Ankle ligament tear - good ankle brace?

DD tore the ATFL in her ankle - just got released for the ortho so possibly looking for a brace (instead of taping it).

Any suggestions or good/bad experiences?

The laced up ankle braces will give support and some confidence but are really difficult to maintain touch with. There really is no substitute for a good tape job although I realize that is expensive and time consuming. The neoprene braces are garbage and will not prevent an injury.

Best wishes to your daughter.

We are right at 2 months out from the injury and have stayed away from doing anything above light rehab/jogging (did about a month of PT). Ortho gave a full release, but like any injury, until it’s tested there will always be that seed of doubt. I can only imagine what girls have to go through when they get back after dealing with an ACL.

May still just tape it but just seeing what’s out there…appreciate the feedback.

We are right at 2 months out from the injury and have stayed away from doing anything above light rehab/jogging (did about a month of PT). Ortho gave a full release, but like any injury, until it’s tested there will always be that seed of doubt. I can only imagine what girls have to go through when they get back after dealing with an ACL.

May still just tape it but just seeing what’s out there…appreciate the feedback.

Good luck to your daughter. Among my kids’ teammates (and as has been recommended to us), the ASO line is the most common.https://www.medco-athletics.com/products-medco/braces-supports-casting-splinting/ankle-braces-supports/aso-ankle-braces-supports

(And my 15yo twins are 7.5 and 6 months post ACL surgery. And, yup, it’s a grind)

This is the best ankle brace and still lets you move around. Good luck in your daughter's recovery. I get it that she may be more confident with an ankle brace at first. When they gain their confidence back, she will tell you that she doesn't need to wear it. I would continue to have her do toe lifts and stretches to prevent further ankle sprains. Unfortunately, they may happen again.

Back