2006G DA Clubs to play DPL Schedule in 2018-2019

I heard today that the Top 2006G age group of the So Cal DA clubs will play a DPL schedule rather than SCDSL or Coast schedule starting in the fall....interesting to say the least. Personally, I have mixed feelings, especially with the substitution rules and the first year of full field. Should be interesting if this happens.

DPL has nothing official to do with DA so the rules are standard rules. It's a SoCal construct by club bosses to give their B teams a league to play in versus other clubs that's A-teams play DA. That's all I know, others may be able to add more, RS3.

I have heard this on the forum on other threads, but not from any coaches anywhere. So, it will be interesting if this really happens. Will they treat top 06 teams as a 05 DPL squad or will they play in their own age group in a league of their own? If the later this should have been done last year in SCDSL pulling together the best teams. Much like CRL does.

What I understand is the G2006 Teams in DA clubs in So Cal will play in the DPL as pure 2006 Teams, not as G2005 DPL. From what I have also been told is it is the G2006 “A” or “First” Teams on the DA Clubs directed to play in the DPL, playing against each other in preparation for DA the following year. These teams would not play SCDSL or Coast, “B” or “Second” teams would play the circuit they typically play.

I don’t trust anything until it happens, just what I have been told. Youth Club Soccer is like a Soap Opera in SoCal. Just what I have been told, and looking to verify.

Good to know about the sub rules. I thought the DPL followed the same rules as DA, Sub’s, Practice Schedule, etc., that sounds better to me. Thank you for the info.

When thinking about this further will they have a criterion in place to determine what teams will compete? Not necessarily leaving it up to SCDSL clubs, but a checklist. Maybe using NC results, CRL results, and league play as standards which to measure teams by? Since DPL is primarily a SCDSL league it may be a good idea to add CSL, SDDA or Presidio teams like Eagles, Albion, or IE Surf and others to encompass the So Cal Region. Food for thought.

What about the clubs that also play ECNL? ECNL mandated the 2006 age for all ENCL clubs this year so that would exclude Surf, Blues, and Slammers (whom both have DA and ECNL status).

I'm guessing all the 2006 teams will play the usual summer tournaments? But could be a slightly different looking season for league play and National Cup next year with teams playing DPL, ECNL and a regualr league.

Is having an age group that is not in the DA playing in the DPL being done to protect a clubs “a” team from losing to a “lesser” club or a clubs “b” team?
You can’t lose to a “B” team if you never play one.
Look at the 2005 Girls Flight 1 schedule from this Fall. A few “preacademy” or “Premier” labeled teams in Flight 1 didn’t win a game and scored very few goals.

What about the clubs that also play ECNL? ECNL mandated the 2006 age for all ENCL clubs this year so that would exclude Surf, Blues, and Slammers (whom both have DA and ECNL status).

I'm guessing all the 2006 teams will play the usual summer tournaments? But could be a slightly different looking season for league play and National Cup next year with teams playing DPL, ECNL and a regualr league.
Your right! It could pull the better 06's to ECNL. This could get very confusing. Let's use Surf as an example. They have 3 very good 06 teams playing 9v9 at this moment. Assume they merge into 2 teams with 11v11. Which one will play ECNL or DPL? You can argue the "A" team could play either dependent on what everyone else does. Or which league does Surf value more? Maybe DPL because its the road to DA. Who knows?

Will Surf follow the "lesser" clubs by playing DPL or will they sabotage the league? I do not see how this marketing will benefit them.

With ECNL, Surf "controlled San Diego. But with 3 DA teams in San Diego they are slowly losing their hold. If they participate in DPL, they will be validati f these other clubs.

I have no knowledge of what's going on behind the scenes, but just wanted to share some thoughts I had about this rumor.

- I've been following the DA, DA2, DPL drama since it started. Currently I have a rather low opinion of the league because I believe they sold themselves as being affiliated with DA, then when DA told them to kick rocks they had to scramble and give the families they signed up SOMETHING, and DPL was what they gave them. It has a very bait-and-switch feel to me. I know that some posters here who have daughters in the league like it, but the initial sell job rubs me the wrong way.

- It makes business sense for the league. Instead of being a last minute DA2 replacement, it could sell itself as a DA2 replacement and a legit pre-academy league. But what happens when DA drops the U13/14 dual age band and runs U13 and U14 as individual bands? Has anyone thought that far ahead?

- How would they sell it? As a fall version of CRL?

- This makes sense for teams without ECNL that want to retain players. For all the talk about Legends or Galaxy moving players to the U13/14 dual age band I think it's not the best idea for the younger players. How much playing time are they really going to get? Is it better to play 35 minutes a game with the 05s or 70 minutes a game with the 06s? How many girls from those teams would be good fits for the dual 05/06 team? Probably between 2 and 4. What about the rest of the girls? The club takes the 2-4 best players away, and now combines you with what used to be the "B" team? That would make me personally consider moving somewhere else. So instead of moving 2-4 girls to DA, the club could keep the team together, while offering a "higher level" than SCDSL and offering games against high level competition every week.

DPL does have different sub rules. All 18 players can play but there is no re-entry in a half. So once your out during a half you can't re-enter that half.

So you define “Lesser Clubs” as those without ECNL???
I would consider Beach, Legends and Carlsbad lesser clubs compared to Surf because they have done a whole lot more with LESS name recognition. I am glad all 3 became DA because they deserve it.

But seriously I meant to put an * stating "lesser in only the eyes of Surf homers". You know that Surf likes to hold themselves above all others and that is why they had a monopoly with ECNL. They want to be the leaders not the followers so even if something is a good idea I don't see them following the crowd'otherwise they won't be able to differentiate themselves and their brand may suffer. Sorry I was not clear.

4 if you include your prediction that Rebels was getting GDA, is that still happening? What have your birdies told you?
Was not my prediction. 2 other posts told me that their dds were being recruited. Not sure what happened. Those posters have dropped off the forum. Must be in plan B mode.

Was not my prediction. 2 other posts told me that their dds were being recruited. Not sure what happened. Those posters have dropped off the forum. Must be in plan B mode.
My bad......I just remembered seeing this (and was subsequently shocked about it which is why I remembered it):

Rebels is suppose to be one of the clubs announcing DA.

Plan B indeed!

I have no knowledge of what's going on behind the scenes, but just wanted to share some thoughts I had about this rumor.

- I've been following the DA, DA2, DPL drama since it started. Currently I have a rather low opinion of the league because I believe they sold themselves as being affiliated with DA, then when DA told them to kick rocks they had to scramble and give the families they signed up SOMETHING, and DPL was what they gave them. It has a very bait-and-switch feel to me. I know that some posters here who have daughters in the league like it, but the initial sell job rubs me the wrong way.

- It makes business sense for the league. Instead of being a last minute DA2 replacement, it could sell itself as a DA2 replacement and a legit pre-academy league. But what happens when DA drops the U13/14 dual age band and runs U13 and U14 as individual bands? Has anyone thought that far ahead?

- How would they sell it? As a fall version of CRL?

- This makes sense for teams without ECNL that want to retain players. For all the talk about Legends or Galaxy moving players to the U13/14 dual age band I think it's not the best idea for the younger players. How much playing time are they really going to get? Is it better to play 35 minutes a game with the 05s or 70 minutes a game with the 06s? How many girls from those teams would be good fits for the dual 05/06 team? Probably between 2 and 4. What about the rest of the girls? The club takes the 2-4 best players away, and now combines you with what used to be the "B" team? That would make me personally consider moving somewhere else. So instead of moving 2-4 girls to DA, the club could keep the team together, while offering a "higher level" than SCDSL and offering games against high level competition every week.

I think the sooner US Soccer stop messing around and initiates all the age groups (U12 - U18) for the girl's DA (mimicking the boy's DA) the better and smoother things will become. Don't they already have a 2006 and 2007 pilot program running in the Mid-Atlantic and Texas regions this year?

I guess the 2006's, regardless if the play DA, ECNL, DPL, DA2, just have a confusing year ahead of them until they graduate to the DA next year.

Back