“Beyond the Cones: Revitalizing U.S. Youth Soccer Technical Training"

This is going to piss some people off as it can effect their pocket books but it needs to be said for the sake of kids. Covid19 & Instagram created some real bad training habits and I’m seeing it take a toll on kids today…

In the evolving landscape of youth soccer, a critical reflection on our training methodologies is overdue, especially regarding the prevalent use of cone drills. While these drills have been a mainstay in developing basic skills, their overuse is inadvertently stifling the broader growth of our young players.

European soccer training, renowned for producing some of the most creative and tactically adept players, emphasizes natural play and situational learning. In contrast, the American youth system's heavy reliance on structured, repetitive cone drills fosters a limited skill set. Players become adept at navigating set patterns but often lack the spontaneity and decision-making skills crucial in a dynamic game setting. This rigid approach limits their ability to adapt to the unpredictable nature of actual gameplay.

The pandemic has amplified this issue, as isolated drills became more common. However, now is the time to rethink and realign. American youth are disciplined and quick learners, but our training has focused too much on the ball and not enough on the game's essence. Soccer is a sport of constant change, where every action is unique. Drills without decision-making elements fail to prepare players for the complexities of the game.

We must shift our focus from repetitive cone drills to more dynamic, game-like scenarios. This involves integrating drills that emphasize decision-making, tactical understanding, and creative problem-solving. By doing so, we not only enhance technical skills but also develop the cognitive aspects of soccer, preparing players to think, adapt, and react intelligently in diverse situations.

To foster a generation of well-rounded players, our training should inspire a love for the game, not just proficiency with the ball. Let's embrace a more holistic approach that balances technical skill with tactical intelligence and creative play. This evolution in our training philosophy will be crucial in elevating the standard of soccer in the United States.

Together, we can build a future for U.S. soccer that values skill, intelligence, and creativity in equal measure.

Last edited:
Most top clubs (MLS Next and ECNL) on the boys side train this way. The girls side is a different story. I also wouldn't use instagram posts as the canary in the coal mine. In many cases those posts are players just doing work on their own, where cone work isn't terrible. It's terrible when cone/line drills show up in team training environments. If kids are standing around and not working with a proper level of intensity, that's a problem. Coaches with european issued UEFA licenses and the likes of Todd Beane (TOVO) do a great job spreading this word. I just wish more folks, especially on the girls side, would adopt this approach.

Most top clubs (MLS Next and ECNL) on the boys side train this way. The girls side is a different story. I also wouldn't use instagram posts as the canary in the coal mine. In many cases those posts are players just doing work on their own, where cone work isn't terrible. It's terrible when cone/line drills show up in team training environments. If kids are standing around and not working with a proper level of intensity, that's a problem. Coaches with european issued UEFA licenses and the likes of Todd Beane (TOVO) do a great job spreading this word. I just wish more folks, especially on the girls side, would adopt this approach.

I totally get it. Having a girl who plays at the highest level with boys and seeing her progress after making the switch to training like this. Don’t get me wrong we did do the cone drills during the pandemic cause that was all we can do and she did improve her technical skills a lot. Lots of Brazilian ball mastery. She was you young u10. But after mastering that stuff I pulled her off the cones and we started training with pressure. Lots of 1v1’s 2v1’s and her game and dribbling transformed within the last 1 1/2 years. There is a reason why she can hang with the top boys and the proof is in the pudding. That’s why I’m big advocate now. I can tell right away the players that train with cones and the ones that train their technical skills vs real pressure. You normally see these kids moving like they are having a seizure and they also don’t advance the ball much moving in circles. They don’t understand when to pass and when to dribble well she destroys these players now because all they know is cone drills. She does this both in futsal and the big pitch. It’s sad to see so many trainers sell the Kool aid to older kids. It’s fine for the little ones that are starting off but not the older kids. Older players should not be training cone drills anymore if they want to become smart technical players. Referring to ecnl players. Ayso I get it. But potential D1/D2 players a big no no. This is part of the reason why our girls are falling behind in the USA.

Last edited:
There are some young kids that are waking up and realizing this as well. This kid makes a good argument about the purpose of structured and unstructured training. If you are young it’s fine to start with some sort of structure but you need to evolve master and graduate as you get older. If you didn’t pick up your technical skills by age 13/14 it’s going to be tough to become technical. Maybe the only exception to do some cone drills considering the level you play at.

I totally get it. Having a girl who plays at the highest level with boys and seeing her progress after making the switch to training like this. Don’t get me wrong we did do the cone drills during the pandemic cause that was all we can do and she did improve her technical skills a lot. Lots of Brazilian ball mastery. She was you young u10. But after mastering that stuff I pulled her off the cones and we started training with pressure. Lots of 1v1’s 2v1’s and her game and dribbling transformed within the last 1 1/2 years. There is a reason why she can hang with the top boys and the proof is in the pudding. That’s why I’m big advocate now. I can tell right away the players that train with cones and the ones that train their technical skills vs real pressure. You normally see these kids moving like they are having a seizure and they also don’t advance the ball much moving in circles. They don’t understand when to pass and when to dribble well she destroys these players now because all they know is cone drills. She does this both in futsal and the big pitch. It’s sad to see so many trainers sell the Kool aid to older kids. It’s fine for the little ones that are starting off but not the older kids. Older players should not be training cone drills anymore if they want to become smart technical players. Referring to ecnl players. Ayso I get it. But potential D1/D2 players a big no no. This is part of the reason why our girls are falling behind in the USA.

Many parents on the girls side don't know what they don't know. It also doesn't help that the USWNT have had a lot of success playing directly and relying a lot on athleticism. In many ways, our youth systems have modeled that. Hopefully the bar has been raised now given the success of Spain, Japan, etc. So it's an education process. When you see a younger team connect 8+ passes together in 7v7 or 9v9 it's amazing to see. You can tell they've been training with a focus on cognition (not doing cone drills). Their brains are tightly coupled with their bodies such that they can make smart decisions. It really is a thing of beauty. If a parent hasn't seen that....then they just don't know. Parents need to demand this level of training, but they also need to be ok with losing games for the sake of development.

Many parents on the girls side don't know what they don't know. It also doesn't help that the USWNT have had a lot of success playing directly and relying a lot on athleticism. In many ways, our youth systems have modeled that. Hopefully the bar has been raised now given the success of Spain, Japan, etc. So it's an education process. When you see a younger team connect 8+ passes together in 7v7 or 9v9 it's amazing to see. You can tell they've been training with a focus on cognition (not doing cone drills). Their brains are tightly coupled with their bodies such that they can make smart decisions. It really is a thing of beauty. If a parent hasn't seen that....then they just don't know. Parents need to demand this level of training, but they also need to be ok with losing games for the sake of development.

I know what you mean. The other thing I‘ve always wondered is who started this whole cone drill revolution. The reality is it’s one big experiment that the rest of the world is not part of. I know Covid was the catalyst to make them mainstream but it started before covid. I remember growing up playing soccer that’s it. No cone drills. We just tried things in pick up games. We played basketball soccer at the park. I don’t remember these cone drills back in the day. In fact I don’t even remember seeing personal trainers. I know trainers hyped them up after covid to bring in easy money. Just line up 30 girls in 6 rows of 5. Have your regulars show the drill to the newbies and the rest follow and get back in line. Cooke cutter. $30 bucks an hour times 30 girls and you making $900 bucks that hour. A great business but is it what’s best for kids? I don’t think so. We as trainers must do better in teaching why you doing things where and how it all applies to the game. I ain’t hating on trainers making their money and I don’t blame most trainers either they just don’t know any better and have followed what was the norm for last few years thinking they are doing what’s best for technical development. Most personal trainers don’t have UEFA licenses and don’t understand the definition of what it means to be a technical player. What we are doing with these cone drills especially for the older kids is developing freestyle Panna players not technical soccer players. That’s the sad reality.

Developing football technique is the intelligent and creative application of soccer skills to enhance both individual play and team strategy. It’s not just about how many times you can juggle a ball, it’s not how cool you look doing tricks or how fast you can zig zag around cones that’s not being a technical player. Cruyff said it best…

9EC7CFA3-477D-4DE8-AF56-713E2EBA07B9.jpeg

Last edited:
Having had a daughter go through ECNL, I don't see Norcal ECNL teams doing cone drills at practice. Even the worst Norcal ECNL teams. So not sure why you think that is an epidemic on the girls' side.

It is true that the players on the lower girls programs cannot possess the ball consistently. But I believe that is more attributable to them having relatively poor first touches compared to the players on the better programs than not playing enough rondos and small sided games at practice (because they play a lot). It's hard to possess the ball when you have 2-3 players on the field with a mediocre touch.

I'm not a coach, but through anecdotal experience talking to the parents of players with the better first touches and clinical finishing, they didn't learn it only from playing small sided games, but rather through repetition and muscle memory, working 1 on 1 with a trainer. Not sure if that training included cones, per se, but it seems likely.

Just MHO.

For me it's very clear which coaches rely on cone drills and circus tricks like juggling at practice vs more free form but focused 1v2 2v3 and group drills.

At younger ages you see the cone drill / circus trick coaches more frequently. I think they do it because it's a control thing. Some coaches want little robots that do exactly what they say. If you have this type of coach the better ones usually also joystick players. This kind of works against teams without any training at all. The worst kind of cone / cirus trick coaches don't joystick. Players end up dependent on the coach to know what to do on the field and the coach just sits there quiet not helping them.

Better coaches might still use cones but it's usually only for initial warm ups. After 5-10 min of warm ups they go straight into team type drills rondos, small sided scrimmages, and variations of both, from there you start working on sectional movement, first 3rd, 2nd third, and finally finishing. These type of coaches correct players individually and privately slowly guiding and shaping how the overall team functions. Over time you'll get a very consistent product that tends to maintain the ball and provide constant pressure via ball movement. Once this starts happening the team will start beating most opponents. Usually this type of coach doesn't joystick because they don't need to. Expectations are defined at practice and played out during games.

General FYI for parents with a cone drill type coach. The reason it doesn't win games is because cones provide skills but not under pressure. The ability to perform under pressure is all that matters during games. Also joystick type coaches can work against less skilled opponents. However it does not work against better teams. Better teams will know how to move the ball forward and switch back and forth without listening for the coaches directions. Joystick coaches slow the team down because players are waiting for their input before making a play.

It all makes sense after you've gone through it all for several years. Boys tend to respond to non-cone type coaches more quickly. Girls tend to follow directions and do what the coach says more specifically. You don't see as many cone coaches on the boys side because boys evolve faster and play faster. It just doesn't work if you want to win.

This is going to piss some people off as it can effect their pocket books but it needs to be said for the sake of kids. Covid19 & Instagram created some real bad training habits and I’m seeing it take a toll on kids today…

In the evolving landscape of youth soccer, a critical reflection on our training methodologies is overdue, especially regarding the prevalent use of cone drills. While these drills have been a mainstay in developing basic skills, their overuse is inadvertently stifling the broader growth of our young players.

European soccer training, renowned for producing some of the most creative and tactically adept players, emphasizes natural play and situational learning. In contrast, the American youth system's heavy reliance on structured, repetitive cone drills fosters a limited skill set. Players become adept at navigating set patterns but often lack the spontaneity and decision-making skills crucial in a dynamic game setting. This rigid approach limits their ability to adapt to the unpredictable nature of actual gameplay.

The pandemic has amplified this issue, as isolated drills became more common. However, now is the time to rethink and realign. American youth are disciplined and quick learners, but our training has focused too much on the ball and not enough on the game's essence. Soccer is a sport of constant change, where every action is unique. Drills without decision-making elements fail to prepare players for the complexities of the game.

We must shift our focus from repetitive cone drills to more dynamic, game-like scenarios. This involves integrating drills that emphasize decision-making, tactical understanding, and creative problem-solving. By doing so, we not only enhance technical skills but also develop the cognitive aspects of soccer, preparing players to think, adapt, and react intelligently in diverse situations.

To foster a generation of well-rounded players, our training should inspire a love for the game, not just proficiency with the ball. Let's embrace a more holistic approach that balances technical skill with tactical intelligence and creative play. This evolution in our training philosophy will be crucial in elevating the standard of soccer in the United States.

Together, we can build a future for U.S. soccer that values skill, intelligence, and creativity in equal measure.
Gr8t thread Mr. Luis. Let the kids play and create their magic and feel for the great game. Having a "Robo Conehead Coach" is no bueno. How are new moves invented? Not by cones. Play, play and play is Coach Peps philosophy for the youth. Let the girls play free!!!

Having had a daughter go through ECNL, I don't see Norcal ECNL teams doing cone drills at practice. Even the worst Norcal ECNL teams. So not sure why you think that is an epidemic on the girls' side.

It is true that the players on the lower girls programs cannot possess the ball consistently. But I believe that is more attributable to them having relatively poor first touches compared to the players on the better programs than not playing enough rondos and small sided games at practice (because they play a lot). It's hard to possess the ball when you have 2-3 players on the field with a mediocre touch.

I'm not a coach, but through anecdotal experience talking to the parents of players with the better first touches and clinical finishing, they didn't learn it only from playing small sided games, but rather through repetition and muscle memory, working 1 on 1 with a trainer. Not sure if that training included cones, per se, but it seems likely.

Just MHO.

just to clear things up. I’m not referring to using cones as references or markers. Everyone does that and it’s useful. I’m referring to choreographed footwork cone drills. Drills where the trainer has the kid memorize different footwork patterns creating a choreographed obstacle course of dribbling.

For me it's very clear which coaches rely on cone drills and circus tricks like juggling at practice vs more free form but focused 1v2 2v3 and group drills.

At younger ages you see the cone drill / circus trick coaches more frequently. I think they do it because it's a control thing. Some coaches want little robots that do exactly what they say. If you have this type of coach the better ones usually also joystick players. This kind of works against teams without any training at all. The worst kind of cone / cirus trick coaches don't joystick. Players end up dependent on the coach to know what to do on the field and the coach just sits there quiet not helping them.

Better coaches might still use cones but it's usually only for initial warm ups. After 5-10 min of warm ups they go straight into team type drills rondos, small sided scrimmages, and variations of both, from there you start working on sectional movement, first 3rd, 2nd third, and finally finishing. These type of coaches correct players individually and privately slowly guiding and shaping how the overall team functions. Over time you'll get a very consistent product that tends to maintain the ball and provide constant pressure via ball movement. Once this starts happening the team will start beating most opponents. Usually this type of coach doesn't joystick because they don't need to. Expectations are defined at practice and played out during games.

General FYI for parents with a cone drill type coach. The reason it doesn't win games is because cones provide skills but not under pressure. The ability to perform under pressure is all that matters during games. Also joystick type coaches can work against less skilled opponents. However it does not work against better teams. Better teams will know how to move the ball forward and switch back and forth without listening for the coaches directions. Joystick coaches slow the team down because players are waiting for their input before making a play.

It all makes sense after you've gone through it all for several years. Boys tend to respond to non-cone type coaches more quickly. Girls tend to follow directions and do what the coach says more specifically. You don't see as many cone coaches on the boys side because boys evolve faster and play faster. It just doesn't work if you want to win.

great info…

Individual ball work (cone drills, wall ball, juggling) is foundational for any serious player regardless of age or level. Mastery of the ball never stops.

Foundational for kids u10 not for experienced players. Once you have mastery of the fundamentals, you train against pressure with real game-like scenarios. You train your footwork, first touch, etc., under pressure and at game speed, not using cones and at your own pace. The only time you may have to resort to these lower-level Coerver drills is when you are alone, and that’s all you can do. But still, I prefer ball mastery drills, repeating the same pattern over and over again to condition the muscles. Pull-backs, L-turns, etc., because you actually use these things in a game when you are trying to get out of trouble, not choreographed cone drills that you will never use in a game. Remember, you are creating motor neurons for these cone drill patterns that you will never use in a game. It’s not about the number of touches you are getting with the ball, but the quality of the touches matters more. In fact, if you notice kids doing these choreographed cone drills, just look at their head and eyes - always down. Not only are you creating motor neurons that you will never use in a game, but you are also building bad habits like dribbling with your head down because you are too focused on the ball and not the game. That’s also the reason why you don’t attack with footwork. Footwork is to get you out of trouble, not to put you in it. You attack with simple, explosive skills using body feints and hesitation moves that first get the defender off balance. Because you are not manipulating the ball, your head is up. Here is how a UEFA coach from Spain had the kids train dribbling: notice how he split the kids into groups of two, having them accomplish certain objectives that translate to the game. He also went over protecting the ball while dribbling, something no one talks about here as well.

Last edited:
Foundational for kids, not for experienced players. Once you have mastery of the fundamentals, you train against pressure with real game-like scenarios. You train your footwork, first touch, etc., under pressure and at game speed, not using cones and at your own pace. The only time you may have to resort to these lower-level Coerver drills is when you are alone, and that’s all you can do. But still, I prefer ball mastery drills, repeating the same pattern over and over again to condition the muscles. Pull-backs, L-turns, etc., because you actually use these things in a game when you are trying to get out of trouble, not choreographed cone drills that you will never use in a game. Remember, you are creating motor neurons for these cone drill patterns that you will never use in a game. It’s not about the number of touches you are getting with the ball, but the quality of the touches matters more. In fact, if you notice kids doing these choreographed cone drills, just look at their head and eyes - always down. Not only are you creating motor neurons that you will never use in a game, but you are also building bad habits like dribbling with your head down because you are too focused on the ball and not the game. That’s also the reason why you don’t attack with footwork. Footwork is to get you out of trouble, not to put you in it. You attack with simple, explosive skills using body feints and hesitation moves that first get the defender off balance. Because you are not manipulating the ball, your head is up. Here is how a UEFA coach from Spain had the kids train dribbling: notice how he split the kids into groups of two, having them accomplish certain objectives that translate to the game. He also went over protecting the ball while dribbling, something no one talks about here as well.

The highest level pros training may look a bit different from youth but it's still mastery of the ball. Instead of juggling on your own they may do 2-touch juggling with a partner at distance. Instead of cone dribbling they may have a series of sticks they have to navigate their dribble around before finishing on goal. Instead of wall ball they may have a training staff member blasting a daisy cutter at them they need to control before finishing on goal. The drills evolve over time and level but it's still ball mastery (or keeping their skills sharp since they are close to complete mastery).

The highest level pros training may look a bit different from youth but it's still mastery of the ball. Instead of juggling on your own they may do 2-touch juggling with a partner at distance. Instead of cone dribbling they may have a series of sticks they have to navigate their dribble around before finishing on goal. Instead of wall ball they may have a training staff member blasting a daisy cutter at them they need to control before finishing on goal. The drills evolve over time and level but it's still ball mastery (or keeping their skills sharp since they are close to complete mastery).

At the end of the day yes there is a variation of
training and sure you use cones as guides but quality does matter. I would place the these ball mastery drills at the bottom of the food chain for pros. They still do them 10-15% of say the practice maybe as a warmup. Nothing wrong with that. But my point of this post is about choreographed cone drills that trainers are doing. I’ve made my argument for why they are not useful. Why are trainers still using them? That’s what I want to know when the quality of the training technique matters. What’s the benefit of dribbling around cones as fast as you can with your head down? Any trainers want to answer this feel free.

Back