Socal Soccer Referee Abuse rules

Anything is enforceable if you have the power to do it....duh doy. And you still are missing the point. It's not punishing the club/coach/manager for the offense of the offending parent (i.e., the parent showing up again). It's holding the club/coach/manager accountable for not taking the proper steps to ensure that it doesn't ever happen again (e.g., kicking the player off the team, bringing the parent in front of the board for suspension, financial penalties).

You said it better than I could and with one word.
1662147032793.png

1662147065597.png

Ezekiel 18: 20

[20] The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

o.k. I assume the answer is yes. I'm more sympathetic to this argument. I agree there's a certain lack of fairness to it. But again, you have to look at it through the lens of incentives. SoCal is basically trying to get the clubs to sanction and/or kick out the problem parents. If the player can't play in league, they are of no use to the team. Therefore, the club doesn't need to listen to the pleading coach "but I need the kid to win state cup" and to boot no other team will be super anxious to pick them up either because they aren't helpful there either. I hear the argument that it's not fair to the kid.

BTW I don't think this is just a Socal league thing that's coming down from on high. EA and MLS Next have announced similar no tolerance rules against parents/coaches/players. I'm not up on all the differences, though.

Any league with a separate code of conduct should include ones for players, parents, coaches, spectators, managers, and yes the officials (refs) also.

Seen all the above not living up to reasonable codes of conducts or following normal "Golden rules"

Some are called on it, others ignored, while other "justified" there actions or not. In either case refees can be abused or go rouge and abuse back others also so what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

What are other options besides suspension? Attend training or reeducation? And not just for one group, everyone should be held accountable and don't see that with this policy.

Any league with a separate code of conduct should include ones for players, parents, coaches, spectators, managers, and yes the officials (refs) also.

Seen all the above not living up to reasonable codes of conducts or following normal "Golden rules"

Some are called on it, others ignored, while other "justified" there actions or not. In either case refees can be abused or go rouge and abuse back others also so what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

What are other options besides suspension? Attend training or reeducation? And not just for one group, everyone should be held accountable and don't see that with this policy.
Why should a league be responsible for training or reeducating someone that shouldn't be acting the way they are in the first place. As a dad, if I knew my kid would be suspended for the whole seasons because I chased a referee to the parking lot then I'd think twice before I chased the referee. If I didn't think twice, there is no training or reeducation that anyone could put me through to fix me.

Clubs should be educating and holding their parents, coaches and players accountable. The leagues are there to add consequences to unacceptable behavior that, as I said before, SHOULDN'T BE HAPPENING TO BEGIN WITH.

If the clubs adopted apps for the refs that had all team checkin info it would be easy to suspend certain players game after game. It would also be easy to tag certain problem parents so refs game after game know who to keep an eye on.

The problem right now is that everything is manual (often by design) and problem players/parents/teams/clubs all know how to bend the rules + what they can get away with.

At least they're taking baby steps in the right direction.

correct telling the parent to stay home is easy, what is the manager supposed to do if the parent decides they aren't going to stay home?
As a team manager , I would ask the coach to not play the parents player. That’s one way to get them to not show up.
If the parent insist, I will ask for the club director to remove the parent from the club. Bottom line idiot parents need to learn to follow the rules.

Why should a league be responsible for training or reeducating someone that shouldn't be acting the way they are in the first place. As a dad, if I knew my kid would be suspended for the whole seasons because I chased a referee to the parking lot then I'd think twice before I chased the referee. If I didn't think twice, there is no training or reeducation that anyone could put me through to fix me.

Clubs should be educating and holding their parents, coaches and players accountable. The leagues are there to add consequences to unacceptable behavior that, as I said before, SHOULDN'T BE HAPPENING TO BEGIN WITH.
The clubs may not have the will to hold certain parents (board members, high donors), coaches (established winners) and players (stars) accountable. They may throw off the weaker or powerless players and bend the rules for others. The incentives the leagues are putting place is so there’s no rule bending and no slap on the wrist. If clubs could police themselves, we wouldn’t have the infamous problem coaches out there. The only real loop hole left would be going up or down another level to another separately carded league.

I get the point about well what about bad referee conduct. I’ve seen it on two occasions. Unless you are either going to put referee supervisors on every field (expensive) or mandate photography of every games (ea and mls do) that’s hard to implement because the referee is the authority on the field.

I’m most concerned about the adolescent boys. They are hot heads at that age and many high personality players can have short fuses. Kids make mistake and unlike adults don’t necessarily know better. The rules are pretty severe for a mistake including for retaliation or self defense.

And then the question is, who watches the watchers?

Example:

A few weeks ago there was one of those HUGE-ego/little-man guys officiating a game. He had no ARs so he was missing off-sides left and right and we all know how parents react.

At some point, he calls a penalty (which was not, but that's beyond the point). All the parents and coaches protested. He stops, comes to the bench and tells the coach "I don't want to hear it anymore!!". The assistant coach asks "what do you not want to hear anymore?"; so, one of the parents adds his two cents and says "His mistakes! He doesn't want to hear anymore about us pointing out his mistakes!". The ref comes back and sends that parent off.

Up to this moment, even though the ref sucked, everything was fine and he threw out a parent. OK, good.

BUT, as the parent was leaving, the referee started mocking him "you see? that happens because you this or that, blahblah.... and you are an ignorant!!" and all sorts of provocations. The parent didn't take the bait and continued walking towards the parking lot. But another parent heard the referee insults and provocations and took the bait and made the issue way bigger, to the point of other parents ejected, players shown the red card for saying "wow, ref...", etc. All of these would have not happened if the ref just let that one parent go and continue the game. But no! his huge ego told him to provoke and provoke.

I agree there should be zero tolerance, but this doesn't give the ref a license to provoke. And for what I've read in the rules and policies, the league will not move a finger in these cases.

EDIT:
Holy cow!! I just violated the rule 10 of the code of conduct. Well, socal soccer league, bite me.
1664651679892.png

Don't you guys find this rule stupid? If I can say a politician, profesional sports player, singer, actor, etc. sucks online and social media, I am going to say it when a referee sucks too! What is this? the North Korea Soccer League?

Last edited:
And then the question is, who watches the watchers?

Example:

A few weeks ago there was one of those HUGE-ego/little-man guys officiating a game. He had no ARs so he was missing off-sides left and right and we all know how parents react.

At some point, he calls a penalty (which was not, but that's beyond the point). All the parents and coaches protested. He stops, comes to the bench and tells the coach "I don't want to hear it anymore!!". The assistant coach asks "what do you not want to hear anymore?"; so, one of the parents adds his two cents and says "His mistakes! He doesn't want to hear anymore about us pointing out his mistakes!". The ref comes back and sends that parent off.

Up to this moment, even though the ref sucked, everything was fine and he threw out a parent. OK, good.

BUT, as the parent was leaving, the referee started mocking him "you see? that happens because you this or that, blahblah.... and you are an ignorant!!" and all sorts of provocations. The parent didn't take the bait and continued walking towards the parking lot. But another parent heard the referee insults and provocations and took the bait and made the issue way bigger, to the point of other parents ejected, players shown the red card for saying "wow, ref...", etc. All of these would have not happened if the ref just let that one parent go and continue the game. But no! his huge ego told him to provoke and provoke.

I agree there should be zero tolerance, but this doesn't give the ref a license to provoke. And for what I've read in the rules and policies, the league will not move a finger in these cases.

EDIT:
Holy cow!! I just violated the rule 10 of the code of conduct. Well, socal soccer league, bite me.
View attachment 14800

Don't you guys find this rule stupid? If I can say a politician, profesional sports player, singer, actor, etc. sucks online and social media, I am going to say it when a referee sucks too! What is this? the North Korea Soccer League?

Sounds like you have a group of the problem parents on one team that can't handle a bad call, or a few missed calls from an official trying thier best to make a game happen for the players. If their are no AR's, of course some offside calls are not going to be 100% correct. If the coach can't adjust the teams play to work with that reality, then can't listen to the Ref when they say enough, your not going to find much sympathy when the parents and coaches keep getting sent off. None of it would have happened if the loud mouth parents stayed out of it and let the coaches address it with the official. And then the players started chirping in as well. I have a feeling that the culture this team is cultivating is exactly what the Leauges are trying to get rid of.

Sounds like you have a group of the problem parents on one team that can't handle a bad call, or a few missed calls from an official trying thier best to make a game happen for the players. If their are no AR's, of course some offside calls are not going to be 100% correct. If the coach can't adjust the teams play to work with that reality, then can't listen to the Ref when they say enough, your not going to find much sympathy when the parents and coaches keep getting sent off. None of it would have happened if the loud mouth parents stayed out of it and let the coaches address it with the official. And then the players started chirping in as well. I have a feeling that the culture this team is cultivating is exactly what the Leauges are trying to get rid of.
you didn’t read or understood the part where the referee started escalating and insulting unnecessarily.

you didn’t read or understood the part where the referee started escalating and insulting unnecessarily.

I did. But the problem obviously started way before the ref crossed the line. You fault the ref for pushing back, and dismiss everything that happened up to that point; the ref said that's enough and the Assistant Coach, Parents, and Players kept going. To put it in simpler terms: The team fucked around and found out; you get what you give.

Back