2017 Surf Cup experiences.....

The EPL plays with one ball...... maybe you could have run and got the ball. especially when your team needed it.

and, if we are told to use one ball by a tournament, then we use one ball. if you ever put on a tournament, you can tell the refs to use ten balls. surf cup, along with some other tournaments, tell us to use one.

The EPL has ball boys, plays in an enclosed space and its pretty difficult to launch an EPL ball into the parking lot, so apples and oranges.

The reason this happens is they hold the refs responsible for the balls. Why would I let another ball in play and lose track of the one ball if I run the risk on being held responsible for the balls? I don't know what being responsible means; however I am not interested in learning by experience. I left the 2nd ball in my bag all weekend so it didn't get lost

I understand the referees were directed to do this. My question is why the tournament decided to enact another rule whose most obvious impact on the game is that kids get less playing time.

The EPL has ball boys, plays in an enclosed space and its pretty difficult to launch an EPL ball into the parking lot, so apples and oranges.
true. to a certain extent. my point is, that the tournament/gaming league says to do things like "this", then we are obliged to follow directions, whether a parent wants to bitch about it or not. and it's really not that big of a deal on most of those fields. it's the same for both teams, which if it weren't, would be the argument against it.

no. by your reputation here, that would be you.

i'll be done with you now.
true. to a certain extent. my point is, that the tournament/gaming league says to do things like "this", then we are obliged to follow directions, whether a parent wants to bitch about it or not. and it's really not that big of a deal on most of those fields. it's the same for both teams, which if it weren't, would be the argument against it.

In the closing minutes of a 1-goal game, it is an advantage to the team in the lead to suspend play for as long as possible.

I was in no way blaming the refs for the ball situation, that lands clearly at the feet of Surf. Yes its equally unfair to both teams to limit the amount of playing time chasing balls. Surf Cup is the creme de la creme of tournaments and plenty of tournaments allow or provide 3 balls. If the refs are responsible for the balls and keeping track of 3 is too difficult than Surf can provide the one game ball and allow each team to put a suitable ball next to or behind their goal and have each team responsible for their ball. This isn't rocket science.

I was in no way blaming the refs for the ball situation, that lands clearly at the feet of Surf. Yes its equally unfair to both teams to limit the amount of playing time chasing balls. Surf Cup is the creme de la creme of tournaments and plenty of tournaments allow or provide 3 balls. If the refs are responsible for the balls and keeping track of 3 is too difficult than Surf can provide the one game ball and allow each team to put a suitable ball next to or behind their goal and have each team responsible for their ball. This isn't rocket science.
all i know is it's my (our) responsibility to play within the tournaments guidelines. and, i've done plenty of tournaments where they allow three balls, and often, you're down to two at some point, which is unfair to one team or the other depending on which goal the extra ball is at. so, you can argue semantics till the cows come home, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not that huge of a deal either way. the amount of balls allowed isn't a factor in how well or poorly your team plays.

all i know is it's my (our) responsibility to play within the tournaments guidelines. and, i've done plenty of tournaments where they allow three balls, and often, you're down to two at some point, which is unfair to one team or the other depending on which goal the extra ball is at. so, you can argue semantics till the cows come home, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not that huge of a deal either way. the amount of balls allowed isn't a factor in how well or poorly your team plays.

I understand your position. I guess I prefer to watch my son play soccer (hopefully well, but sometimes poorly), as opposed to watching him or his teamates chase balls. Losing 5 minutes of a game is a big deal when the solution for Surf to avoid it is so rudimentary. If losing time weren't a big deal I wonder why the LOTG has rules for adding time.

Provide or allow for 3 balls, most tournaments. I couldn't care less that the ball cost $150, do you think most kids can tell or care about the difference between a $150 and a $35 ball? All day long I would rather have 3 $5o balls. The impact on play is much more dramatic with one ball than the neglible difference in performance of a $50 ball and a $150 ball.

Great point, the lack of three balls was an issue. When you are playing 30 minute halves with no stoppage time for lost balls/injuries, it can become a major factor. Three $50 balls is a much better way to go.

Provide or allow for 3 balls, most tournaments. I couldn't care less that the ball cost $150, do you think most kids can tell or care about the difference between a $150 and a $35 ball? All day long I would rather have 3 $5o balls. The impact on play is much more dramatic with one ball than the neglible difference in performance of a $50 ball and a $150 ball.

At least with the olders, the better ball does make a difference. It does not stick to the cleats, has a truer flight and is easier to control.

Over the two weekends and 21 games I refereed, there was only one time when it took longer than 5-15 seconds to get the ball back in play. The one time the ball went into the parking lot it took approximately 30 seconds to get the ball back to the keeper for a goal kick, so I announced to the players and coaches that I would add time to the half. One time out of the 100's of times the ball went out of play is nothing.

At least with the olders, the better ball does make a difference. It does not stick to the cleats, has a truer flight and is easier to control.

Over the two weekends and 21 games I refereed, there was only one time when it took longer than 5-15 seconds to get the ball back in play. The one time the ball went into the parking lot it took approximately 30 seconds to get the ball back to the keeper for a goal kick, so I announced to the players and coaches that I would add time to the half. One time out of the 100's of times the ball went out of play is nothing.
I agree. and out of all the times I have done games with a single ball, very very seldom have I ever had a player complain. Many many times I have had parents complain, and sometimes you have a coach complain but only when he/she's losing. I really think it's more perception of something wrong when there's really not much to it. It makes very little difference.

Back