Transfer Portal should be public info

If it’s true that many in the Portal are unsuccessful in completing their transfers, I think the Transfer Rate information is lacking because it doesn’t consider those that want to transfer but can’t

I'd view the 40% that enter the portal and don't transfer to all fall in the bucket of those that want(ed) to transfer but didn't/couldn't.

Anyone that as the NCAA terms it "may have left their sport" aren't playing anymore because they didn't find a new school...forced retirement.

Wouldn't expect a sophomore to enter the transfer portal knowing that they have already decided to hang the cleats up...the fact they either didn't get offered by a new school or didn't approve of those offering made their mind up for them to not play anymore. And wouldn't expect the number of players transferring to a NAIA school to be large enough to statistically make a dent.

Other than showing which school they transferred to/from, a generalized breakdown of transfer rates by class would good to see

So imagine this scenario...

Say a player was offered a full ride scholarship but breaks their arm, leg, foot, etc. Freshman year. The coach tells that they're going to drop them from the team (so they can use the scholarship with a new player) if they dont make themselves available in the transfer portal. They go to the transfer portal and nobody picks them up because their arm leg foot etc are all broken.

What I'm highlighting is that all the power is in the Universities not the players + is easily subverted.

Say a player was offered a full ride scholarship but breaks their arm, leg, foot, etc. Freshman year. The coach tells that they're going to drop them from the team (so they can use the scholarship with a new player) if they dont make themselves available in the transfer portal. They go to the transfer portal and nobody picks them up because their arm leg foot etc are all broken.

What I'm highlighting is that all the power is in the Universities not the players + is easily subverted.

The power does lie mostly with the schools (there are some instances with some players where it might shift some but these are young people and they may STILL feel a coach/program holds their future in their hands).

At a P5 school, the school would need to honor the scholarship unless the player goes into the portal but they can make it uncomfortable (that is, they can’t drop the player from the team). Mid-majors . . . Someone else can chime in.

well, they CAN stay, of course. But, the coach knows you entered the portal. ie - you want to leave her team and school. So, if you stay after entering the portal, you ain't playing and you ain't keeping that big (or little) scholarship. So I don't see why anyone would stay even though they could.
I'm thinking a few may be deciding based on the graduate program they get into - especially now with the added year of eligibility. Those types of situations are more likely to be "acceptable" when the decision is to come back. I'm sure that's still the exception at this point.

This is from Nov 17, info from well known recruiting service and they were given the info from coach. No names. The service helps new and transferring players.

Women's soccer
915 total in transfer portal
632 D1
240 grad students
224 D2
57 grad students
59 D3
18 grad students
11 have already withdrawn their request, 6 d1, 3 d2, 2 d3
5 matriculated, 4 d1, 1 d3
This is only kids who entered from 8/1/22 and on

This is from Nov 17, info from well known recruiting service and they were given the info from coach. No names. The service helps new and transferring players.

Women's soccer
915 total in transfer portal
632 D1
240 grad students
224 D2
57 grad students
59 D3
18 grad students
11 have already withdrawn their request, 6 d1, 3 d2, 2 d3
5 matriculated, 4 d1, 1 d3
This is only kids who entered from 8/1/22 and on
appreciate the info! obviously, though, without school names, it's not very helpful to current players. Anyone know if the players entering the portal can see who else is in the portal, after they enter the portal?

The power does lie mostly with the schools (there are some instances with some players where it might shift some but these are young people and they may STILL feel a coach/program holds their future in their hands).

At a P5 school, the school would need to honor the scholarship unless the player goes into the portal but they can make it uncomfortable (that is, they can’t drop the player from the team). Mid-majors . . . Someone else can chime in.
appreciate the info! obviously, though, without school names, it's not very helpful to current players. Anyone know if the players entering the portal can see who else is in the portal, after they enter the portal?

they cannot

Players wanting to attend graduate school that still have eligibility also need to enter the transfer portal. don't ask me how I know this.

I'd view the 40% that enter the portal and don't transfer to all fall in the bucket of those that want(ed) to transfer but didn't/couldn't.

Some enter the portal but still have eligibility in question...my guess is that many find out that they are no longer eligible.

Back