Base layers

Okay, let me try to rephrase my point from earlier. First, let me start off with: I have never prevented a kid from playing a game due to uniform issues. Also, I only ever ask a kid to comply with base layer and shin guard strap protocol if the game is being televised. Even then, it is a quick fix and mostly they don't mind.

My next point is that a team with a uniform and several different color base layers and shin guard straps and tape looks sloppy. Period. I recognize it, parents recognize it. We cannot stop the fact that we are visual, judgmental creatures that will subconsciously let our first impressions color our perspective.

In my opinions, having a sloppy uniform is just as bad as having a sloppy warm-up. I reffed a game this past weekend and the U17 boys barely warmed up. They screwed around, mostly took shots while they cussed and goofed around, never stretched, and the coach didn't mind any of this. Immediately I thought: "Here is a team that does not take themselves seriously, they have no aspirations of getting better, and they do not care whether they win or lose this game...that much".

A sloppy uniform says the same things but to a lesser degree.

My earlier message was not to refs to stop the uniform issues. We should not and could not care less.
My earlier message was to parents who complain about the rules existence like it is the most stupid non-sensical thing in the world.
That rule is there to help you and your team look better, and if you want to express your individuality despite a uniform, then more power to you; you showed "the man" what's up.
Wow lots of "issues" embedded in that one. #bantheriffraff

The NFHS (high school) rules changed this year so that a base layer only needs to be "of similar length, all solid and of a like color." The IFAB LOTG remain the same, i.e. the base layer needs to match the uniform color. Both IFAB and NFHS still require shin guard straps or tape to match the color of the part of the sock it is attached to.

I also have the captains wear the captain armband on the arm rather than use it as a shinguard strap.

If all referees enforced these requirements then I don't think there would be an issue. The problem is when you tell a player to fix the uniform problem the response from the coach/player/parent many times is that there hasn't been an issue in the past with other referees. How many complaints do we see in this forum about inconsistent referees?

How many times have coaches and players lied about other refs allowing things to go on?

Back