Preseason summer reporting dates too early?

Is it just me or do kids seem to be required to report back to college a week or more earlier than summers past? Curious what other schools' reporting dates are? Pretty soon soccer kids won't have much of a summer break at all. Is this another example of soccer coaches just doing whatever football coaches are doing?

Recruits should definitely find out when they're expected to report back in the summer. Hard to get internships, do longer travel, and/or just have a physical and mental break, if have to be back first week of July.

July 8th for voluntary “captains” practices which is at the start of summer classes. Last year was July 1st. Which is very early but that isn’t the official mandatory reporting date with coaching staff.

My kid and the other freshmen in her class reported on June 29. They started a summer school class today (July 1) and they will have a month of captains practices before camp officially starts on July 30. I think it's good for freshman to come early and get a feel for the environment they will be in. Upperclassmen should be given the option.

My kid and the other freshmen in her class reported on June 29. They started a summer school class today (July 1) and they will have a month of captains practices before camp officially starts on July 30. I think it's good for freshman to come early and get a feel for the environment they will be in. Upperclassmen should be given the option.
wow - appreciate you sharing. July 30 completely reasonable. Not sure I would agree that mandatory summer school for freshies is a good thing - all due respect, of course. I hear your point about helping transition, but I would argue that this is more about the coaches exerting control over players vs trusting them to train and come into camp fit on their own. Have the first years come in a week before everyone else to bond, meet captains, etc. and leave most of July for time to spend at home with friends, family, travel, etc. in their last summer before college.

Good to talk about this stuff so recruits understand there can be a big difference among programs -- even the Top 40 -- on this topic.

Best to your player!

D3: Captains camp middle of July and kids officially report to coaches at the end of July. Thankfully they start actual school really late - almost half the season is over before classes start so they aren't that impacted. This was one of the reasons my player chose the level/school - STEM major with required labs and this helped all the stars align.

Kids who stayed in town are all working out together and a bunch of them are training/playing on a UPSL team.

D3: Captains camp middle of July and kids officially report to coaches at the end of July. Thankfully they start actual school really late - almost half the season is over before classes start so they aren't that impacted. This was one of the reasons my player chose the level/school - STEM major with required labs and this helped all the stars align.

Kids who stayed in town are all working out together and a bunch of them are training/playing on a UPSL team.
good share, thank you! School must be on quarters? There are a few like that. Ucla, Ucsd, Cal Poly, Santa Clara, Oregon, Dartmouth and Northwestern, come to mind.

Good they don't go till end of July. I've heard of a few quarter-based schools who still make their players get there in early July. That's a double whammy bc spring quarter finals aren't till mid June. Summer break = only 3 weeks then. Try applying for a summer internship with that availability.

Interestingly, Cal Poly has announced going to semesters in Fall 2026. Better internship and overseas study opportunities one of the primary reasons. https://semesters.calpoly.edu/frequently-asked-questions

July 8th for my kid. She could've started in August, but wants to try and do as much of her rehab back there as possible. Her senior year is bittersweet, redshirt (medical). The team has an exhibition Aug 2nd, so they are hitting the ground running. Good luck to everyone and may everyone be blessed with a healthy season!

July 8th for my kid. She could've started in August, but wants to try and do as much of her rehab back there as possible. Her senior year is bittersweet, redshirt (medical). The team has an exhibition Aug 2nd, so they are hitting the ground running. Good luck to everyone and may everyone be blessed with a healthy season!
Yes, rehabbing there makes a lot of sense to go early. Good luck to her. Thanks for sharing!

July 15 for start of captains practice. Thankfully daughter gets in some keeper training in June and July. First official game is Aug. 15. Might be an exhibition game before that. First official day of school is Sept. 26. League games will have already started.

When is the first day coaches can practice with the players? Good luck to all incoming freshman, as well as returning players.

July 15 for start of captains practice. Thankfully daughter gets in some keeper training in June and July. First official game is Aug. 15. Might be an exhibition game before that. First official day of school is Sept. 26. League games will have already started.

When is the first day coaches can practice with the players? Good luck to all incoming freshman, as well as returning players.
Aug 1

Back