Player who hurts others

Bland

BRONZE
Hi All, we have a player on our team who is hurting the teammates and has a long hx of these behaviors in a different club. the player laughs when hurting others. How long does it take for someone like this to be asked to leave the team. Any experience with that?
The parent is encouraging the aggression
it is very surreal to say the least since it involves little kids

Hi All, we have a player on our team who is hurting the teammates and has a long hx of these behaviors in a different club. the player laughs when hurting others. How long does it take for someone like this to be asked to leave the team. Any experience with that?

What do you mean by "hurting"?

If the player is high skill, it can take a while. Some coaches love the aggressiveness, and only get involved when it looks like it will cost them other players.

I know of a couple cases like that. It has been a couple years for each. One club finally got rid of theirs. The other club is keeping theirs.

I knew a kid like that. After the kid laid hands on mine, I talked to the parent. Parent immediately explained the kid has ADHD and impulse control problems. It was definitely a hard situation for the coach to deal with since he had to keep a closer eye on the kid. After a while, my kid let it be known to not mess with him. Yes, we have had to pull players off of each other. My opinion is that the club is more likely to ask the family to leave if they feel the parent is also a problem (problem sideline parent). The funny thing is that they are now friends as the other kid's behavior seems to have calmed down a bit and they have this shared history.

I told a coach one time that a player of his was not playing the ball at all and just knocking and pushing my little one to the ground at practice all the time. He told me, "get used to it if you want your dd to play college ball and by the way dad, your kid can;t score on the ground so she better get tougher." I played hoops in college and we had enforcers who had 5 fouls to give up and boy did they. A coach that see's aggressive girl player is going to "like" aggressiveness and players playing to go all out.

Aggressive players are good and bad.

If they fulfill a "goon" type role + work with the team they can be a valuable asset.

If they hurt other players at practice + are generally awful to be around they're a liability.

From a parent perspective not much you can do if the coach isn't correcting the behavior. They obviously see some value in it + are allowing.

True top level teams sometimes have goon type players and sometimes don't. Both styles of play work against different opponents.

Aggressive players are good and bad.

If they fulfill a "goon" type role + work with the team they can be a valuable asset.

If they hurt other players at practice + are generally awful to be around they're a liability.

From a parent perspective not much you can do if the coach isn't correcting the behavior. They obviously see some value in it + are allowing.

True top level teams sometimes have goon type players and sometimes don't. Both styles of play work against different opponents.
Lot's of teams had tough guys back in the day that kissed the coaches ass and did the dirty work for coach, like snitching on the other players and some were mean SOB Psychopaths and hurt others like this brute beast. Each coach is different. Bob Knight was a tough dude. My dd coach was just trying to be honest that soccer is a tough sport in college and some players hurt others because of how aggressive they play and if a player get's hurt, oh well. My dd was pushed from behind in HSS and broke her foot. It's nonsense and should be banned.

not the way I would have handled it but DS got into fist fight at practice. Kid backed off after that and the rest of the players started standing up to the kid after. Kid deals also with ADHD and is a nice kid. No hard feelings for any of the parents.

not the way I would have handled it but DS got into fist fight at practice. Kid backed off after that and the rest of the players started standing up to the kid after. Kid deals also with ADHD and is a nice kid. No hard feelings for any of the parents.
It's a tough call. I coached my dd co-ed rec team back in the day. I had a very aggressive ADHD girl that I had to deal with as did the other players on the other teams. One boy on the championship team took the ball away from her and started to laugh and make fun of her and she went full on clothesline on him. He cried and the coach of the other team blamed me. He was like, "control your players coach." I told the guy to relax and told him to teach his kids not to laugh at special needs players. This guy was coach of the year and never lost. He tried to recruit my dd for the next season after we played them again in second half and he said I did better with the ADHD kid. I told him she's going all girls club man and no more rec brah!

Sometimes the kid is the Odd one out and isnt in with the clique, so they feel this and lash out on their teammates.

Back