Bad Timing/Bad Luck/ECNL Phoenix Showcase Nov10-13

In my experience a lot of the schools register a week or so out. Makes for some frantic emailing in the days leading up to the event.
Exactly this... Plenty of "name brand" schools will attend, they always do. 2 weeks later they will be at Silver Lakes. AZ and CA have great weather this time of the year. The list today means nothing.

What I'm seeing is that Colleges will attend both ECNL and GA showcases.

I also bet that "top talent" from both leagues are getting recruited before even attending the showcase.

Showcases are likely where coaches fill out their teams bench depending on the number of "top talent" they're able to reel in outside of showcases.

What I'm really seeing is how important the clubs college placement person is + the number of connections they have.
Showcases meet several coach/program requirements: validate/confirm/deny/recruit/steal, etc...

If you are playing for an ECNL club you should have known this going in -- pay, pay and pay some more. Most of the non "crap" schools have recruiting coordinators anyway and will be there even if not listed early. It is also another opportunity to play and get some good film.
I feel like this is mentioned every year for this ECNL showcase and then in early December DA/GA runs up against finals and HS seasons. Decisions Decisions Decisions
Go don't go it has to be a family decision, but it could affect how your club sees the player and commitment (right or wrong).

There will be plenty of the big name schools there. There always are. Even if you don't see a school you may have interest in on any list make sure your kids are still sending the emails to them with the schedule. If you show the interest, more often than not, they will come to watch.
As for the $, you knew what you signed up for.

This has been date since my oldest daughter - now a college Jr - first played the showcase (2015, I think). Depending on results in the opening round of NCAA and location of the school, you will often see college coaches show up even if they are not listed (some coaches never appear on the list) and these Sat-arrivals included coaches from top programs. A friend sent me an email I sent to the families and there were 65 programs (+ USA Soccer) who attended in Fall of '18 (most of the girls on my daughter's team were HS juniors, a number had committed (old recruiting rules, you can take officials and communicate before end of Soph year) but we still had a big turnout). The programs were a mix of P5 and mid-major and there were a number of NCAA tourney participants that came for 1 or 2 days (I'd note that in what I sent to the families). Spring PHX always had a bigger turnout but it felt fine. Obviously, this is not a comment on current airfare and lodging.

(I can't locate my prior lists but my guess is that there would have been a higher number in '17 (when they were sophs) and a comparable number in '16 (they played 3 Texas teams in that showcase so I a lot of southern programs were there))
Agree with this. In my experience many schools show up after their tournament futures shake out. In retrospect we had to travel all over the country for ECNL showcases where no colleges attended due to Covid so you and your daughter will be just fine.

Having your kid be the only keeper, even though she is already committed, means showing up at every Showcase the team goes to.

Having your kid be the only keeper, even though she is already committed, means showing up at every Showcase the team goes to.

That was the case for us. She’d miss when she was at YNT camp. In fact, once when she was at camp her team had a guest player register as a discovery player. Worked out for her as she ended up with an offer and is a 3-year college starter.

Been this way since the beginning of time. Valid points but if your kid is there you are already firmly entrenched in the pay up “and” shut up soccer world. Welcome. Complaining to the Doc will just hurt your kid.
keep crying that your daughter isnt good. Angry parents always making excuses

You took the words right out of my mouth.....lol. The best thing to do is STFU, pay up, stay & pay, STFU some more, and whatever you do, don't complain to the Doc. My first showcase showdown was so disappointing. Not only did I pay, I watched my kid sit the first game. Pay to sit and not play and I was not happy. Drive all the way to Phoenix to watch other kids play who already had offers, show off their skillz that the Guru taught them. That was fun to watch....NOT!!!!! Doc told her right after warmups that she was picked with another player ((dude lied and said he would only carry 18 when I signed her up, but decided at the last minute to break his word with my kid and me so he can make more $$$ and added 2 to make 20 players)) to learn how the real is game played from bench. The next game, she got to play 2nd half with our squad up 6-0 at half. The Sunday game at 3pm she got to start but no coaches were there. I complained to the boss, the Doc, the coach, the TM and EVERYONE at the fields how much all this was BS. They all come back at me and my dd that it was our fault because we didn't email the coaches b4 the showcase to come watch my dd sit on the bench.
just admit your daughter is puny and not at the level you wish.

Nasty comments from someone that has no idea if other parents kids are "good enough" to be playing.

I can almost guarantee that no single type of player will bring wins week after week. You need powerful + fast, skillful + smart, tough + determined, etc etc etc to be consistent over time.

When parents are warning about DOCs or Leagues or certain coaching styles take it all with a grain of salt but at the same time listen to what they're saying. Youth soccer is a marathon not a sprint.

The things you know in hindsight - my DD’s current college coaching staff rarely registers as attending the showcases in advance, just shows up that first day. My guess is that it’s to shrink the number of random “I’m playing on field 6” emails from players who haven’t actually looked at the school and the program otherwise and are sending out a slew of emails to the attending coaches just to see what happens. I’ll echo the prior posters saying that picking the schools first based on a number of different factors and focusing on building a relationship with them in advance, so that you are already on a coach’s radar when a showcase comes around, is what ended up being successful for my DD.

Back