Skiing

Spring skiing is here and so are demo sales.

I'm looking into new gear and thought I'd check and see if anyone had first hand experience with Volkl M6. I was going to demo them up in Mammoth in February but ended up on the Deacons ( those were a blast) Aldo looking at the Stockli AX but I can buy a full setup for the price of just those skis.

The Deacons were great but they come with a dedicated binding that has a very low stack height and I was leaning towards the Look Pivots.

Probably go up to Mammoth one more time before I retire my Ikon pass this year so hopefully be able to pick it some demos while I'm in there.

One of the best pairs of skis I purchased was in a Salvation Army store in Woodland, north of Sacramento. They were about 10 years old, but had no marks on them, top or bottom, and still had wrapping tape with the name of a ski shop in Massachusetts. My mythical backstory is that someone moved out to California and didn't want the skis anymore. $40 price tag, but there was a 50% sale on sporting goods that day.

One of the best pairs of skis I purchased was in a Salvation Army store in Woodland, north of Sacramento. They were about 10 years old, but had no marks on them, top or bottom, and still had wrapping tape with the name of a ski shop in Massachusetts. My mythical backstory is that someone moved out to California and didn't want the skis anymore. $40 price tag, but there was a 50% sale on sporting goods that day.
I make chairs out of old skis.

Spring skiing is here and so are demo sales.

I'm looking into new gear and thought I'd check and see if anyone had first hand experience with Volkl M6. I was going to demo them up in Mammoth in February but ended up on the Deacons ( those were a blast) Aldo looking at the Stockli AX but I can buy a full setup for the price of just those skis.

The Deacons were great but they come with a dedicated binding that has a very low stack height and I was leaning towards the Look Pivots.

Probably go up to Mammoth one more time before I retire my Ikon pass this year so hopefully be able to pick it some demos while I'm in there.
Mantra M6 is a great all around resort ski. I ultimately went with the Nordica Enforcer 100 as I felt it was just a little more versatile. The Mantra is a better carver than the Enforcer although the Enforcer can hold its own on groomers. The Mantra is more damp and the Enforcer is more playful. Definitely demo but if I mainly skied Mammoth I might lean towards the Mantra but I ski Utah a fair bit. I love my Enforcers, great ski for a one ski quiver.

I've skied very sporadically the last few years, but I went all in this year with the Ikon pass. Down to a cost below $60 per day and 6 resorts. I know that's nothing for a lot of people, but it makes me pretty happy.

I was in Utah a couple weeks ago and some shops had everything on sale 40% off. A lot of skis and boots left but not many accessories left. Picked up some $675 boots for $300.

Mantra M6 is a great all around resort ski. I ultimately went with the Nordica Enforcer 100 as I felt it was just a little more versatile. The Mantra is a better carver than the Enforcer although the Enforcer can hold its own on groomers. The Mantra is more damp and the Enforcer is more playful. Definitely demo but if I mainly skied Mammoth I might lean towards the Mantra but I ski Utah a fair bit. I love my Enforcers, great ski for a one ski quiver.

I've skied very sporadically the last few years, but I went all in this year with the Ikon pass. Down to a cost below $60 per day and 6 resorts. I know that's nothing for a lot of people, but it makes me pretty happy.

I was in Utah a couple weeks ago and some shops had everything on sale 40% off. A lot of skis and boots left but not many accessories left. Picked up some $675 boots for $300.
Definitely looking for that one quiver ski. I rode up Ch 5 with a guy who had Enforcers. He had skied w/ Stocklis as well. His comment was he could buy 2 sets of Enforcers for the price of the AXs..

Yea, I heard the Volkls are pretty stiff and that's why they are so good in crud but the Enforcers sound enticing to me. I'll need to add them to my Demo list.

Definitely looking for that one quiver ski. I rode up Ch 5 with a guy who had Enforcers. He had skied w/ Stocklis as well. His comment was he could buy 2 sets of Enforcers for the price of the AXs..

Yea, I heard the Volkls are pretty stiff and that's why they are so good in crud but the Enforcers sound enticing to me. I'll need to add them to my Demo list.
Stocki AX's are sick handmade race bred skis, just expensive and pretty much a pure frontside ski.

I make chairs out of old skis.

My skis don't get old because I tend to break them. Skis, bindings, boots -- I keep them until they are unusable.

I was skiing with my son once at Snow Summit in 2010. Riding up on the chair he said "Dad, I can see your toes!" Sure enough, the front part of the boot shell had cracked and fallen off somewhere. I could see my toes on one foot wiggling through the hole. They still worked, but that foot was getting wet and cold. I rented boots and skis the rest of that season and the following fall I bought a used pair of boots in a consignment shop in Truckee. I didn't find much of a selection -- there was only one pair that fit me. I still have those boots in my store room.

My skis don't get old because I tend to break them. Skis, bindings, boots -- I keep them until they are unusable.

I was skiing with my son once at Snow Summit in 2010. Riding up on the chair he said "Dad, I can see your toes!" Sure enough, the front part of the boot shell had cracked and fallen off somewhere. I could see my toes on one foot wiggling through the hole. They still worked, but that foot was getting wet and cold. I rented boots and skis the rest of that season and the following fall I bought a used pair of boots in a consignment shop in Truckee. I didn't find much of a selection -- there was only one pair that fit me. I still have those boots in my store room.
That's a real good way to get a serious injury...

How does the Scotchgard work on your jeans?

All kidding aside the technology in skis today is amazing. Fun factor is way up.

Stocki AX's are sick handmade race bred skis, just expensive and pretty much a pure frontside ski.
That's the thing..

I will never go Backcountry or Skinning and I ski powder fine without needing 100+ underfoot. I was surprised to find out how skinny the AXs are. The Deacons are 84 and I had no issues making quick turns when I wanted and bigger turns on Scottys/Dave's..

That's the thing..

I will never go Backcountry or Skinning and I ski powder fine without needing 100+ underfoot. I was surprised to find out how skinny the AXs are. The Deacons are 84 and I had no issues making quick turns when I wanted and bigger turns on Scottys/Dave's..
Give your self a day on a high 90/100 ski in mixed conditions. You'll be surprised. I came from some older 82's. Took me some time but by the afternoon I had my stance figured out for the most part and the skis just inspired confidence.

How does the Scotchgard work on your jeans?

All kidding aside the technology in skis today is amazing. Fun factor is way up.

Don't need Scotchgard -- the best impact on outdoor gear by the snowboard fashion revolution is clothing you can wear all day without getting wet.

My "fun factor" is the shuttle bus driver asking me "How old are those things?" about my 1997 208 cm Rossignols.

As for the new technology -- a ski instructor sharing a chair with me at Mammoth, after commenting on my ancient gear, said that some skiers with the new tech equipment ski in a way that makes them look like a dog taking a crap.

Last edited:
My little brother, who is a volunteer on the staff at Arctic Valley ski area in Alaska. He is a retired civil engineer and ski areas frequently need engineers to sign off on lift inspections and the like.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https://www.facebook.com/tombahak/posts/2169977056491648&show_text=true&width=500" width="500" height="393" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>

Give your self a day on a high 90/100 ski in mixed conditions. You'll be surprised. I came from some older 82's. Took me some time but by the afternoon I had my stance figured out for the most part and the skis just inspired confidence.
I was a holdout on my Mtn bike for years..26", rim brake, triple chainring, rigid post and long stem w/ flat bars. I knew if I tried some of the new tech I would want it. Kinda feel the same with Skis. Bumps, Powder, Groomers all on one ski. But I see myself trying to find "the one" ski. I was trying to stay below 90 so I can still play in the bumps but I'm thinking I'll just bring two sets of skis with me ..jik.

BTW... bit the bullet on a new bike. Intense Primer. PRs galore..

I was a holdout on my Mtn bike for years..26", rim brake, triple chainring, rigid post and long stem w/ flat bars. I knew if I tried some of the new tech I would want it. Kinda feel the same with Skis. Bumps, Powder, Groomers all on one ski. But I see myself trying to find "the one" ski. I was trying to stay below 90 so I can still play in the bumps but I'm thinking I'll just bring two sets of skis with me ..jik.

BTW... bit the bullet on a new bike. Intense Primer. PRs galore..
If you want a great pair of bump skis have Espola find you something from the early 1990's in a 190 at the Salvation Army. :p

I still have my Mark IVs, 930is and Dynastar Vertical Assaults. A few of those will be Adirondack chairs in my backyard..
Love it. Still wish I had some of my old skis. K2 710's, Atomic Red Sleds with Look turntables, Blizzard Thermo SL V20 with Marker MRR turntables, Salomon Crossmax to name a few.

Kinda a cool place...

Back