Surf 07 - ECNL

Where they all headed? Blues? Rebels? Slammers? Sharks? I'm assuming after May correct? If enough leave together they could turn around any team/club. I have heard the 09 ECNL and the 2010 ECNL are not happy either. Anybody know what's going on?

The only thing I can guess is that parents and/or players are having trouble swallowing the pool play concept under Deza. There was a huge discussion about that on these forums last summer. Maybe those that predicted that it would go badly are being proved right? I really have no idea, but maybe someone with an inside view will come on here, create an anonymous account and spill the beans on what might be going on. :D

The only thing I can guess is that parents and/or players are having trouble swallowing the pool play concept under Deza. There was a huge discussion about that on these forums last summer. Maybe those that predicted that it would go badly are being proved right? I really have no idea, but maybe someone with an inside view will come on here, create an anonymous account and spill the beans on what might be going on. :D

yes pool play was never a smart move........

The pool play concept of Deza got disbanded about 8 months ago—for many reasons, mostly parents griping. The players are leaving because they don’t like Deza.
Read the 20 pages on Deza in this forum. Some love his style, some hate it. Some are leaving because of it. Me thinks they will be replaced with quality players that want to learn from a coach who knows what he is doing.

The pool play concept of Deza got disbanded about 8 months ago—for many reasons, mostly parents griping. The players are leaving because they don’t like Deza.
Read the 20 pages on Deza in this forum. Some love his style, some hate it. Some are leaving because of it. Me thinks they will be replaced with quality players that want to learn from a coach who knows what he is doing.
Given his personality and style of training, this probably should not have been unexpected. You have one of the premier clubs in the nation with high-achieving teams and likely some were playing significantly different styles of soccer than Deza demands. The skill sets he prioritizes are different from many (most?) other coaches. No doubt that changed some things in the pecking order. I agree that he will attract other quality players with families that support his training, style, etc.

Rumor mill is that there is one thing all of those teams have in common other than the Club name that has created a lot of unhappy customers.
Deza only coached the 07’s so far this season. Do tell! What do they have in common?
Deza is getting the 06’s now.

Heard they are even letting the girls play for other ecnl clubs now instead of playing out the season for surf. Surprising.

Pool Play is still very much alive it just is hidden in a ridiclous roster size and not advertised as much. 07 and 08 may carry up to 26 I hear, 09 and 10's have 20 or so I've been told. There will still be a handful of girls not dressing for a game hence 'a pool player or dual roster'. Good players will sit out games against poor competition to keep the bottom from leaving and allowing them to get playing time, but the core players are not going to be ok not getting to play just because the competition is sub par.

Pool Play is still very much alive it just is hidden in a ridiclous roster size and not advertised as much. 07 and 08 may carry up to 26 I hear, 09 and 10's have 20 or so I've been told. There will still be a handful of girls not dressing for a game hence 'a pool player or dual roster'. Good players will sit out games against poor competition to keep the bottom from leaving and allowing them to get playing time, but the core players are not going to be ok not getting to play just because the competition is sub par.
I agree with you 100%; however I was chastised by several know- it-all’s, that what you describe above is not “pool play”.
College teams carrying 30-35 players is pool play. Man City, Liverpool, Real Madrid carrying 25 man rosters with a u23 team is pool play. Long thread on this forum about pool play. Surf has dual roster players and that is pool play, but not explicitly called pool play these days. ECRL teams are pool players for ECNL. Call it whatever you like!

Back