Memorial Day 2024

In Flanders Fields
By John McCrae, a WWI Canadian soldier, who died of pneumonia while in service before the war ended. This poem led to artificial poppies being sold in Canada and America to support veterans' charities.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Last edited:
In Flanders Fields
By John McCrae, a WWI Canadian soldier, who died of pneumonia while in service before the war ended. This poem led to artificial poppies being sold in Canada and America to support veterans' charities.

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

Interesting that he is Canadian. Did you know England celebrates Poppy Day in November? Poppy Day is their day of remembrance. My boss mentioned it to us today. https://maps.app.goo.gl/VJC6Th8teHVrxBBKA

The only President to be a big fat no for war. Zero wars under Trump. espola wants Trump to go "F" himself. Trump was a big fat no for the wars in the middle east. To all those WHO have lost loved ones in these evil endless wars, God be with you. I'm here to say we have some evil scum that want WW3. The Jesus of the bible was a no for war and soon this earth will be a place of love & peace🙏

The captain of my high school candlepin bowling team --

In HS we called him Peanut, a name given to him by his older brother because of his small stature. I was a Senior and he was an underclassman, but I was a rookie in the league (we had just moved to Littleton the year before) and he was the best bowler on the team, so he was Captain.

After a few years of fooling around in college and the Navy, I was attending F4J Phantom II avionics maintenance classes at Miramar NAS in San Diego. On an off day, I went into the base library and picked up a recent copy of Life Magazine. That issue had a feature of photographs of one week's dead in Vietnam. I flipped open to the pictures and saw Peanut staring back at me.

Last edited:
In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

In 6th Grade, our English teacher was a Canadian immigrant. That was not that unusual in that area because it could be argued that the schoolhouse was technically IN Canada since it was north of the 45-degree-North-latitude line established by the Treaty of Paris of 1783 that had ended the Revolutionary War. A portion of the later Webster-Ashburton Treaty of 1842 confirmed that the border as surveyed and marked after the Treaty of Paris would be accepted as the de facto border, even though it was known by then to be off to the North by a half mile or so in that area.

Since our teacher was Canadian, we had to memorize for classroom recital that poem as part of our Memorial Day ceremonies.

"Today I remember and honor US Army Ranger Cpl Jason Kessler, 1977-2007, who was a man of integrity and an inspiration to many.

Jason helped lead the youth group at my church and mentored many of the teens, including my son.
After Jason's death, a memorial flagpole and garden were installed at the Youth Center, and the American flag flies to honor him, and all who did not return.

Jason graduated from Mount Vernon Christian School, earned a BA in Biblical Studies from Master's College, and studied Philosophy at the U of WA.

He joined the US Army in 2005 and was assigned to 2nd Bn., 74th Ranger Regiment. Jason never did anything halfway - he earned 1st degree blackbelt in Tae Kwon Do, enjoyed ice climbing, rock climbing, mountaineering, anything that pushed his physical and mental limits.

He was 29 years old when his tactical vehicle was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade in northern Iraq." American father

1716764460248.jpg

Thank you SGT Shaver. I’m still here doing what your mom asked me to do… I’m living my life, like your life mattered.
I love you brother. ~ Doc

1716825362105.jpg

Back