Advice on going to EA league

DOC/coach decides whether to place the team in F1, F2, or F3. SoCal does not care.

For the olders, prior to Covid there were some rules about entrance into the Discovery bracket. Not sure if those rules are still valid.

Here is a link to SOCAL's plan for the NPL 2023 Fall Season. If they stick with the plan to implement promotion/relegation, the NPL will be a very strong league in the next couple years. http://socalsoccerleague.org/_files...y-npl-1/SOCAL Discovery NPL Qualification.pdf

You are never going to get everyone to agree on the hierarchy of Leagues, especially in this forum. The boys and girls side are also not aligned due to MLS Next for the boys, and no NWSL product for the girls (not yet anyway). Almost everyone will agree that MLS next for the boys and ECNL for the girls are the top leagues. I made a chart of the older leagues to help myself understand how all these leagues are related, and who the overseeing organizations are that are competing with each other for "the best" product/league. This chart was made with the Southwest teams in comparison. The GA and EA may be in higher Tiers in other regions, but it has been very evident this year that they are not as strong in the Southwest.View attachment 15245
Your calsouth stuff is already out of date. On the olders boys end at least it is now Premiere/Championship/flight 1 gold/flight 2 silver/flight 3 bronze.

The products aren't necessarily one to one. The premiere is certainly at least low level EA competition and one b08 team recently came back with success in Europe. The lower flight CalSouth is also a big mess, sort of with flight 4 and flight 3 socal equivalents mushed together. Lot of blow outs. May resolve next year as flight 3s move up assuming cal south holds it together but CalSouth is organized deliberately like a pyramid while Socal is not (which actually if you think about how talent is really distributed makes a whole lot more sense). ECRL/NPL is also a hard to judge with the exodus of some NPL teams to Elite 64, EA, EA2, but there are still some NPL teams that can take out some boys ECRL teams

MLS Next needs to be really broken out into two tiers since for league the academies are playing just each other as they get older. The rest are mostly practice cannon fodder for the academy teams and are in their own league together, some substantial overlap in quality with ECNL.

Here is a link to SOCAL's plan for the NPL 2023 Fall Season. If they stick with the plan to implement promotion/relegation, the NPL will be a very strong league in the next couple years. http://socalsoccerleague.org/_files/programming/discovery-npl-1/SOCAL Discovery NPL Qualification.pdf
I really don't think so. I think it's just going to accelerate the move of clubs into EA2 and E64. The issue with having pro rel in just a middle tier is that it makes it very hard to move players around. You can't promote your best because you need to keep the NPL strong, so they are just locked in, and to move up need to change clubs. For that reason the clubs prefer the closed circuit.

Your calsouth stuff is already out of date. On the olders boys end at least it is now Premiere/Championship/flight 1 gold/flight 2 silver/flight 3 bronze.

The products aren't necessarily one to one. The premiere is certainly at least low level EA competition and one b08 team recently came back with success in Europe. The lower flight CalSouth is also a big mess, sort of with flight 4 and flight 3 socal equivalents mushed together. Lot of blow outs. May resolve next year as flight 3s move up assuming cal south holds it together but CalSouth is organized deliberately like a pyramid while Socal is not (which actually if you think about how talent is really distributed makes a whole lot more sense). ECRL/NPL is also a hard to judge with the exodus of some NPL teams to Elite 64, EA, EA2, but there are still some NPL teams that can take out some boys ECRL teams

MLS Next needs to be really broken out into two tiers since for league the academies are playing just each other as they get older. The rest are mostly practice cannon fodder for the academy teams and are in their own league together, some substantial overlap in quality with ECNL.

Thanks for the updated info on CalSouth, I made this last year and haven't really followed their branding changes. There are always going to be one or two exceptions for specific teams and the overlap, as the annotation states, Tier 2, 3, and 4 leagues have a lot of overlap. Some great teams are locked out of leagues, and can perform very well at higher levels. Some teams like to sandbag in lower level leagues, and can perform well against teams in higher leagues. Some teams are in a league because the club must enter a team for that age group, and they are not playing up to par. The chart is based of the mean average level of play of the teams in that league. There is also a problem of Hierarchy within the overseeing organization when comparing leagues. For example, USYS products are designed with the hierarchy of E64, PRO, and then USYS Regional Leagues (Cal South). If Cal South Premiere is moved up to be in line with low level EA or high level EA2, then it would imply E64 is performing with MLS Next, which it is not. Southwest does not really have a PRO following, and the E64 is in reality, not much better than the regional leagues top flights (Cal South/SOCAL), but I can't really justify moving Cal South Premiere above E64 because a few teams are performing at the bottom of EA level. I did decide to combine the E64 and P.R.O., because the southwest just doesn't really participate in P.R.O.. Here is a slightly updated chart for all of us to debate.
Capture.PNG

I really don't think so. I think it's just going to accelerate the move of clubs into EA2 and E64. The issue with having pro rel in just a middle tier is that it makes it very hard to move players around. You can't promote your best because you need to keep the NPL strong, so they are just locked in, and to move up need to change clubs. For that reason the clubs prefer the closed circuit.

For the clubs in closed circuit leagues, that have a higher level of play than SOCAL League you are correct. But for teams not playing at privileged clubs, they are not going to be moving into leagues requiring travel. I won't be surprised if a lot of E64 players leave to play CSL/NPL next year, as many families are not okay with the added expense of closed league pay for basically the same level of play. I know a lot of families who had their first year of E64/DPL/EA2 this past year, and are not planning on repeating the experience next year unless they are playing MLS Next(boys)/ECNL(girls). Clubs who have their third and forth teams in NPL the past couple of years, probably won't be able to keep them there, not because the level of play is too low, but because the level of play will be increasing, and third team players will not be competitive. A lot of the clubs who are playing higher level leagues have NPL teams who are already not performing, and are already being relegated this upcoming season. I don't think NPL will be Tier 1, but it will certainly be on par with Tier 2 and 3 leagues soon. I could be wrong, again, but we will see in a couple years.

For the clubs in closed circuit leagues, that have a higher level of play than SOCAL League you are correct. But for teams not playing at privileged clubs, they are not going to be moving into leagues requiring travel. I won't be surprised if a lot of E64 players leave to play CSL/NPL next year, as many families are not okay with the added expense of closed league pay for basically the same level of play. I know a lot of families who had their first year of E64/DPL/EA2 this past year, and are not planning on repeating the experience next year unless they are playing MLS Next(boys)/ECNL(girls). Clubs who have their third and forth teams in NPL the past couple of years, probably won't be able to keep them there, not because the level of play is too low, but because the level of play will be increasing, and third team players will not be competitive. A lot of the clubs who are playing higher level leagues have NPL teams who are already not performing, and are already being relegated this upcoming season. I don't think NPL will be Tier 1, but it will certainly be on par with Tier 2 and 3 leagues soon. I could be wrong, again, but we will see in a couple years.
I think it depends how much EA2 poaches and grows. The issue with the more competitive teams from locked out clubs is that eventually those players go to greener pastures to move up, which then places the NPL team in danger of relegation.
Thanks for the updated info on CalSouth, I made this last year and haven't really followed their branding changes. There are always going to be one or two exceptions for specific teams and the overlap, as the annotation states, Tier 2, 3, and 4 leagues have a lot of overlap. Some great teams are locked out of leagues, and can perform very well at higher levels. Some teams like to sandbag in lower level leagues, and can perform well against teams in higher leagues. Some teams are in a league because the club must enter a team for that age group, and they are not playing up to par. The chart is based of the mean average level of play of the teams in that league. There is also a problem of Hierarchy within the overseeing organization when comparing leagues. For example, USYS products are designed with the hierarchy of E64, PRO, and then USYS Regional Leagues (Cal South). If Cal South Premiere is moved up to be in line with low level EA or high level EA2, then it would imply E64 is performing with MLS Next, which it is not. Southwest does not really have a PRO following, and the E64 is in reality, not much better than the regional leagues top flights (Cal South/SOCAL), but I can't really justify moving Cal South Premiere above E64 because a few teams are performing at the bottom of EA level. I did decide to combine the E64 and P.R.O., because the southwest just doesn't really participate in P.R.O.. Here is a slightly updated chart for all of us to debate.
View attachment 15249
I still object to MLS Next being bunched together. The Academies are a much different kettle of fish and ECNL's top teams for the boys is definitely on par with the mid tiers of the remainder of MLS Next. No way ECNL is on par either by repute or competitively with the mid tier of EA which is far below that of ECNL. The lower level of EA1 would have difficulty with the top NPL and premiere teams, much less be two bands over it.

I won't be surprised if a lot of E64 players leave to play CSL/NPL next year, as many families are not okay with the added expense of closed league pay for basically the same level of play. I know a lot of families who had their first year of E64/DPL/EA2 this past year, and are not planning on repeating the experience next year unless they are playing MLS Next(boys)/ECNL(girls).
This happens to my team and my circle of friends/families. Majority cannot afford travelling league (due to time and/or financial) thus the level of play really does not matter if it plays beyond greater LA/OC/SD/SB county. Perhaps this could be the selling point of NPL, I certainly hope so.

I think it depends how much EA2 poaches and grows. The issue with the more competitive teams from locked out clubs is that eventually those players go to greener pastures to move up, which then places the NPL team in danger of relegation.
I still object to MLS Next being bunched together. The Academies are a much different kettle of fish and ECNL's top teams for the boys is definitely on par with the mid tiers of the remainder of MLS Next. No way ECNL is on par either by repute or competitively with the mid tier of EA which is far below that of ECNL. The lower level of EA1 would have difficulty with the top NPL and premiere teams, much less be two bands over it.

My real hope is to have one pyramid for all youth soccer. Obviously not going to happen in our lifetime :)

I admit, the boys side is murky, and I think widely varied even within the different regions in SoCal.

On the boys side, how would you compare/align the top league from each organization? MLS Academy in relation to ECNL to EA to E64? I know there is a lot of overlap, my original comparison was an attempt to create overlapping gradients for each league, but it was a complicated mess. The intent of this table, is to help others (originally myself) understand how all the different leagues and organizations fit together in youth soccer. So, at some point I abandoned the gradients and overlaps, and determined a decision must be made about where a league falls into the hierarchy of tiers on the chart, absolutely no overlap, a decision must be made about what tier the league really is and not a few specific teams (mean average level of play). I found it easier to focus on the top league for each organization first, and then let the internal hierarchy of the organization determine where the corresponding leagues fall. I may be giving E64 a little more credit than they have earned, but we will see how the rest the year goes. I've also made an argument that DPL is on par with SOCAL Flt 1 in the past, to much pushback from the GA/DPL crew. I actually think this revision maybe much closer to reality. Capture.PNG

I admit, the boys side is murky, and I think widely varied even within the different regions in SoCal.

On the boys side, how would you compare/align the top league from each organization? MLS Academy in relation to ECNL to EA to E64? I know there is a lot of overlap, my original comparison was an attempt to create overlapping gradients for each league, but it was a complicated mess. The intent of this table, is to help others (originally myself) understand how all the different leagues and organizations fit together in youth soccer. So, at some point I abandoned the gradients and overlaps, and determined a decision must be made about where a league falls into the hierarchy of tiers on the chart, absolutely no overlap, a decision must be made about what tier the league really is and not a few specific teams (mean average level of play). I found it easier to focus on the top league for each organization first, and then let the internal hierarchy of the organization determine where the corresponding leagues fall. I may be giving E64 a little more credit than they have earned, but we will see how the rest the year goes. I've also made an argument that DPL is on par with SOCAL Flt 1 in the past, to much pushback from the GA/DPL crew. I actually think this revision maybe much closer to reality. View attachment 15251
I don’t think you can do it justice without grading it. The other distortion is SoCal teams are just better generally than the equivalents in other areas of the country certain areas excepted.

but I think this is now generally right. The rest is nuanced:
Mls academies stand on their own
Mls next slightly better than ecnl due to the top tier teams but otherwise ecnl equivalent.
ea slightly stronger than Ecrl. Cal south premier is also equivalent to ecrl and ea. those teams can go and do beat ea teams in the tournaments. Their forged in the pro rel
SoCal flight 3 is equivalent (at least for now) with cal south bronze. At the olders flight 4 is just a wreck…mostly a safe haven for new teams in first year. Reason why is cal south insists on the pyramid
As we know now from the e64 thread, different clubs are using it different. Some of the big clubs are using it as dumping grounds for the 4th team. Some like ayso are using it as an ea substitute since locked out. Some are using it as a way to shift around players for extra competition while others are using it as their main league. It’s probably just a special case with no equivalent.

There is going to be a huge disparity in levels of teams no matter what league you are in. If you look at rankings for EA, the top teams are completely blowing out the lower level teams and I am sure it’s the same for MLS and ECNL. Some EA teams are the 2nd team to clubs with MLS teams and are probably doing quite well. Some EA teams are probably flight 2 level but we’re pushed up because the club needed to field a team.

If you look at the top of the 2011 EA table the top are always battling out are competitive,Out off all the 22 teams 10 teams don’t belong there are not at the same level as those tops teams.
now the u13 and up is where all the fun begins you have showcases nationals ect. Where it all counts, you have team being dropped to EA2 as relegation and pushed up for promotions, Hopefully implement this 23/24 year. Just be prepared to actually have competition from day 1

If you look at the top of the 2011 EA table the top are always battling out are competitive,Out off all the 22 teams 10 teams don’t belong there are not at the same level as those tops teams.
now the u13 and up is where all the fun begins you have showcases nationals ect. Where it all counts, you have team being dropped to EA2 as relegation and pushed up for promotions, Hopefully implement this 23/24 year. Just be prepared to actually have competition from day 1

The problem with this is always going to be the same issue as pro/rel for NPL. A sizeable chunk of the EA is the second teams of the MLS Next Teams. In some areas they are dependent on the needs of the MLS Team, and particularly in smaller markets, the MLS Next Team might raid for players in particular years if needed (hence the variability year to year). In others, particularly the larger areas, it will make it it difficult for players to move out of EA and into MLS next because of the need to keep the EA team strong (thats kind of good news for ECNL). It makes it less about the merit of the individual players and more about the needs of the organization, which while appropriate in a professional context, isn't really what should count in a youth development environment. Pro/rel only really works when the entire system is pro/rel from top to bottom like the old Coast monopoly. But as I've said, you can have you soccer accessible, developmental or competitive (pick 2...or in this case maybe 1 1/2).

The problem with this is always going to be the same issue as pro/rel for NPL. A sizeable chunk of the EA is the second teams of the MLS Next Teams. In some areas they are dependent on the needs of the MLS Team, and particularly in smaller markets, the MLS Next Team might raid for players in particular years if needed (hence the variability year to year). In others, particularly the larger areas, it will make it it difficult for players to move out of EA and into MLS next because of the need to keep the EA team strong (thats kind of good news for ECNL). It makes it less about the merit of the individual players and more about the needs of the organization, which while appropriate in a professional context, isn't really what should count in a youth development environment. Pro/rel only really works when the entire system is pro/rel from top to bottom like the old Coast monopoly. But as I've said, you can have you soccer accessible, developmental or competitive (pick 2...or in this case maybe 1 1/2).
Local tryouts from other teams solves this. If clubs want to push down talent + keep them on the B team other clubs will take notice and recruit the talent.

As a parent you need to be doing tryouts at multiple clubs. You never know when another location might be the perfect fit.

I think the DOC is right. Most clubs prefer to avoid playing Flight 1 (younger age group)). See below bracket, nobody wants to be in Flight 1 in West,East,South thus SOCAL has to create Flight 1/2 to accommodate the demand for Flight 2.
I remember the parents in my team wants to play Flight 1 but the coach (or club) rejected the idea even though the league allow us to join (I believe we beat some Flight 1 teams in the summer but I don't know for sure, team names and players are interchangeable).

View attachment 15243

Your kid is 2013? I think EA2 started at U13 this season so 2011s will have EA2s unless they're expanding to younger ages next season (https://system.gotsport.com/org_event/events/16777/schedules?group=115604).

So if it's EA the team is moving to, I think it can work out if the team gels and is able to hang with the above average flight 1 teams currently but if not, it could be a long season to get beat up while driving very far distances for games...
Presumably, the best flight 1 2013 teams will be moving onto the EA next year.

You certainly don't want to take the team up to EA and experience a -50 GD season like some of the teams are experiencing now... (https://system.gotsport.com/org_event/events/16720/schedules?group=114479).

That wouldn't be very fun for the kids.

Local tryouts from other teams solves this. If clubs want to push down talent + keep them on the B team other clubs will take notice and recruit the talent.

As a parent you need to be doing tryouts at multiple clubs. You never know when another location might be the perfect fit.
Yes but it means club hopping is a necessary part of that instead of staying with your friends and developing as a unit. It also means teams get to be largely new every year which means the point of pro/rel (earning the spot and making sure play is level) is kinda moot.
Your kid is 2013? I think EA2 started at U13 this season so 2011s will have EA2s unless they're expanding to younger ages next season (https://system.gotsport.com/org_event/events/16777/schedules?group=115604).

So if it's EA the team is moving to, I think it can work out if the team gels and is able to hang with the above average flight 1 teams currently but if not, it could be a long season to get beat up while driving very far distances for games...
Presumably, the best flight 1 2013 teams will be moving onto the EA next year.

You certainly don't want to take the team up to EA and experience a -50 GD season like some of the teams are experiencing now... (https://system.gotsport.com/org_event/events/16720/schedules?group=114479).

That wouldn't be very fun for the kids.
Rumors are that ea2 is expanding. But the most likely experience if they are sifting to ea1 isn’t a -50 gd (though it could happen particularly if they are in a low recruiting area or if it’s poorly managed). The most likely outcome is most of the existing players will be replaced since at this age ea1 is a huge draw for families looking forward to playing mls next.

As we know now from the e64 thread, different clubs are using it different. Some of the big clubs are using it as dumping grounds for the 4th team. Some like ayso are using it as an ea substitute since locked out. Some are using it as a way to shift around players for extra competition while others are using it as their main league. It’s probably just a special case with no equivalent.

Why is this? I've seen some very good AYSO United teams over the years.

Why is this? I've seen some very good AYSO United teams over the years.
It's not about AYSO having good teams or not and I agree with you that in the younger ages there can be some very good AYSO teams.

What others are saying is that good teams need to play other good teams to continue getting better. As the players start getting older clubs will group together + only play each other. What this means for AYSO is it doesnt matter how good your team is you'll never get an opportunity to prove it against the "best of the best". This is why they're playing in EA, e64, etc instead of Next or ECNL. This is also why people say soccer is for rich people in the US. Clubs that play in Next and ECNL typically charge 3k+ per year and expect another 2-3k for travel + things like jerseys backpacks camps etc.

If lightning strikes and an AYSO team happens to play and do well against a top club team in a tournament or scrimmage there will be coaches in the parking lot trying to recruit your players.

It's not about AYSO having good teams or not and I agree with you that in the younger ages there can be some very good AYSO teams.

What others are saying is that good teams need to play other good teams to continue getting better. As the players start getting older clubs will group together + only play each other. What this means for AYSO is it doesnt matter how good your team is you'll never get an opportunity to prove it against the "best of the best". This is why they're playing in EA, e64, etc instead of Next or ECNL. This is also why people say soccer is for rich people in the US. Clubs that play in Next and ECNL typically charge 3k+ per year and expect another 2-3k for travel + things like jerseys backpacks camps etc.

If lightning strikes and an AYSO team happens to play and do well against a top club team in a tournament or scrimmage there will be coaches in the parking lot trying to recruit your players.

AYSO United isn't playing in EA, but they are in E64. I was wondering why they were locked out of EA considering its reach. That was my question to Grace T.

EA isn't that far off ECNL in certain age groups and E64, at least in SoCal, isn't really considered a good league. High level, organized scrimmages at best. MLS Next is, IMO, far superior.

Doing it every year is a lot of stress for both parents and child. No matter how careful you are during the tryout/practice, you can never know for sure. I have experienced that the team you practice with during the tryout is not the same one you end up with later. Some kids in the process of leaving and some kids are new recruits. Even the coach can be different. Basically you gamble every year. Once you sign the contract, 1 year can be a lost year. The child can even lose interest in playing.
Most parents I know just keep it simple, they just move to the highest league/level they can get. I don't think it is wise, you can be in an ECNL team playing 10 min/game, wasting money and time.

AYSO United isn't playing in EA, but they are in E64. I was wondering why they were locked out of EA considering its reach. That was my question to Grace T.

EA isn't that far off ECNL in certain age groups and E64, at least in SoCal, isn't really considered a good league. High level, organized scrimmages at best. MLS Next is, IMO, far superior.

I don't know but I have three guesses: 1. the AYSO governing board is a an org different and separate and apart from the 4 others listed on code's chart. They've been reluctant to subsume under any of them which has led to resentment and turf wars with the others, 2. AYSO United has an everyone plays philosophy (in my experience, more honored in the breach) but it's incompatible with the substitution limitations set out in MLS, EA and ECNL. I also think it builds the impression among others that because of this AYSO United is less professional., 3. AYSO United is organized in a hub and spokes model all over Socal from Santa Barbara to Chula Vista to the IE....it makes it hard to aggregate 1 or 2 superstar teams and if you do it in LA and San Diego (knowing that these teams will poach from surrounding areas) the hubs in Oxnard, Conejo, IE, South Bay will scream.

However, AYSO United is not the only one locked out (it's just the biggest and most obvious example). Another one is SoCal Elite which has had enormous success. Their B2008 team, for example, I believe won the national cup and is on par with most mid level MLS Next teams for that age group. They are being made to jump hoops and to start in EA2. SoCal Elite also has a number of other really good teams but has been locked out of MLS Next and for a few years the EA. LASC is another club...not as large as some of the MLS Next Clubs...growth is probably hampered by a lack of an MLS Next Team and an EA Team. There's a certain "if you build it they will come" that goes on with MLS/EA/ECNL teams. If they have access to the top tiers, their programs will grow since around age 11-13 the boys looking to play higher level will congregate to these programs.

Back