2009 developmental academy

I recently saw on a tournament schedule a team called "express developmental academy" in the 2009 age group. I can only assume this is the club from Encinitas. This seems like a serious misrepresentation, at best, or fraud, at worst. Does anyone have any insight to this team? I would give US Soccer a call if I were a competing club.

Which tournament? Are you sure it wasn't Elite Development Academy (EDA)? They've had that name before US Soccer's GDA came around.

I recently saw on a tournament schedule a team called "express developmental academy" in the 2009 age group. I can only assume this is the club from Encinitas. This seems like a serious misrepresentation, at best, or fraud, at worst. Does anyone have any insight to this team? I would give US Soccer a call if I were a competing club.
That term has been used by a million clubs for longer than the USSDA has been around. I sure hope that US Soccer has more important things to worry about than a Club using the term Development Academy for ULittles. Unless of course, the USSDA logo was also being used.

That term has been used by a million clubs for longer than the USSDA has been around. I sure hope that US Soccer has more important things to worry about than a Club using the term Development Academy for ULittles. Unless of course, the USSDA logo was also being used.

I am not concerned about US Soccer, but unknowing u8 parents thinking their child is part of something they are not. It is particularly disingenuous now that there is an actual DA program for girls.

Which tournament? Are you sure it wasn't Elite Development Academy (EDA)? They've had that name before US Soccer's GDA came around.

Kickin it challenge. We are planning to go watch a friend play who is in that age group. There are two teams called "express 2009 developmental academy", both from San Diego, both with express coaches.

I am not concerned about US Soccer, but unknowing u8 parents thinking their child is part of something they are not. It is particularly disingenuous now that there is an actual DA program for girls.
Unless of course the u8 program was already called a Development Academy, then what? Why should they have to change the name of their program?

My DD was a part of MBSS's "Developmental Academy" when she first started. It was truly a developmental team that didn't play any tournaments or Leagues.

I see where you are coming from, but USSDA doesn't have the copyright on the term Development Academy so teams will continue to use it. It is those Clubs using the term "Academy" at the Competative age groups (U9 - U19) that aren't USSDA Clubs that we should be more worried about being disingenuous.

Unless of course the u8 program was already called a Development Academy, then what? Why should they have to change the name of their program?

My DD was a part of MBSS's "Developmental Academy" when she first started. It was truly a developmental team that didn't play any tournaments or Leagues.

I see where you are coming from, but USSDA doesn't have the copyright on the term Development Academy so teams will continue to use it. It is those Clubs using the term "Academy" at the Competative age groups (U9 - U19) that aren't USSDA Clubs that we should be more worried about being disingenuous.

I agree with your last statement. There are some clueless parents out there that think they are part of an academy program, and the clubs are allowing it.

I'm going to look at express's website. I don't remember ever seeing them use that term, but it's been awhile since I kept up with u8.

I agree with your last statement. There are some clueless parents out there that think they are part of an academy program, and the clubs are allowing it.

I'm going to look at express's website. I don't remember ever seeing them use that term, but it's been awhile since I kept up with u8.

My feeling is that they are using the term because they are playing in sdda - San Diego developmental academy.

Who cares what a club decides to name their teams. It's like the kid wearing $200 shoes...they will quickly get exposed for who/what they are within the first five minutes of a game.

Chargerfan....you seem to be well versed and confident with your opinions.
Can you help out instead of criticize? Tell the parents about your experiences at this age and what age your children joined "Academies" or "DA's" . Did they join too soon? Too late? What would you have done differently?

Chargerfan....you seem to be well versed and confident with your opinions.
Can you help out instead of criticize? Tell the parents about your experiences at this age and what age your children joined "Academies" or "DA's" . Did they join too soon? Too late? What would you have done differently?

I'm only criticizing the club for using the term in order to trick parents who don't know any better. Express is not a DA Club. I've never known the club to have better than a lower flight 1 level team.

The only "academy" is DA, and we are not participating in it next year. I'm not convinced that much soccer and travel is necessary for a middle schooler. We will re-evaluate after next year though.

I'm only criticizing the club for using the term in order to trick parents who don't know any better. Express is not a DA Club. I've never known the club to have better than a lower flight 1 level team.

The only "academy" is DA, and we are not participating in it next year. I'm not convinced that much soccer and travel is necessary for a middle schooler. We will re-evaluate after next year though.
Thanks for the response. I agree about the travelling part. So unnecessary.

Back