Stanford Women's Soccer ID Camp.

NorCalUSN

SILVER
Not really asking about what these camps are (unless they are not a way for a University to pad the bottom line.)
I am more just wondering if anyone attended this camp and has an opinion? Was it worth the time? Did your daughter have fun?
Honestly substitute "Any University" for Stanford and tell me your opinions. Thanks

If your player is better than what they have the assumption is they'll get a second look.

Unfortunately the reality is that coaches wont admit that they could have possibly missed a player in their recruiting efforts + most even deserving players will get skipped.

However.. Dont be surprised by a callback in a month or two from an official team recruiter. This way they can say their recruiting efforts are working.

Not really asking about what these camps are (unless they are not a way for a University to pad the bottom line.)
I am more just wondering if anyone attended this camp and has an opinion? Was it worth the time? Did your daughter have fun?
Honestly substitute "Any University" for Stanford and tell me your opinions. Thanks
Depends on the age of your player and what you and your player want out of the experience. If your player is a younger and you have the money and just want them to have a cool experience, go for it. If he/she is an older looking to get recruited, my advice is to generally avoid going to any D1 school "ID" camp, especially one as prestigious as Stanford, unless they specifically invite them. My kid did multiple ID camps and several levels, D1, 2 and 3. The D2 and 3 camps were legit used to assess potential recruits. Those camps are usually smaller and the head coach runs them and those schools have smaller recruiting budgets, so they often really are truly "ID" camps. Every D1 ID camp she went to was just a money maker and a waste of money, travel and time, EXCEPT for two that she was officially invited to attend by the head coach as a senior after they watched her play in person and having in-depth recruitment conversations with each one. One of those was an official visit where they paid her travel expenses. In those cases, the coaches were legit evaluating her for a potential roster spot. Otherwise, don't expect anything more than what you get when your local MLS team runs a summer camp.

If it is one of your kids top 3 schools and you don't have to spend travel money, I'd say go for it. Maybe it puts your kid on their radar. My daughter did a couple camps like that and one D1 school became interested in her. It does happen. Obviously it is better to be asked to the camp after they have spoken with you kid.

The last camp she did was at the school she has already verbally committed to. Gave her a chance to work with the keeper coach, and in her case both current college keepers worked out as well. Two day camp and was amazing. Word might have gotten out that they weren't looking for a keeper as only her and one other keeper was there for the camp. She then got to go head to head vs both in a full field 90 minute scrimmage. Two other players that had already verbally committed were there as well, thus gave the three of them a chance to meet, as well as play together.

No matter what, if you go to the camp, email them before, once again giving links to highlights. Mine always did her youtube channel and instagram. After the camp, make sure you kid talks to all the coaches. Thank them, listen to what they might tell them. Lastly, email after the camp, thanking them. Some find great success in writing hand written thank you notes and mailing as well.

Back