Another offside question

SDMama

SILVER ELITE
https://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_11_offside_en_47383.pdf - Page 26

Same scenario except player B2 passes the ball forward for player C who has to run forward to get the ball. The AR called this offside, stopping the play.

We thought maybe it was offside because the pass was forward instead of lateral or backward. But if player C was behind the ball when it was played, is it offside?674E2428-F78B-465C-987A-2B8FCD7051D7.jpeg

Are you absolutely positive that player C was behind the ball? Were you standing even with either the last defender or the ball, whichever was closest to the goal line, to tell for certain the player was onside before the ball was kicked? If player C truly was in a onside position than the AR got the call wrong.

The mistake that most parents/spectators make is that they are watching the player with the ball and not the player that is going to receive the ball. Once the ball is kicked then the focus shifts to the player receiving the ball. During this time a player can move a fair amount of distance and appear to either be onside or offside. The other consideration is the parent/spectator viewing angle. Rarely is a parents lined up exactly with the last defender, so they are viewing the play from an angle that does not provide them with the exact position of players at the time the ball was played.

To be fair, refs make that same mistake. Sometimes the play moves too fast for them to keep up with it, and from their view, the player looks offside, so between being unsure and the chorus of "they're offsides ref", they make a wrong call.

It happens.

Are you absolutely positive that player C was behind the ball? Were you standing even with either the last defender or the ball, whichever was closest to the goal line, to tell for certain the player was onside before the ball was kicked? If player C truly was in a onside position than the AR got the call wrong.

The mistake that most parents/spectators make is that they are watching the player with the ball and not the player that is going to receive the ball. Once the ball is kicked then the focus shifts to the player receiving the ball. During this time a player can move a fair amount of distance and appear to either be onside or offside. The other consideration is the parent/spectator viewing angle. Rarely is a parents lined up exactly with the last defender, so they are viewing the play from an angle that does not provide them with the exact position of players at the time the ball was played.
We see things in our kids' games with our hearts, not with our eyes :).

To be fair, refs make that same mistake. Sometimes the play moves too fast for them to keep up with it, and from their view, the player looks offside, so between being unsure and the chorus of "they're offsides ref", they make a wrong call.

It happens.

Offside must be the hardest call for referee teams to get right.

I now realize that the tone of my question may have been wrong. (Sorry, Surfref!) I didn’t mean to complain as much as to try to understand the call and the rule. The call could have been perfectly correct.... Perhaps the player who received the ball wasn’t behind the ball. It happened fast, and my angle certainly wasn’t as good as the AR’s angle. But I do appreciate the educational responses here.

I now realize that the tone of my question may have been wrong. (Sorry, Surfref!) I didn’t mean to complain as much as to try to understand the call and the rule. The call could have been perfectly correct.... Perhaps the player who received the ball wasn’t behind the ball. It happened fast, and my angle certainly wasn’t as good as the AR’s angle. But I do appreciate the educational responses here.
No problem. I was just trying to educate.

Back