AYSO Ads

So National AYSO has always had commercial arrangements with various third parties. I get the Fox Sports sponsorship on the uniforms-- at least the tie in has to do with sports and an organization where kids can go to watch soccer. I get the tieins with equipment companies, since particularly parent coaches might be in the market for equipment. I even get the tieins with local restaurants since teams might want to do team dinners. But now they are doing movie tieins? Perhaps they've always done these and I've missed them? I'm struggling, though, to see either the soccer or educational value of Ninjago. I'd love to know how much Lego paid AYSO for this.:rolleyes:

ENTER FOR YOUR CHANCE TO WIN A HOMETOWN SCREENING OF THE LEGO NINJAGO MOVIE

When the six young ninjas in the animated adventure, The LEGO NINJAGO® Movie, work to defend their home or complete an assignment in high school, teamwork is so important to achieve their goals. What do you do as a team to prepare for a game? Is there a team chant or exercise that works to bring everyone together and focused on the game?

For a chance to win a hometown screening of the film for you and your team, please share your teamwork story using #LEGONINJAGOMovie and #NINJAGOAYSO on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter by September 25 11:59 p.m. PT. The Grand Prize winner will be announced on AYSO’s Facebook page.

The LEGO NINJAGO® Movie opens in theaters nationwide on September 22, 2017, in both RealD 3D as well as in regular 2D. The movie is rated PG.

The tie-in is that AYSO has a lot of kids (and therefore parents) in the organization and Lego wants to reach that market. Massive numbers of families with children 7-11 years old. Probably just what they are looking for in promoting the movie.

I may be mistaken but it sounds like you have a problem with it and I can't imagine why. Its not like they're working with Phillip Morris or Anhauser Busch.

Because of volunteers and corporate tie-ins AYSO is a bargain.

The tie-in is that AYSO has a lot of kids (and therefore parents) in the organization and Lego wants to reach that market. Massive numbers of families with children 7-11 years old. Probably just what they are looking for in promoting the movie.

I may be mistaken but it sounds like you have a problem with it and I can't imagine why. Its not like they're working with Phillip Morris or Anhauser Busch.

Not sure I have a problem with it. If the money is going for a good cause, like offsetting uniform costs or scholarships, maybe its great. I know they do tieins, but the ones I've noticed so far are generally soccer or academic related...this one, though, doesn't seem to have any such connection. Where's the line? Fast food? Health products? Movieties? Herbalife? Sure, AYSO is a private entity and is legally free to make a tiein with anyone. But should it?

Not that they need one, but it seems you answered your own question by quoting a logical "TIE-IN" (moral?) to youth rec soccer:
When the six young ninjas in the animated adventure, The LEGO NINJAGO® Movie, work to defend their home or complete an assignment in high school, teamwork is so important to achieve their goals.

Is this worse than advertising for Score or Fox Sports? Are you against Legos?

Not that they need one, but it seems you answered your own question by quoting a logical "TIE-IN" (moral?) to youth rec soccer:

Is this worse than advertising for Score or Fox Sports? Are you against Legos?

I took the line more as a marketing throw a way to justify the tie in because exactly of the concern "what does this have to do with soccer or sports". Maybe I'm too cynical? And I love legos, but I admit I'm not a fan of the especially-created-just-for-marketing products like Ninjago or Chima. DYS used to watch it back in the day...yeah it did emphasize teamwork but it quickly drifted away from that when it got into the entire father-son dynamic. Is teamwork in particular the theme of this film?

Still can't be as bad as dinosaur train. I picture some marketing execs sitting in a room and thinking what can we sell to little boys...they love trains....they love dinosaurs....let's put them together!

Not sure I have a problem with it. If the money is going for a good cause, like offsetting uniform costs or scholarships, maybe its great.
Who knows which money goes where. My daughter payed AYSO Core (rec) for her first 2 seasons. Both were $80 which included registration, uniform, fields, league fee and things like that. Now we pay 20x that, before including the dozen or so tournaments each year!!!

I think that the volunteers are the biggest reason for the low cost, and I participated in that effort (and still do), but I have to presume that the corporate sponsorship is a part of it.

Agree. That said, whenever my kids showed up with a fundraising opportunity (selling magazines, cups, etc.) I always lamented the fact that it was nothing I wanted to buy, but would totally sign up for a "Beer of the Month" club.

AYSO is a non-profit that relies heavily on volunteers to keep costs low. Every penny they receive in the form of corporate sponsorship goes to offset the various costs and expenses, so maybe this year the price stays at $85 instead of $90 per kid. I say more power too them. We are bombarded with marketing messages daily so having a kids movie throw money at AYSO to get access to a prime demographic is smart.

Agree. That said, whenever my kids showed up with a fundraising opportunity (selling magazines, cups, etc.) I always lamented the fact that it was nothing I wanted to buy, but would totally sign up for a "Beer of the Month" club.

AYSO is a non-profit that relies heavily on volunteers to keep costs low. Every penny they receive in the form of corporate sponsorship goes to offset the various costs and expenses, so maybe this year the price stays at $85 instead of $90 per kid. I say more power too them. We are bombarded with marketing messages daily so having a kids movie throw money at AYSO to get access to a prime demographic is smart.

It's not all volunteers at the national level. There is a hired staff running things.

http://www.ayso.org/Assets/For+Volunteers/Resources/Finance/990+Forms/990_form_2011.pdf

Back