSL, DPL,NPL or whatever alphabet league is just not high level. If you want to improve, everyone should know that you have to challenge yourself against the best, and leaving the valley is what all the strong players will continue to do.

Murrieta Soccer Academy, Legends Temecula Valley, and City SC Temecula(or whatever they are called now) have been losing elite players driving North, South and West the last 7 years. All 3 of these clubs have changed names the last 2-3 years to re-brand. Why? The valley has the talent to make a top level club but these 3 clubs (and 2-3 others) are dividing up any local talent. Promises made and promises broken every year at these clubs to play in a higher level. Some don’t have the coaching licenses, ie Legends South and some don’t have the players, ie Murrieta Surf.
So the elite players, and their super dedicated parents bail from Temec/Murrieta to seek top level play and coaching at the SoCal powerhouses, and I don’t blame them. Playing in the SCDSL, DPL,NPL or whatever alphabet league is just not high level. If you want to improve, everyone should know that you have to challenge yourself against the best, and leaving the valley is what all the strong players will continue to do.
EXACTLY!!

No appetite for those teams in Murrieta/Temecula to consolidate so they can retain talent locally there?
I generally think there should be consolidation of clubs across the board in SoCal, especially the smaller ones... to compete with the mega clubs...

No appetite for those teams in Murrieta/Temecula to consolidate so they can retain talent locally there?
I generally think there should be consolidation of clubs across the board in SoCal, especially the smaller ones... to compete with the mega clubs...
The "smaller" (ie not ECNL) ones just need to all play in the same local league + stop being fragmented. At least in Socal.

My dd and I ((sometimes my wife)) drove for two years to the Ranch in OC from Temecula to play for the top #1 team in Socal at the time. Then we drove to Del Mar for two years to play for the now #1 club in the country. We won State Cups and national Championship. It was well worth it at the time. If I were the King of the Temecula and Murrieta Valley and I was able to get all the top players from the valley to play for my local club, then I think a winner could come from the area. I really believe that. Unfortunately for the area, people who like to win big games will bail for the best because of too many Kings in the jungle. Also, all the top clubs have satellite offices to recruit. Hawks had the best chance but they sold to Legends.

The "smaller" (ie not ECNL) ones just need to all play in the same local league + stop being fragmented. At least in Socal.

That's going to be really hard to do. The philosophies (everything from pro/rel, to how to handle the youngers, to referees, to styles of play) are really beginning to diverge. A lot of the teams you see in Coast now (at least on the boys side) kind of approach the entire thing like little league (which is why some one off teams local teams, Latino teams, and AYSO United teams can hold the top spots). SoCal approaches it as more of a tier system for the clubs feeding up to MLS/ENCL. If anything, you'll probably see more fracturing, not less.

the other day my son and I were watching a coast team my son left 3 years ago that had advanced up the ranks. Was surprised how now even a couple seasons of 11 v 11 how little the style of play had changed from when they were ulittles. It still was effective and worked, but it wasn't exactly what I would call beautiful soccer and was genuinely surprised by how little had changed.

My dd and I ((sometimes my wife)) drove for two years to the Ranch in OC from Temecula to play for the top #1 team in Socal at the time. Then we drove to Del Mar for two years to play for the now #1 club in the country. We won State Cups and national Championship. It was well worth it at the time. If I were the King of the Temecula and Murrieta Valley and I was able to get all the top players from the valley to play for my local club, then I think a winner could come from the area. I really believe that. Unfortunately for the area, people who like to win big games will bail for the best because of too many Kings in the jungle. Also, all the top clubs have satellite offices to recruit. Hawks had the best chance but they sold to Legends.

I think almost everyone believes that if the Valley pooled all the talent it would be a winner. However I do think that Murrieta Soccer Academy are very quickly going to turn this around and be "Kings" as you say. Looks like Murrieta are building a soccer specific complex too. Other reports say its costing between $55m - $77m must be special at that price!

Back