Using Weighted or Unweighted GPA

justneededaname

SILVER ELITE
When emailing college coaches, is it better to use a weighted or an unweighted GPA. If weighted do you say "4.7 out of 4.8" or just 4.7? Or is "unweighted 3.93" better since it is simpler and everyone knows what it means?

Why not just list both and explain the first is unweighted and the second is weighted, especially for an e-mail rather than a form that only permits one number?

Anecdotally, my impression from admissions folks is that they find the weighted GPA arms race pretty tiring. It used to be that only AP classes had weighted grades and there weren't that many AP subjects. Now, not only is there an AP for just about every subject (many of which don't even have a non-AP course option), but in many cases university departments don't actually consider them equivalent to their basic courses. You can get credit that allows you to skip an elective, but not place out of their required courses, which makes it hard for Admissions to view it with the excitement they used to have for an AP course in the past. Plus, some high schools are not offering AP classes and either not offering weighted grades or just calling any course they consider "advanced" to be a weighted grade-eligible course. That's why you end up with a fairly wide range of GPAs from students at different high schools who are really equivalent academic performers.

So, what admissions people will tell you is that they look at the true (unweighted) GPA to see how successful you were in your courses (as opposed to weighted, where you may be using several weighted grades to bring up a lower grade) and they look at the courses considered "advanced" by the school (whether weighted in grades or not) to see if you challenged yourself to take the most difficult curriculum possible at the school.

All of that, of course, means it's really hard for a soccer coach to just look at a single number now and know whether you have the academic chops to be competitive for admissions. That's why both is probably ideal (or telling them if your school doesn't offer weighted grades or if weighted courses only start in junior year etc) and if you can tell them what the weighted GPA is out of, might as well throw that in there too.

I think this is good advice. My daughter used both, formatting it as: GPA (uw)/GPA(w)

If a coach/program is interested, they'll request transcripts, so the numbers are a very small part of the equation. And I've heard the same thing anecdotally -- throwing out a higher number with no context is irritating to some schools who then receive the full transcript and see that it's, perhaps, not an accurate reflection of the overall academic record.

Why not just list both and explain the first is unweighted and the second is weighted, especially for an e-mail rather than a form that only permits one number?

Anecdotally, my impression from admissions folks is that they find the weighted GPA arms race pretty tiring. It used to be that only AP classes had weighted grades and there weren't that many AP subjects. Now, not only is there an AP for just about every subject (many of which don't even have a non-AP course option), but in many cases university departments don't actually consider them equivalent to their basic courses. You can get credit that allows you to skip an elective, but not place out of their required courses, which makes it hard for Admissions to view it with the excitement they used to have for an AP course in the past. Plus, some high schools are not offering AP classes and either not offering weighted grades or just calling any course they consider "advanced" to be a weighted grade-eligible course. That's why you end up with a fairly wide range of GPAs from students at different high schools who are really equivalent academic performers.

So, what admissions people will tell you is that they look at the true (unweighted) GPA to see how successful you were in your courses (as opposed to weighted, where you may be using several weighted grades to bring up a lower grade) and they look at the courses considered "advanced" by the school (whether weighted in grades or not) to see if you challenged yourself to take the most difficult curriculum possible at the school.

All of that, of course, means it's really hard for a soccer coach to just look at a single number now and know whether you have the academic chops to be competitive for admissions. That's why both is probably ideal (or telling them if your school doesn't offer weighted grades or if weighted courses only start in junior year etc) and if you can tell them what the weighted GPA is out of, might as well throw that in there too.
ad

Thanks for the advice. I hear people throwing around these amazing GPAs for their kids but my daughter's school does not offer weighted classes at all and my son's school only has one for freshman, two for sophomores, and juniors and seniors are limited to a maximum of 4 per semester. I realize when it comes to admissions time, the admissions folks will understand the schools and the differences in grading (my dd's school puts more kids into UCLA and Berkeley each year than the "every class is weighted, ultra academic, college prep, private school that my kids used to go to), but a soccer coach that gets hundreds of emails might not be thinking about grade inflation at one school compared to another. In an intro email I just want to make sure they pass whatever that coach has been told is their minimum standard.

Thanks for the advice. I hear people throwing around these amazing GPAs for their kids but my daughter's school does not offer weighted classes at all and my son's school only has one for freshman, two for sophomores, and juniors and seniors are limited to a maximum of 4 per semester. I realize when it comes to admissions time, the admissions folks will understand the schools and the differences in grading (my dd's school puts more kids into UCLA and Berkeley each year than the "every class is weighted, ultra academic, college prep, private school that my kids used to go to), but a soccer coach that gets hundreds of emails might not be thinking about grade inflation at one school compared to another. In an intro email I just want to make sure they pass whatever that coach has been told is their minimum standard.
My dd has old friend with a 5.0 and 1600 SAT, no joke.

Your student is compared against students at like schools. Essentially you kid needs to succeed in the most rigorous courses your school offers. My kiddo started at the school I taught at where IB is the top and then transferred during covid where AP Capstone was the highest. Students are her new school are not compared apples to oranges against the students at her old school. In addition her GPA puts her in the top 5% of students at her new school whereas she would be tough to break the top 20% at her old school. Of course that is difficult as well since schools don't want to give out ranking anymore (and I think ranking tells a story - how much grade inflation is there, how rigorous is the school, how competitive is the school
etc)

Coaches understand academics. That being said, 4.7 is clearly a weighted score. It only gets confusing when the weighted score is less than 4.0.

Most importantly, make sure the school fits academically and "soccer-ability" wise. Look at a college team's roster to see where the girls lived and who they played for and at what level (ECNL/GA) while they were in high school. You can also look at Top Drawer Soccer to see when they were committed.

Good luck on your DD's journey.

I'm late to this party.
The school and class rank matter more. So does SAT if they use that.
This is the reason you do sports for school. They don't really care how smart your kid is if they want them. They just need to meet the bar.

A 3+ GPA and 1200 SAT will get you anywhere if they like your game.

I'm late to this party.
This is the reason you do sports for school. They don't really care how smart your kid is if they want them. They just need to meet the bar.

It was years ago, so this story may no longer apply. My son had a 3.2 GPA and pretty good test scores, and he was on the State and Region ODP teams and was League Player of the Year as a Senior. He got early admission to a UC school. My daughter had a 3.95 GPA, multiple AP classes, and killer test scores, and she was a starter (but not a star) on her lacrosse team. She got waitlisted to the same UC school (she eventually got in).

Have your kid go with the one that makes them look more attractive. Similar to all attributes. If you kid is fast, list a 100 time. Tall goalkeeper, list their height.

I'm late to this party.

Haven't posted in a while, but couldn't let others rely on this false info. The above is COMPLETELY false. I have a 2023 HS grad so have recently been through it all. First, most high schools no longer do class rank. Second, colleges care very little which HS your kid goes to, they just want the GPA - as close to a 4.0 as possible since most HS grades are inflated nowadays (even if they like your kid's game). SAT policy has tremendously changed since Covid. Some schools don't look at at all (eg, UCs), some schools will consider but don't require, a few still require. Some coaches will tell you their school is test-optional, but athletes still need to take. 1200 SAT/29 ACT is enough for many schools, but some of your top academic if coach is asking you to take will want higher - eg, 1300/30 minimum; higher if you don't have a 4.0; Ivy League 1400/32 if they ask. Since the bribing scandal, admissions offices are operating much more independent from coaches, especially at your highest sought after colleges. Each player's situation will be very individualized.

Reactions: KJR
One side note in regards to test scores, while many schools are test optional and/or test blind when it comes to admissions, we found with our 2022 grad that high test scores was a factor for merit scholarships.

As far as GPA goes, my daughter (not a soccer player) put both, but the weighted score is really "funny" number and not comparable as between schools. We were told by a number of admission professionals that class rank is more relevant. However, for admissions its impossible to say what sets individuals apart that are otherwise equal academically...being part of a trendy minority or having a woke story doesn't hurt. All the universities will claim they use a "holistic" approach to admissions, which is just a their euphemism for an "arbitrary" approach. So much depends on the reviewer that gets your kids application.

Having spoken to a few college scouts at MLS showcase events, there are some schools that recruit students first, athletes second...not many though. Academics are still, far and away, the best approach to getting into college and on an athletic team.

One side note in regards to test scores, while many schools are test optional and/or test blind when it comes to admissions, we found with our 2022 grad that high test scores was a factor for merit scholarships.

As far as GPA goes, my daughter (not a soccer player) put both, but the weighted score is really "funny" number and not comparable as between schools. We were told by a number of admission professionals that class rank is more relevant. However, for admissions its impossible to say what sets individuals apart that are otherwise equal academically...being part of a trendy minority or having a woke story doesn't hurt. All the universities will claim they use a "holistic" approach to admissions, which is just a their euphemism for an "arbitrary" approach. So much depends on the reviewer that gets your kids application.

Having spoken to a few college scouts at MLS showcase events, there are some schools that recruit students first, athletes second...not many though. Academics are still, far and away, the best approach to getting into college and on an athletic team.
It's getting a lot easier for the kids, thank God. No more SAT is huge. I'm so happy for the kids not having to stress that test anymore. GPA is a joke. Most kids cheat now and have that new app right all there're papers. I couldn't right write or type fast at all with a typerighter. Todays kid has free spell check and apps that will do it all for you. We need to move past this level of education and learn new ways to learn and also learn to go within. Just my too since :)

1682481467131.png

When emailing college coaches, is it better to use a weighted or an unweighted GPA. If weighted do you say "4.7 out of 4.8" or just 4.7? Or is "unweighted 3.93" better since it is simpler and everyone knows what it means?
It doesn’t matter. Either one. Once D1 colleges can talk with you June 15 after soph year, the strong academic schools will ask GPA and PSAT score. When they’re serious about recruiting you, Ivy’s, Stanford and the academic D3’s will request a transcript for a pre-read from their admissions people before they bother talking more. As some others have said, ~3.5 GPA and 1200 SAT are the minimum threshold for those high academic D1’s. The D3’s have less leeway and you basically have to meet the academic standards of other students being admitted. They all have a formula that’s a bit more complex than that, but that’s the gist.

For California UC (San Diego) and CSU (Fullerton) as examples if you meet the UC and CSU admissions requirements and get your NCCA eligiblity approved athletic programs can/will still help will admissions including this year.

Pre computer days, freshman I had to either find girlfriends who could type or pay per page and I was a broke students so I hung out in the library trolling.

Was the only male in my typing class come summer break, some nice fringe benefits but 40 words per minute, touch type no looking was the only way to pass so I just memorized the key pattern with my eyes closed and practice air keys and I passed no problems.

For California UC (San Diego) and CSU (Fullerton) as examples if you meet the UC and CSU admissions requirements and get your NCCA eligiblity approved athletic programs can/will still help will admissions including this year.

Pre computer days, freshman I had to either find girlfriends who could type or pay per page and I was a broke students so I hung out in the library trolling.

Was the only male in my typing class come summer break, some nice fringe benefits but 40 words per minute, touch type no looking was the only way to pass so I just memorized the key pattern with my eyes closed and practice air keys and I passed no problems.
Classic :)

Also re UCs - they have their own way of computing GPAs - only look at your core classes (they call it a-g classes). AND, they don't look at your kids' freshman year. Sophomore and Junior year only. That's true for a handful of other schools across the country too.

Everything you learned re college admission when you were a student, throw out the window. It's the wild wild west out there now. No SATs, no class rank, no freshman year gpa, etc. Good luck!

Also re UCs - they have their own way of computing GPAs - only look at your core classes (they call it a-g classes). AND, they don't look at your kids' freshman year. Sophomore and Junior year only. That's true for a handful of other schools across the country too.

Everything you learned re college admission when you were a student, throw out the window. It's the wild wild west out there now. No SATs, no class rank, no freshman year gpa, etc. Good luck!
100% Canada. Now if we can just get rid of Math....lol. Basic math and how to manage a few bucks and how not to invest would be just fine & dandy.

Back